I'm new! And need help decoding my 1963 Impala

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank you for your help in advance! Just got the car 3 weeks ago. These are the numbers I have right now. Car is a 327/300, 3 speed on the column, factory tach and posi rear end. Manual steering and brakes. Could an RD block be the original engine?
Thanks,
Joe

VIN# 31847J222304

COWL TAG
2E
STYLE 63-1847 BODY JA27901
TRIM 811 PAINT 900
C
ENGINE PAD # FIII3RD

HEADS 3782461 Dated J313

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome Joe,Could that RD be an RB? T he info on our site lists an RB code for the 300 horse 327 with manual transmission.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Hi Joe!

Most of what you're looking for can be found in the reference section:

FrontPage.jpg
BUT! I'll take a shot at some of it from memory.

VIN# 31847J222304
3 = model year 1963
1847 = Impala
J - Janesville, WI
222304 is the sequential portion of your VIN

COWL TAG
2E

I think is an option on your car. I'm not up on options and as I understand the codes can change from one assembly plant to another. Someone else will help out

STYLE 63-1847 BODY JA27901
Again, model year 1963 Impala, Don't know about the Body JA27901

TRIM 811 PAINT 900

Trim 811 is Black
Paint 900 is Black
Black on black! Cool!!

ENGINE PAD # FIII3RD
Don is right on. It's probably a 300 h.p. 327 since the HEADS 3782461 are the high h.p. casting.
Dated J313 This one has me stumped. I read it as October 31, 1963 which would make it a 64 model year head.

There are a lot of more knowledgeable guys around here then me. I'm sure someone will stop in and correct my mistakes!

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome. You will find that the guys on this site have forgot more about X frame Impalas and W motors than most people ever knew.

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
After I posted, I realized that I should do more of an introductory here and then maybe start a thread elsewhere on this site about the engine pad. Sorry, this is a little different format then I am used to!
Here is a little history. In the early 80's, I was a young teenager and I would ride my bike around the neighborhood looking for the old cars parked on the street. One day I was riding my bike and saw the front end of a '63 buried in a garage. The man was out cutting the lawn and I asked about the car. He talked about the car, the memories he had in it and the options it came with. Over the next few years I continued to see him and always asked to buy it. He told me he would never part with it. Life goes on.
I get a good job, get married and move to the suburbs. 30 years go by. A couple of months ago, my oldest brother and my 13 y/0 son are at the muscle car show in Rosemont, IL. Afterwards, we had dinner and talked about the old neighborhood and the cars we had, and have had, over the years. I told him the story about the '63. He had heard it many times before. I bet it it's still there, I said. A week later, I was in the area and went to the house where this car was. The house looked exactly as it did 30 years ago! I knocked on the door, no answer. The name on the mailbox is the name of the man I used to talk to! I jot down the name and address and went on my way. That evening I wrote a letter detailing our conversations, added my contact information and mailed it the old school way. A week later, I got a call from the owner's nephew. He tells me that his uncle passed away last January and that the car is still there! It was last driven in 1973.
I went and looked at in astonishment. Here is something I saw so long ago exactly as I remember.
We struck a deal, and on January 3, 2015, we pulled it out of the garage for the first time after 42 years. Here are a couple pictures. I will upload more from my other computer when a get a moment.
Thanks,
Joeimage.jpgimage.jpg

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice save!!! We need more like you. :D

You do realize you saved that 63's life don't you? That probably would have been junked by the family. We lose a lot that way I think. :pout

Not sure how many they squash and strip anymore but I know a pile of them died a horrible death a couple decades ago. :cry

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
AMAZING STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's something you will cherish with you son!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW...nice GRIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry...your engine is not original to your Impala. RD is........................1964 Corvette 300HP 327!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap That explains the 63 production date. It came of out a 1964 Corvette.

Last edited:

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks everyone! I was hoping there was a chance the engine was original. I am trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together. The nephew has pictures of the car when it was new. He said he will send them to me when he finds them. Sadly, John, the original owner, was also a hoarder. The nephew is still going through the house looking for the title and any paperwork associated with the car. The car was only on the street for 10 years and has 80,000 miles. Here it is as I found it.
Fortis '63 in garage front.jpg Fortis '63 in garage.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I bet you'll be glad he was a hoarder before it's over. They will probably find a lot of documents and stuff to help you with that '63. If you are thinking about changing the wheels, I know a certain website administrator who is needing 2 of those hubcaps!!

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A friend of the family came by a week before they received my letter. He did tell them to junk it and that it wasn't worth anything. When I looked at it, I was thinking, man, this car isn't too bad. So I told him I was interested in buying it. He said, how much do you want to offer? I said $500. He said ok, and he wanted me to pay for the title transfer also. I said no problem. I could not see much of the car, so I told him I would take it regardless of the condition of the rest of the car. We shook on it and no money exchanged hands. I had many sleepless nights until I finally got it home!
My plan is to get it running as is. I hope to do a frame off in a couple years. The car has a ton of sentimental value to me and my son. So for now, I'm just gathering the few missing pieces and continue doing the detective work. I will become a regular here as I will need guidance through the process. Thank you all for listening!

bobs409

Administrator
If you are thinking about changing the wheels, I know a certain website administrator who is needing 2 of those hubcaps!!

Unless they are NOS mint condition, I'm not interested. I already have 4 used ones. :D Just need 2 more to complete my set so I'm half way there. ;)