How much work to install the Chevelle 12 bolt in an X-frame car

409EL

Hi, been hanging about here quite a while new to posting, never introduced myself, apologies. Installed a '70 Chevelle in my 61 bubble, took abit of time, I also followed that article but I used a set of lower tables I had to fab my uppers. Trimmed as little as possible and used shrinker/stretcher to get the right angles, then boxed everything in. I seen Paul's adapters after building these ones, if these don't work out I now know who to call, lol. Earl

Attachments

• IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1047.JPG
    IMG_1047.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1069.JPG
    IMG_1069.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 61

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Thanks, hope it all works out, car will be out in the spring, I'll be watching for your results 409er just in case mine needs more work, I can take from the design of that setup.
My Son is a House drafter and knows CAD pretty well. Over this winter we are going to try and do a makeup on his computer program to see if this might be an item to make more of these to convert over to a 12 bolt for more people.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Thanks, hope it all works out, car will be out in the spring, I'll be watching for your results 409er just in case mine needs more work, I can take from the design of that setup.
I can send you a picture of the upper setup if you ever need to see it to make one.

409EL

Yes that would be great, maybe post here also as you know when you researched for your project that there's not a lot of info out there, and would be helpful to anyone going down the same path as to what works and what doesn't. I was inspired by that same article. I'm surprised that some of the suspension manufacturers haven't jumped on producing adjustable tubular arms for this mod already!:unsure:

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
Yes that would be great, maybe post here also as you know when you researched for your project that there's not a lot of info out there, and would be helpful to anyone going down the same path as to what works and what doesn't. I was inspired by that same article. I'm surprised that some of the suspension manufacturers haven't jumped on producing adjustable tubular arms for this mod already!:unsure:
I agree. I would think there would be a market for the modified upper control arms made by Hotchkis, QA1 or something.
I would buy them out of ease of installation and not having to make then myself.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Made a new set of legs for my engine stand to hold the 12 bolts. Turned out pretty well and I cut off the brackets with my Cutmaster 50 Plasma cutter. That thing slices through steel like nothing I have ever used before. Well worth the $399 which inc. a DC tig and stick welder.

Attachments

• 20231207_111057 (2).jpg
    20231207_111057 (2).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231207_113528.jpg
    20231207_113528.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231207_163048 (2).jpg
    20231207_163048 (2).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 26

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Well well, it's Mid Dec. and I get to work on car stuff this year, Woo Hoo. That being said, the 12 bolt with the 4.88's got the lower control arm brackets cut off and the tubes are cleaned and ready for new perches. I also just took out the 4.88's today, I though I had an extra set of 3.55's but they turned out to be 3.08 and I guess for the street they will be fine in the Camaro. I guess I screwed up sort of, I should have cut the brackets off the 3.31 12 bolt and then used the 3.08 for the Kid's Biscayne. No matter, I may use the 8.5 10 bolt that I bought and put my set of 2.73's in it and use that, then sell the 3.31 12 bolt for some good bucks.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Well this one takes the cake. I though I had seen everything putting rear ends together, until today. The 3.55's I thought I had turned out to be 3.08's so great. Now I cleaned them all up and the posi unit is an old 140 3 series so I thought, WTH use the almost new looking one from this 12 bolt and be done with it. Get the pinion swapped over then I moved on to putting the ring gear on the carrier and dropped it in. Moved the ring gear over to the pinion to shim it and get some back lash. To my surprise I noticed I needed hardly any on one side and a ton on the other side, which I though for sure would phuk something up as crap like this always does.

I looked at this very close for a while and thought something does not add up here so I took a picture and sent it to a few sites then on one the guy had a link to the difference between a 3 series and a 4 series carrier. Sure as hell, this rear end has a 4 series carrier which I can't use. What surprised me and was stupid was whoever set it up used the wide 3 series gears on a 4 series carrier and made it work. I ordered a new Yukon 3 series posi and I will sell the others this spring at the swaps. The 4 series looks like new but I am not sure if it's a Eaton but it looks like an older one. The number is different than a GM one 36300 so I a m not sure, but oh well since I have no 4 series gears it's going bye bye. Boy the dumb sheet people do these days. Some democrat had to put this together:laughing

Attachments

• 20231216_101658 (2).jpg
    20231216_101658 (2).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 13

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Well, I got the 12 bolt sitting in the Camaro and the 8.5 is on the stand now. Had to get it centered before I weld the perches on, so I am going to bolt it all up to make sure the tires are equal distance on both side. After that I will take it apart, then check the pinion angle numbers I took before I took the old one out get that set, then play Mr. Welder. Going to get some new street wheels for the car anyway next year.