Lift an X frame with a two post lift?

bschulze

Well Known Member
I'm thinking strongly about changing an old center post lift to a modern two post.

I have to space up the frame with 2 x 4's on the old single post and of course every thing bottom center is blocked off.

Is there any problem lifting my 1960 Impala with a two post? I assume I'll have to use pick up truck frame spacers.

To go further: Does any one have a preference for a Bend Pak XPR10ACX over a Challanger VS10 ALI-ETL? Both 10,000 pound two post lifts selling for slightly over $2700 delivered?

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thank you,

Bob

Jhall

Well Known Member
We lifted our 61 last year with a 2post auto lifter 9000. We used 4x4's on each side and lifted it on the floor board/seat braces. We utilized stands in the rear to help support the car as it is rear heavy on an offset lift.

Attachments

• IMG_0993_1.jpg
    IMG_0993_1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0968_1.jpg
    IMG_0968_1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 190

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm thinking strongly about changing an old center post lift to a modern two post.

I have to space up the frame with 2 x 4's on the old single post and of course every thing bottom center is blocked off.

Is there any problem lifting my 1960 Impala with a two post? I assume I'll have to use pick up truck frame spacers.

To go further: Does any one have a preference for a Bend Pak XPR10ACX over a Challanger VS10 ALI-ETL? Both 10,000 pound two post lifts selling for slightly over $2700 delivered?

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thank you,

Bob
I lift my 64 with a 10,000lbs Franklyn lift without any problem. You need to shop around for the lift that has the longest rear arms. They have to reach the rear lower arm connection. The front is no problem . My lift as 2 stage screw up pads so I don't need to use blocks or truck arms. I purchased mine about 3 yrs ago for $2,000 delivered to my door . I have had a bunch of vehicles on it with out any problems.
For the hobbiest I couldn't see paying the prices for the big name lifts. I purchased the cheep-o-lift and I'm not sorry. Good luck and remember , do your homework.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have also been dreaming about a lift... I'm looking at a couple of four post lifts that are about the same or less than the two post your looking at. They are drive on, so you don't have to worry about where to lift at. Backyard Buddy makes one that is free standing and cam be moved out of the way, it's a little more ($4000) Harbor freight has a four post 8000# for $2100. There are others out there for about $2-3000.

Bill

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have 2 post 9000# challenger lift and love it. Put the 62,60 and crew cab dually diesel trucks on it. It has the screw pads and tall truck extentions. Love it. Just ordered a 10,000# drive on from COMPLETE HYDRALICS in Franklin In. It is also made wide enough for dually trucks. Comes with 3 drip trays, jack tray and a full belly tarp. Can be portable or mounted to floor. Already made for the jacks that slide front to rear to lift car for wheel service. They have several options check them out. Bottom of rail on top stop is 81'' so us short folks won't hit our heads. The price is 2100.00 Drove over and looked at them and the are made with good heavy steel. The runner plates are one piece 3/16 steel. 5 yr structure warrenty. Good hydralics and can be 120 or 240 volt. Scott
completehydralics.com

dgwar

Well Known Member
I lift my 61 4 door with a 2 post bendpack.
I put the front pads under the frame and the rear pads on the body pinch weld.
It is plenty solid like that and requires no jack at the rear. I position the car just far enough forward so the front door opens. I don't use any of the pieces that raise the pads.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
car lift

I have a Superlift in my garage, purchased in 2006 still looks like brand new.
I like the 4 post lift. It came in one package, see picture below. I paid to have it assembled rather than me doing it. It was not very hard from what I saw, if someone wanted to do it.

This is an american made lift, I love the powder coating, cleans with glass cleaner, the lift motor can go in mutiple locations on the posts, front to back and sides. My motor is not on the side of the post so I can walk by it along my bench area. I have jack bridges and 6 trays for drips from cars as needed. The ramps store on the lift and I bought alumimun ramps(less weight) for removing and replacing them. I also like the diamond plate type ramps -powder coated. It has 10 stops at different heights, yet I am 6' 4" and it will go higher than I need to work on the car if needed, they have models that lift higher than the one I have.

I normally do not have a car under the lift, I did for a time this winter. Just removed the car to work on my 57 - removing headers and my 4 speed.

This company was at Back to the Fifties and Barrett Jackson. I thought the benefits of their lifts put them at the top of my list and I ended up with their lift.
I have rollers from them that lift each post about 2 inches that allow me to move my lift around if needed.

Here is their 4 post lift link
http://www.superlifts.com/fourpostlifts/sr7h.html

Here is their 2 post lift link
http://www.superlifts.com/twopostlifts/s9f.html

Paul Stensland
Sgt. Bluff, Iowa

Attachments

• New Hoist 004.jpg
    New Hoist 004.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 99
  • new superlift hoist -pictures of cars 002.jpg
    new superlift hoist -pictures of cars 002.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 113
  • new superlift hoist -pictures of cars 006.jpg
    new superlift hoist -pictures of cars 006.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 96
  • new superlift hoist -pictures of cars 009.jpg
    new superlift hoist -pictures of cars 009.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Garage pictures 010.jpg
    Garage pictures 010.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 90

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Ceiling heighth?

Paul:

How tall does your garage ceiling need to be to accommodate those two stacked cars? Can you open that garage door when in position, or is that accident waiting to happen?

I spend $500 a year to store one of my cars (generally the Corvette) and might find that to be handy and something I can pay off in four years' worth of rent :).

Really, really nice cars, by the way! I hope we are able to connect up sometime this coming summer. Isn't there an event being held near you?

So many questions!

TomK

P.S. I just viewed your link and it states 74" and 84" max heighth. Which do you have?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My hoist

Tom,
My garage ceiling is 10' 2" for the ceiling in most of the garage and around the hoist area.
The hoist ceiling raised area is 12' 6". I had this hoist opening built in the garage with the new rafters. The closest the rafter opening could get the outside garage wall/door is 5 ft. It only cost $500 more on all the rafters for the house.

My hoist is the SR-7H model. Currently I have my 57 on the hoist with the ramps at 67" off the floor. I can walk under the car by ducking under the ramps. With this height the top of my 57 and 62's is 55" more for a 10' 2" height. I would not have a hoist without the 98.5" width between posts, one narrower is hard to drive onto.

I can go another 15" to the last stop. I normally only go up only 5" to 10" more (the next two stops). You actually let the hoist down onto the post stops, the hoist is then extremely stable.

I currently have my hoist back from centered in the ceiling opening, to line up with the edge of the checkerboard pattern. I can move the hoist forward 1 or 2 ft. The garage door does clear the cars at lower stop locations, they need to be closer to the front of the hoist for better clearance. I watch each time the hoist goes up. The garage door track is above the cars in the pictures.

I will be going to the Iowa 409 meet in August that is mentioned in Events. Also need to go to Thompson at least once. My conflict is to go to a 1000 point show with my 62 SS 409(one in Springfield, Mo the next weekend after Thompson).

The pictures below show the back of the hoist and the front with the front ceiling opening. The red 62 is not as close as it appears to the track. I use the hoist stall down during the summer, many times for cleaning the cars after they have been driven.

Good comment Tom on hitting the door, I should move the hoist forward to avoid a possbily raising the hoist to much, "and" mark my hard rubber wheel stop I have to set the car location further ahead. I have gotten used to the current hoist/car location -without thinking much about a error in raising the car, don't want to damage a 62.

Paul

Attachments

• new superlift hoist -pictures of cars 015.jpg
    new superlift hoist -pictures of cars 015.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 85
  • Garage pictures 005.jpg
    Garage pictures 005.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 77

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks!

Paul:

Thanks for the nice level of detail on your application. Your setup looks like my dream come true :). I've just got a 20' by 24' two car garage and a concrete floor for starters.

I need to head down to the garage and take some measurements, but it's like zero degrees outside and pretty cold in the garage. We got some 20 inches of snow they actually closed the University down late Tuesday and through today. Unfortunately I work primarily online and my classes continue even though I am snow bound in my little part of Columbia.

Say, can I just move my stuff over to your place? Looks like you've got it all figured out :).

Thanks again!

TomK

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have also been dreaming about a lift... I'm looking at a couple of four post lifts that are about the same or less than the two post your looking at. They are drive on, so you don't have to worry about where to lift at. Backyard Buddy makes one that is free standing and cam be moved out of the way, it's a little more ($4000) Harbor freight has a four post 8000# for $2100. There are others out there for about $2-3000.

Bill

You could trade that damn snow blower in !!! :evil

:crazy

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom,

The pictures below show the back of the hoist and the front with the front ceiling opening. The red 62 is not as close as it appears to the track. I use the hoist stall down during the summer, many times for cleaning the cars after they have been driven.

Good comment Tom on hitting the door, I should move the hoist forward to avoid a possbily raising the hoist to much, "and" mark my hard rubber wheel stop I have to set the car location further ahead. I have gotten used to the current hoist/car location -without thinking much about a error in raising the car, don't want to damage a 62.

Paul

So that's what a garage is supposd to look like:?

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You could trade that damn snow blower in !!!

I thought about that also, but the money that used snow plowers bring, won't help my cause much !!!!!

Bill

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I thought about that also, but the money that used snow plowers bring, won't help my cause much !!!!!

Bill

Seems there are some folks east and south of you on here that could use it. Maybe we could all kick in and buy it so we could have it crushed. I wore out my chains on my tractor and Sears can't get them until Feb 17. So hold off on the white sand till then, OK?

bschulze

Well Known Member
Back to lifting X frame with Bend Pak two post lift

Thanks for the replies. The X frame seems to be a problem.

I"m rather strongly tending toward a Bend Pak XPR 10 ACX which I will need to work on the transmission and motor of my 1960 Impala.

dgwar states he can lift a 61 using the frame in front and the pinch welds in back. Does this damage the pinch welds? The body?

I have emailed Bend Pak but no answer yet.

Anyone with experience with this lift and hitting the frame, front and back with the arm pads? Other brands that work?

Thank you,

Bob

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob,

The shop where I get the exhaust work and some other mechanical work done on the 62 uses the pinch weld. I have never cared for it, but have never noticed any damage. The shope owner has GTOs and is very knowledgeable about these cars ??? :dunno:dunno

Bill

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 9000 lbs challenger I have has legs long enough to reach the frame. Have never used pinch welds on the 60 or the 62.CIMG2544.jpg Scott

Attachments

• CIMG2545.jpg
    CIMG2545.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 69