Long time coming...

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Hi. Some of you will no doubt remember my name. I used to do this in the mid '70's through the late 80's. I wrote the newsletter for the 409 Chevy Club of America. That was a great experience,we had a lot of nice guys, nice cars, and we sure were about 20 years ahead of our time on this one. Back in the days of Super Chevy, Doug Marion,myself, and the 409 CCA ,we were just getting started. It's great to see that this stuff is stronger than ever.Once in a while, I still get letters from someone formerly in the Club, and even a visit or two. Seems like the club has been mentioned a time or two on this forum.Any former members want to post, I'll sure enjoy it. We're still out here, alive and well, let's yak. Sincerely, Greg

bobs409

Administrator
Welcome Greg. I remember your name, from reading my old Super Chevy mags in the 80's, my teen years. It's because of SC, primarily Doug Marion that I caught the 409 bug and without it, this website wouldn't be here today. (funny how things work) :)

You guys were ahead of your time, that's for sure. :cool:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
WELCOME GREG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I joined your club in about 1982 or 83. I still have all my old newsletters you sent!!!! I met Mitch Akers at the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion 2 years ago!! We talked about you and the "good ole days".
I will say here what I have always said about you..................you had the most practical knowledge of what would and wouldn't work with a 409 engine!!! I always admired that about you!!!
Welcome aboard to the new version. It's absolutley one of the greatest bunch of guys and a couple of gals you will ever assemble!!!! Read thru the posts...........we are having a get together in Eureka, CA the last weekend of Aug. Hope to see you there!!!!

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Greg, welcome to the Zoo........... I'm not as old as Phil (:laugh) ..........so I'm sorry I don't remember you, but it's still great to have you aboard. There are a lot of great guys on here and a lot of knowlege as well. You'll enjoy being part of the group.

Dave

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Well!! This is a nice forum. I spent most of the week reading a lot of it, sounds like people speak their piece, and interaction is the result. My club was that way, several of you remember that, as well. Since the 409 days, I got into racing NHRA Stock Eliminator, have a '68 Chevelle that's fun to drive and competitive, but not the fast car in its class by any stretch. For about 20 years, the Winternationals and the World Finals were the only game in town, then in 1996 or so, they opened Pomona for street legal drags and then fielded an ET bracket team,then Super Chevy Show came there. I raced at all those until that ended(except the last one), by then the 1/8th mile track at Irwindale came along, and the 1/4 mile track at Fontana at the California Speedway, so now there's some regular bracket racing in So Cal. I still have a complete 409 engine, the 12 bolt from my Bel Air, and could put something together with it. I sold my '63 Bel Air to Mitch Akers in San Diego, he had it repainted the OEM metallic green, put a flat hood on it, and a BIG 409 with a 400 trans. I saw it go 7.25 at Irwindale , about the equivalent of 11.00's in the quarter,and we are still out and around. Mitch still has his robin's egg blue '60 Impala that goes 9.60's at around 136 or so with a BIG crate motor,3600 pounds worth of big finned Chevy and all.Bob, I appreciate the job you do here. I know that it isn't always easy to keep on keeping on, but stay by your guns. I never let the lowest common denominator take over and dictate policy. Obviously,you don't either. Incidently, I've known Doug Marion for over 30 years or so, we had a nice visit recently,and we're still pretty good friends. Without the ink and exposure he gave us in the late 70's and 80's, this whole 409 thing would have not happened probably at all. Nice to hear from a fine bunch of people. Later, Greg.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome Greg.:clapGreat group here.:hugI too did my weekend "BARNSTORMING" here on Long Island through the late '60s & '80's. I enjoyed the ride back then and now am enjoying the ride again through this GREAT site. I just spent a few days in OHIO with these maniacs and would do it again in a heartbeat.

:crazy:dance

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just spent a few days in OHIO with these maniacs and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Pretty cool bunch of maniac's huh ????!!!! As I have said in several posts this is the greatest bunch of people you'll ever meet, and you missed a lot of them who couldn't make it this year.
Dave

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Greg. Glad you're here. Been looking for you for a long time. Did the 409 club close uo?? Still in contact with the guys??

Bob Walla, former member from a long time ago.

dynoray

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Greg. Glad you're here. Been looking for you for a long time. Did the 409 club close uo?? Still in contact with the guys??

Bob Walla, former member from a long time ago.[/quot

Greg,welcome to the group.back in 93 when i bought my 1st 09 car i met George(Good ol Mr Reynolds)he gave me his spare set of news letters from your group.very informative back then.talked to Curt Harvey and Mitch over the years as well. hang in there and get your 409 going if you still have it.take care,Ray.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Bob Walla!! Good to hear from you again!! The 409 CCA went out around 1990. I got real busy with work, marriage, raising two small kids, racing when I could, being a high school youth pastor of a church in Arcadia, nibbling at a bachelor's degree( which I never completed),so Mitch Akers of San Diego took it over. I still did the tech stuff and the Club's banking and dues stuff,but he didn't realize the amount of work it took.Doing that Club was like running a small business out of your house. Clubs of 500-1000 members must have been unbelievable. They also attract the attention of the IRS. I never had any of those problems however, but the time came to have me step down and take my hands off of it. It sure was fun,and I sure enjoyed all you guys!! The friends I made are still around, and several good friendships developed among members. That sure made it worth it!!

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Hi. Anybody out there got a couple of March 1984 Super Chevy magazines you could sell me?I want to give one to Mitch,since he bought my car. I also want a few for my own collection. Mine got misplaced years ago. Thanks!!

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Mitch has a robin's egg blue 60 Impala that had a whole lot of 348's,409's, and now a big inch crate motor big block Chevy. It goes high nines.He bought my '63 Bel Air post car about ten years ago, had it repainted the original metallic green, and has a big inch 409 with a 400 trans,and it is a mid 11 second car as well. He ran the Club another couple of years and it got too much for him as well. Non renewals of member's dues also sort of starved it out, as well.Bill Mitchell has a '55 that he ran all kinds of stuff in. He had a chassis builder make it into a Super Gas car, and he actually ran it at Winternationals a couple of times with a big inch 348 block, a set of 409 heads, a crossbred intake of some sort, and it too ran 9.90's. We also had a member,John Halbig of Denville, New Jersey, that built a '61 Impala with a 250 horse 348 and actually ran it in Stock Eliminator as an O/S car. It went 13.00 at around 100. Yes, we were a bunch of racers.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I also was a 409 Club of America member. I'll look in my files for the March 1984 issue of Super Chevy, you can have it , if I can find it. I know I have some mid to late 80's newsletters, and a 409 Club of America -T- shirt. Dave Mills-------dm62409.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Greg, I have the March '84 issue, maybe Bob the Administrator can connect us with a mailing address so I can send it to you. Dave.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Greg, I may also have the March 1984 Super Chevy. I don't know how many you want but I will take a look in the collection of old magazines I have been offering the site members a few monthes ago. I gotta get going on these old mags so I can make room in my attic for that "OLD 409 STUFF"
:crazyButch:dance

bobs409

Administrator
Greg, I have the March '84 issue, maybe Bob the Administrator can connect us with a mailing address so I can send it to you. Dave.

Dave, you can start a conversation with Greg to get his info. It's just like the private messages our old forum used to have.

Just click on Greg's name under his avatar and click start conversation. :)