I don't understand

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did taxi cabs and police cars have boxed frames? I know police car 1970 Biscaynes used fully welded frames.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Box frames were popular in Flint, Baltimore and above mentioned. I have yet to see a California car with the box frame.

Kevin
I have 61 impala 4-door Ht, a 61 Biscayne 4-dr sedan both Van Nuys built cars with boxed frames, a 61 Biscayne KC built car also with a boxed frame.
And a little differant subject but my 60 Pontiac Ventura is a Van Nuys built car with a AOS C channel frame...:D

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Ragtp66 thanks for the info! It is pretty wild GM made a closed tube frame back then. It was all the engineering debate when we switched to a hydro formed frame on the 99 Silverado...

The old frames that used the rectangular tubing weren't hydroformed, they were bent on a tubing bender. The C-channel ones would have been stamped. Completely different processes.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Keep in mind the volumes that were being built. To feed all the assembly plants, they needed multiple supplier plants. The different processes were in the different frame supplier plants and instead of forcing everyone to the same process they accommodated existing equipment with "optional constructions" of the frame.

My hydroforming comment was not meant to imply they used the same process in 1961, but the result was similar - a rectangular single wall welded tube with a rectangular cross section as opposed to 2 c section stamped rails welded together. Not having access to the inside wall of the frame complicates designing attachments and reinforcements within the frame. 2 c- sections allow access to punch clean holes and weld nut plates and sleeves to 1 part before welding them together. We had to deal with this in 1999 on the Silverado.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Keep in mind the volumes that were being built. To feed all the assembly plants, they needed multiple supplier plants. The different processes were in the different frame supplier plants and instead of forcing everyone to the same process they accommodated existing equipment with "optional constructions" of the frame.
That explanation makes the most sense of any I've heard before. Especially since there appears to be no rhyme/reason as to what cars got the boxed frame and what cars did not.

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The Assembly Manual calls out the different part numbers of the different frames and noted as "optional" at least back to 55.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
what colour are the floor boards? red, grey, black? over spray of body colour carry over about 10-12 inches?

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
what colour are the floor boards? red, grey, black? over spray of body colour carry over about 10-12 inches?
I can defiantly see at least 12” of white car color on the floors not sure what is under the white thou

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks, I know it is hard when you get going to document stuff... but a few pics along the way would be great for future reference to some.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Does each part numbers for the optional frames have a description of the frame?

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The boxed tubular frames have a series of "wrinkles" on the bottom of the rear wheel arch made when they were bent.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My Janesville 63 2dr ht has a boxed frame. My Janesville 63 convertible has a C-channel frame. My previous Janesville 63 convertible also had a C-channel frame. I've looked at numerous convertibles on line and in person and have never need a boxed frame under one. Has anyone ever seen a convertible with a boxed frame?

Ross