How much work to install the Chevelle 12 bolt in an X-frame car

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I know people have done this before and I am too lazy to look it up, but I remember back in the 80's Doug Marion put one in his '62 SS in a Super Chevy article and as I do recall he said the lowers were pretty close and bolted right up but the uppers were what he needed to make something for. What I think he did was take the Chevelle upper control arms and cut them and weld them at a different angle to go to the X-bod frame mounts. For me this will not be to big of a swap now as I have more time and talent to do this swap. Any of you others do the 12 bolt swap?, as this would be the last part of the driveline I need to replace. Sure as hell not going to use the crappy pumpkin style rear end if I don't need to anymore.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a 8.5 Chevy rear end with new fabricated connectors to fit a Chevelle 12 bolt that is for sale.
See the connectors in my for sale section on my web site link below.
I am 100 miles from Worthington Minnesota.

Paul

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know people have done this before and I am too lazy to look it up, but I remember back in the 80's Doug Marion put one in his '62 SS in a Super Chevy article and as I do recall he said the lowers were pretty close and bolted right up but the uppers were what he needed to make something for. What I think he did was take the Chevelle upper control arms and cut them and weld them at a different angle to go to the X-bod frame mounts. For me this will not be to big of a swap now as I have more time and talent to do this swap. Any of you others do the 12 bolt swap?, as this would be the last part of the driveline I need to replace. Sure as hell not going to use the crappy pumpkin style rear end if I don't need to anymore.
Don't overlook the rear end width. Make certain your 12 bolts aren't wider

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I have a 8.5 Chevy rear end with new fabricated connectors to fit a Chevelle 12 bolt that is for sale.
See the connectors in my for sale section on my web site link below.
I am 100 miles from Worthington Minnesota.

Paul
So is the $300 for all the brackets, upper control arms and the rear end housing? as I don't need the 8.5 housing but I assume the lowers were not welded on yet.

Reactions: 327

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes $300 for everything in the pictures including the items listed below
New high strength bolts mount the new dual upper arms bracket assembly to the x frame ( there are 6 new high strength bolts used to mount the two arms to the x frame ( 3 per side) & two additional bolts mount the full width bracket centering it on the x frame
Both 1961-1964 lower control arms brackets were welded to the 8.5 housing( they could be removed and reused).

Also includes, not in pictures, both 8.5 - 28 spline C clip axles, both brake backing plates and brake hardware with brakes still attached, and a very nice 3.73 ring & pinion for 8.5 rear end.
The section of a 61-64 Chevy frame in the pictures was cut out and used to mount all these new parts - it was to be installed in 63 Chevy 2 door sedan that he sold

i have a extra 61-64 bare rear end housing that I can sell.
Paul
712-223-1962 cell

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Here’s an article I had posted sometime ago…….

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Yes $300 for everything in the pictures including the items listed below
New high strength bolts mount the new dual upper arms bracket assembly to the x frame ( there are 6 new high strength bolts used to mount the two arms to the x frame ( 3 per side) & two additional bolts mount the full width bracket centering it on the x frame
Both 1961-1964 lower control arms brackets were welded to the 8.5 housing( they could be removed and reused).

Also includes, not in pictures, both 8.5 - 28 spline C clip axles, both brake backing plates and brake hardware with brakes still attached, and a very nice 3.73 ring & pinion for 8.5 rear end.
The section of a 61-64 Chevy frame in the pictures was cut out and used to mount all these new parts - it was to be installed in 63 Chevy 2 door sedan that he sold

i have a extra 61-64 bare rear end housing that I can sell.
Paul
712-223-1962 cell
I will call you later this week to see what we can work out. Thanks.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Here’s an article I had posted sometime ago…….
Well if I read this right, the lowers on a Chevelle 12 bolt are the same alignment as the 58-64 lower brackets, interesting.
12 bolt.jpg

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
So, I read and re-read this a few times. What comes to mind is that if it's nearly a direct bolt in, why do we not have done it more? Or along the same lines, a swap kit offered with the upper arms already made with the proper bends in them? I would also think that a 10 bolt rear would be a little stronger than our factory units that we run.
The pictures in the article shows what looks like the uppers were welded together to use the Chevelle upper mounts. Would it be gust as easy, or better to weld new mounts to the tubes and not worry about fabricating upper mounts? This has me thinking that I may try to go this route next year as I start to tackle the rear come spring.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
So, I read and re-read this a few times. What comes to mind is that if it's nearly a direct bolt in, why do we not have done it more? Or along the same lines, a swap kit offered with the upper arms already made with the proper bends in them? I would also think that a 10 bolt rear would be a little stronger than our factory units that we run.
The pictures in the article shows what looks like the uppers were welded together to use the Chevelle upper mounts. Would it be gust as easy, or better to weld new mounts to the tubes and not worry about fabricating upper mounts? This has me thinking that I may try to go this route next year as I start to tackle the rear come spring.
I will let everyone know how this goes next year when I get ready to do the rear end install. I am sure this 8.5 would be a strong rear end in our car also as I have beat the snot out of the one in my Camaro for the last 30 years with BBC's and nitrous shots running in the low 10's at times.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Got to meet Paul and purchased the frame adapters and 10 bolt from him today. A long drive to meet up but I enjoy it and meeting new people.
Going to be a good year in the driveline dept. me thinks in '24.
No pictures?? :dunno

425/409ER

Well Known Member
So I am catching all kinds of hell for this kind of swap and the 9" ferd guys are all over me to buy one of those rear ends to do this swap. I have to laugh as I told most of them "I am a fabricator I can make things you can't" LOL. No matter what, our car will have a new rear axle assy in it, be a 10 or 12 bolt, it's going to happen next year. I can't wait to get this done and dive the car like a stole it:roll