How big is big enough?

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Old thread, but here's my $.02...

We currently have:
  • A two-story "barn/garage" that is in the shape of an L. The long leg is 24x60 and the short one is 12x24.
  • 24x24 two stall garage
  • 24x36 two stall w/ undoored stall
  • 24x36 house attached three stall

All of which are full to the brim with cars and parts. We will actually need to build another building if we purchase any more cars and keep them indoors. We already have 3 daily drivers and some pre-'48 residing outside.

Moral of the story... even though you think you can't afford it, go with as big of a building you can fit on the lot. Since you're planning on doing yearly "upgrades" already, just tack on an extra year and spread out the costs a bit more. The initial "sticker shock" may seem daunting, but in the end you'll be glad you went BIG. Especially since these '58-64 cars aren't Geo Metro sized.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good suggestions

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Personally, I have decided to go with the 40' by 60' steel building with a concrete floor and basic utilities. At this time, I have excavated the site, done the basic leveling, got the building permit (it's in the city limits), and settled on the building vendor.

Thanks to all of you who have chipped in with your experiences and suggestions. What started as an "out of pocket" 30' by 24' pole barn on a gravel floor is now being planned on a greater scale :) :) :) I still have a long way to go, and I am the erector (if you will), but I look forward to accomplishing this before the snow flies (I am a weekend warrior with some weeks to donate as well).

And yes, I am taking on some debt instead of paying cash (as the price tag has elevated). Good time to borrow money!

The only regret I have is that it is taking a lot of time from my hobby while I redirect my effort to do this project. I think in the long run I will be happen I did this.

Thanks again for all your input!

Best,
Tom K