Lift an X frame with a two post lift?

bschulze

Well Known Member
BendPak speaks: X frame cars

NO PROBLEM BOB! See below from VP of BendPak
$2625 delivered for XPR-10ACX http://www.workshopdepot.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BEN5175942&Show=TechSpecs

Can you take delivery and offload with forklift? Do you require installation?

Here is Op’s manual with install instructions to help you decide.
http://www.bendpak.com/XPR-10 Extended Height Manual REV A 10-26-10. pn 5900307.pdf

Thanks very much! Make it a Great Day!

Dave Shedlock

Toll Free 877-533-7524
Fax 805-832-6834
www.workshopdepot.com

From: Jeff Kritzer / BendPak [mailto:jkritzer@bendpak.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:05 AM
To: Dave Shedlock
Subject: RE: Bend Pak XPR-10-ACX with 1960 Impala

Dave.

No sweat.

Jeff Kritzer
SR. VP. / Sales & Marketing
BendPak / Ranger
Tel: 1-805-933-9970
Fax: 1-805-933-9160
www.bendpak.com

Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:09 AM
To: Jeff Kritzer / BendPak
Subject: FW: Bend Pak XPR-10-ACX with 1960 Impala

Enlighten me grasshopper…see below

Dave Shedlock

Toll Free 877-533-7524
Fax 805-832-6834
www.workshopdepot.com

From: Bob Schulze [mailto:rschulze@iowaschoolforthedeaf.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:21 AM
Subject: Bend Pak XPR-10-ACX with 1960 Impala

Dave,

I was referred to you by Bend Pak. I’m interested in a 2 post lift.

1958- 1962 Chevrolets (and maybe later years) all had an X frame (without side rails). This makes lifting tricky if the arms will not reach in far enough to reach the X. Do you know if this model (XPR-10ACX) will safely lift these models? If not which model will?

As I understand, Pontiacs and Buicks had similar frames in these years.

I’ll include your comments in the 348-409 Forum, as this question has come up with no clear explanation, so far.

Thank you,

Bob

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will measure the length of my lift arms. Mine go out to where the rear lower control arm mounts to the rear of the frame. Then you can ask your dealers the width and length of towers and arms. Just measured lift. Between posts is 109" rear arms 39" short 60" long front arms 27" short 42" long. Hope this helps you make a decision. Scott Hall

No409

Supporting Member 1
I have Forward DP10A lifts in my shop, i can put x frame cars up on the frame. It usually has to be positioned just right, but its never a problem

they were $3363 installed with tax from Gary Bloom Equipment

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Anyone use a Rotary SPOA9 9000lb Asymetrical lift successfully with these cars? I just had one installed and the rear arms are about a foot too short to make it to the rear trailing arm mount.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry to here that Brian. Never had a rotary lift. Did tell Complete Hydralics to keep the lift after two months of waiting and no answers only bulls##t. Got money back and drove to Greg Smith Eguipment sales In Indy and picked up a 9000# Atlas Pro and really like it. Fits dually's and the bottom rail is 81" at the bottom. Works good and smooth. One heavy piece to put together.:eek:

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
brian
if you pinch welds are in good shape, use them. i have about 6 times no problems.
i never kept it up overnite though. jim

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
NO PROBLEM BOB! See below from VP of BendPak
$2625 delivered for XPR-10ACX http://www.workshopdepot.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BEN5175942&Show=TechSpecs

Can you take delivery and offload with forklift? Do you require installation?

Here is Op’s manual with install instructions to help you decide.
http://www.bendpak.com/XPR-10 Extended Height Manual REV A 10-26-10. pn 5900307.pdf

Dave Shedlock

Toll Free 877-533-7524
Fax 805-832-6834
www.workshopdepot.com

From: Jeff Kritzer / BendPak [mailto:jkritzer@bendpak.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:05 AM
Subject: RE: Bend Pak XPR-10-ACX with 1960 Impala

Dave.

No sweat.

Jeff Kritzer
SR. VP. / Sales & Marketing
BendPak / Ranger
Tel: 1-805-933-9970
Fax: 1-805-933-9160
www.bendpak.com

Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:09 AM
To: Jeff Kritzer / BendPak
Subject: FW: Bend Pak XPR-10-ACX with 1960 Impala

Enlighten me grasshopper…see below

Dave Shedlock

Toll Free 877-533-7524
Fax 805-832-6834
www.workshopdepot.com

From: Bob Schulze [mailto:rschulze@iowaschoolforthedeaf.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:21 AM
Subject: Bend Pak XPR-10-ACX with 1960 Impala

Dave,

I was referred to you by Bend Pak. I’m interested in a 2 post lift.

1958- 1962 Chevrolets (and maybe later years) all had an X frame (without side rails). This makes lifting tricky if the arms will not reach in far enough to reach the X. Do you know if this model (XPR-10ACX) will safely lift these models? If not which model will?

As I understand, Pontiacs and Buicks had similar frames in these years.

I’ll include your comments in the 348-409 Forum, as this question has come up with no clear explanation, so far.

Thank you,

Bob

Bob-

Did you buy this lift? I am curious if it worked out for you to be able to lift from the frame.

I am pulling my hair out on which lift to get because I do not want to lift a car with the rear arms on the rockers. You never know what condition car I am going to get in the shop!

bschulze

Well Known Member
BendPak lift

Yes I bought it. I picked it up at the Truck terminal locally as I don't have a fork lift. They loaded it on my car trailer where it remains.

I had some concrete guys cut out a rectangle in the floor to break out Sat. so I'm still in process. Probably early summer before I can get it operational.

Thanks for checking,

Bob

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I bought a Bendpack HD-9 Four Post Lift. Now i just have to raise the roof trusses a little

Attachments

• Velvet 065.jpg
    Velvet 065.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Velvet 066.jpg
    Velvet 066.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Velvet 068.jpg
    Velvet 068.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Velvet 067.jpg
    Velvet 067.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 21
lift bar

Here's a bar I made to lift my '61 on my 2 post lift at the trailing arm brackets. The shot with the car in the air is before I had the drive shaft in. The 2 following are after making the modification to accommodate the drive shaft.

rearbrakes01.jpg

liftbar02.jpg

liftbar01.jpg

bschulze

Well Known Member
lift imp all 300 pix.jpg front pad 400 pix.jpg pad rear 400 pix.jpg

I finally put my 60 on the BendPak lift. It does work. The car must be centered and carefully placed front to back as the rear arms are at their limit; not a big problem.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Lots of very good information in this thread. I don't remember ever having on of my x-frame cars on a 2 post lift, but I've been thinking about buying one. I hadn't even considered it not reaching. I don't like the idea of jacking my 61 up on it's pinch welds. I see later model cars damaged like that all the time.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Lots of very good information in this thread. I don't remember ever having on of my x-frame cars on a 2 post lift, but I've been thinking about buying one. I hadn't even considered it not reaching. I don't like the idea of jacking my 61 up on it's pinch welds. I see later model cars damaged like that all the time.
A four post might be the way to go plus more storage

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A four post might be the way to go plus more storage

The extra storage is nice, but I'd really want a 2 post lift personally. If I need to work on our mini-van or on of the late model F-bodies then I need to be able to drop the front k-member. Something you can't do with a 4 post. Also swapping the rearend or other rear suspension work, exhaust work, etc. are just easier with a 2 post lift. Too bad there just isn't room and money enough for both.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I decided to review this forum posts as I have an interest in everyone's lifting comments and had a sinking feeling when looking at early 2011 posts
robert

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Mohawk has adapters for the arms of its 2-post lifts that allow you to lift the car by the wheels like a 4-post lift. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use those to allow the 2-poster to act as a storage device, too.

Some of the other lift manufacturers may have similar add-ons as well.