How big is big enough?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Guys:

This is probably a dumb question, and maybe not the right thread/Forum, but here goes:

My wife of 23 years finally "approved" me to build a free standing shop. I've been working in the two car garage (she calls it a "one car garage" because there's always been a disassembled vehicle up on stands there this past year) which is part of the house (there's living space adjacent to and above it). She has such a good nose that I get called to the carpet everytime I think about painting something, etc. So she says "Why don't you just build yourself a shop out at the Farm?". We are fortunate enough to have a couple (actually 5) acres about 4 miles away, but we don't live there. I also restore old houses and this had the original 1904 farmhouse that I have taken a shine to..

Never one to let an opportunity to pass me by, I have defrayed all summer projects (read "work on X-frame cars) to focus on building this shop. First I had to meet the "City Fathers" to get approval to build it (I asked for and got a variance in the building lot lines). Now I am working up plans for construction. My plans are that it will be a pole barn (since it's out of pocket, I am forced to go with less expensive construction techniques, and to put a limit on the short term costs). It will have a gravel floor in its first year. Every year I plan to add something (concrete, electricity, lighting, plumbing, beer tap refrigerator, the important stuff). I will rough in the various utilities under the gravel, but will not connect them in Year One (to costly, plus there's those damn inspectors who won't let you wire or plumb your own place). This will be simple pole construction with cheapo metal siding and roof, no internal posts, no insulation. But first I have to decide on the dimension.

Being on unplatted raw acreage the city says I can make this any size I want (and it's within City Limits!). What limits me is $$$ for the initial outlay. My first notion was to go with a 30 by 24. My buddies talked me out of that, and next it grew to 30 by 40.

Then I looked at local pole barn kits and kinda settled on a 30 by 50 design. Then I drew sketches of the internal layout and wondered if that 30 foot depth might be a limit. Our cars need at least 18 feet and it would be nice to be able to stack them 2 deep.

The space will need to accomodate three finished cars, soemday four, each a driver with a separate garage door. I want those doors to be at least nine foot across. There will be one side door, probably a slider framed wth wood and skinned with the same metal siding, that opens to 14-15 feet (for trailers and towing if needed). Through that door I will roll/tow my parts and donor cars (about 5 all total, but that seems to be growing). I am targeting about 13 by 20 for a vehicle, especially the drivers. I will pack the parts cars tighter. When I do the math, I exceed 1500 square feet...

The lot can easily take a 40 by 50 building, but since I am on a budget, I am reticent to put that much $$$ into it up front. I am figuring roughly $5 per square foot to get the building up over a gravel floor (I call that Year One). At 40x50 that comes to $10K, a bit over my budget ( I have mentally allocated $7500, and still have to figure out where that's actually coming from. I bet I spend $20K on it over the next 5 years... but that includes concrete, plumbing, electrics, a lift, overhead lighting, compressors and other necessities).

I have enough experience to realize that you always need more space than you thought, and that once it's up, it's hard to make it bigger. I am also aware that there will be things I am not thinking about that will cost more money than I ever imagined. But I am dealing with a limited amount of resources in Year One. Plus Barb thinks this will cost like $1500 dollars, because she is thinking "two car garage", I am thinking "Big Shop". I will never tell her the real situation. She NEVER goes out there :)

Personal stuff aside (I plan on staying married to her), would you go for the big foot print in Year One, or settle for a smaller more affordable size and deal with it in a healthy matter? I think I can guess what CPG would do, build an airplane hanger! But this shop will generate no revenue, just support the hobby. And it has to be able to be built by me, and I am not a carpenter (but I am handy and have an attention to detail, and two strong teenagers who will eventually inherit all this stuff). A hobby built shop should be able to be constructed over time, you should be able to walk away for a week to do other stuff while it's going up, it has to be simple, and cost needs to be contained.

All suggestions are welcome. Talk me out of a pole barn if you feel so inclined. Convince me it should be stick built (more expensive, right?) Tell me the per square foot estimates are way off. Give me some opinions on garage door widths and ceiling heights (side walls). I have absolutely no experience in this, but have checking out other people's shops for some time now. I know 30 by 40 ain't gonna cut it.

Not having any experience in this, and this being a Big Deal to me, I don't want to mess up on the planning, be shortsighted, cut on quality, and in general wish I had done more planning. I've looked at Chevy Talk and a few other places, and that's how I got as far as I have. Everybody says "bigger is better", but the limit is cash available. Thanks in advance for your comments and considerations. And wish me luck.

When it's all over (at least when the shell is up) I plan to have a big party and you are all invited. Maybe by then I will have the 1/8 mile concrete ribbon in place (on that same property) and we can run some grudge matches... (That's my dream!).

Cheers,

Tom K in Columbia, MO

Hippie

All I can tell you is that I built myself a 24 X 30 "playhouse" behind the house and it is in no way close to big enough. I'm already thinking of expanding it.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
40 X 50 !!!!

Any smaller and you wished it was bigger !

RULE # 1 ,,,,,,,, If your happy with 30X40,,,,,,build it 40 X50 !!!

RULE # 2 ,,,,,,,, you will spend just a bit more the first time
or spend a lot more to add on !!

My quarters worth !! ,,dq

I

IgnitionMan

I just looked at an ad for buildings in a new Drive magazine yesterday. When I move out of L.A., there'll be a need for a big building "out back".

The ad I saw had prefab buildings that the purchaser could assemble easily in a fair time period, over your poured slab. I didn't think too much of it, as I'm not ready for one just yet, but I'm going to do so when the time comes. Didn't see what material was used, either.

I had a shop in Merced, Ca., heart of the Central Valley, and hotter than heck in the summer months, Butler type Stran steel building, had inside drywall walls, and insulation, false drywall cieling, and could not keep it warm in the winter or cool in the summer. It had a fan that came on for attic ventilation when the attic temps reached 105/F. That fan ran from 5:30 AM to 3:00 AM every day during the summer. I ran fans through the building in the summer, still couldn't get it cool. A/C didn't help, either.

We have a place out here, advertizes all the time on the TV, Tough-Shed, some sort of plastic or composite buildings, have to check them out too.

Also, I've always found that if you are positive sure you only need a 30 x 50 building or whatever size, you will fast realize the first time something has to be left outside, you needed a bigger building.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good suggestions

I like the suggestions you guys are making. TMRacing has a point, borrow the $$$ and do it right. I have been asking myslef why I don't do just that..... Don't know the anwer right now.

I am looking into metal structures as well, and ocassionally I see ads in my local paper about buildings that are supposedly ordered and the buyer does not follow through. So far these have been a bust (they try to sell you "up" a bit after telling you those are all gone, or those aren't really that good, etc.).

I helped my buddy put up a rough 40 by 50 a few years ago and the costs are predictable. at least for the poles and metal. I bet if I did make a pole barn I end up stick framing some space within that to include HVAC and such. Overall my costs would be less to do it right the first time, but I have a hard time pulling the trigger.

My time and labor are FREE (at least to me) and I have about 2 months off this summer, plus two strong boys to assist me. Starting June 10th I am clearing the lot with a bobcat. Need to take some trees down and possible bring some clay in, so there's some more $$$.

Next year I am planning on carving the rest of the 5 acres up into lots (they are zoned for two family houses) and building 15 structures. My plan is to get this rough structure up then when I am doing this "subdivision" I will have lots of hired labor and materials left over (I will "over purchase"), plus access to concrete and things I can "blend" into the big project.

The reason I am cutting costs this first year is to look good when I go to the bank and ask for a bazillion dollars to build these 15 or so houses. We plan on keeping them and renting them out. One thing I'm good at is borrowing money and making payments. Long term I get my play place, a bunch of housing paid for by tenants, and someting to pass along to the boys. The city won't let me put this pole barn up once I plat and subdivide, so I'm putting it up quickly just to get it done, then going in with plans to divide the property right after I finish.

I won't make any money since I'm not selling anything off. I'm taking the risks involved (owning rentals and having huge debt) since I am going nowhere within the University (salary wise) and after 26 years of hard labor I'm still about where I was when I started (in a relative financial way). But in the end it is up to me to take control. This is my first step, and I have been planning it for some time, but my wife is concerned about taking the risk.

The neat thing is if I do get the loan package for the subdivision, for a while I will have my own private 800 foot strip of concrete. Drag city!

Now you know the whole plan (watch me go down in flames, as if anyone cares). I'm thinking long term and in that picture it's OK to side step the car hobby for a year or two or three to get this project going. But everything I do is a zero-sum tradeoff of time and money, and at this point in life (52) I feel a bit pressed for time.

Sorry about the details, and the bitching, but it been my dream to do this for years. Instead I spent time with my boys instead of working smart and leveraging my talents (getting other people to do things for me). I want to get the structure up quickly and get on with the planning for the big picture. I'll never win the lottery (I don't even buy tickets) but hopefully this effort will afford me to pass something debt free on to the boys, who deserve it.

Keep those suggestions coming. One thing that I constantly think about is, if I'm so willing to go into debt a couple million, why be so cheap up front about the hobby place? In the big picture it's a drop in the bucket. I think it's the cheapskate within me that says with hard effort one can accomplish anything...and I like to do things in stages. Donald Trump I am not!

Best,

Tom`

Fabric Master

Building

For my 2 cents worth, talk to accountant and attorney. If you are going to be a general contractor with this property, you might be able to incorporate and write off a decent building as a business expense. In the area I live as well as your area, Morton Buildings are hard to beat, any design and in any state of completion. They are a very good building. Good luck.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
More good suggestions

Fellow "W heads":

Your suggestions had me thinking all last night. AM out of town for a month and have lots of free time on my hands (but no cars). I have sketched this structure over and over again on paper. The lot can accomodate a 40 by 50 but not much more (due to building line restrictions).

I have been working with an Engineer to "carve up" the acres, but have no contacted an attorney, an accountant, nor a banker as yet. These are excellent suggestions, and I will likely pursue them. As outside consultants, you are all welcome to come visit anytime (I should buy the plane tickets :) ).

I am planning on doing all the General Contracting myself. I have done this before on a smaller scale and enjoy the challenges. Plus my wife gets a carte blanche open ticket to purchase ANYTHING she wants for these units, and she does love to shop! It's a happy balance.

Back to the structure -- I am going to seriously explore metal buildings in the 40 x 50 range. Will look at loan packages as well, as I cannot pay outright for these. We are hot in the summer months and while winter is brief, it can get cold. No way would I ever be able to heat or cool an open pole barn structure, it would have to be internally framed up (a huge disadvantage). As this will be a long term permanent "hobby place", I should think more about doing it right, not doing it cheaply. I guess I'm just a stubborn Bohemian about such things...

Planning is the key to every project I do, but it's also fun to just wing it. I've made a lot of mistakes by not planning, but none too serious. I need to begin to think that this "hobby shop" should be the spoils I get for doing all this work and taking all this risk. When I did an addition to our 1927 house five years ago, I secretly acquired and restored a 1963 Corvette coupe -- that was my "cost" for doing the general contracting work (in which I save 15% on a six figure addition to the house -- more than the cost of the 'Vette!). This project being bigger, I should receive more, right?

Onward with the plans -- next I look at the Morton site!

Thanks again,
Tom K.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Buildings

I am in the building industry and I'm not trying to spend your money as one of the guys said. But if you are like the rest of us and want more bang for the buck stay away from national chains that sell buildings. It is like having a bug spray outfit spray your house, you can have the national chain guy in his nice uniform come out for 1000 dollars or have a local guy come out for 400 dollars. If it were me I would spring for a metal building with at least 12 ft walls( lift someday). There are a wide selection of metal buildings and they are a lot better than wood. I don't sell metal buildings or pole barns , I work for a concrete company. I usually get to see buildings go up from the ground and the metal buildings are by far better. There are some guys that make metal over in Oklahoma who could probably make you up a kit for any size and specs you want. I don't know them personally but I have seen some of their buildings. Since you're not going to live there, security is going to be concern. We poured a 30 by 50 building for a gun dealer completely out of concrete roof and all. He wanted security. :) Roy

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Place in Oklahoma?

Roy:

Thanks for the input about metal vs. wood. After the sugestions I have received so far, I have decided to look into metal as a possibility. I have contacted some a few week's back, but so far I haven't found one I like and can afford. I did look at the Morton site, but they seemed a bit pricey (maybe it's me).

Can you give me that lead on those fellows from Oklahoma?

We should get together sometime this summer with Tom O., as we all live near one another. Maybe we can "pit" for Tom O. when he drags in KC !

regards,
Tom K.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Give me a day or 2 to come up with some phone numbersand I'll get back to you. You live in Columbia don't you? I went to high school for a year in Sturgeon, which is near Columbia. Yeah I would love to make the trip I just have to make arrangements for care for my mother so my wife and I can go together. I would love to get together with a bunch of guys that undestand W motors. It's very lonely being the only W motor at the drags.:cheers Roy

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
You bet!

Roy:

I am in Chapel Hill, NC for the moment (and the past 3 weeks). Will return to Columbia this weekend for summer session at MU. My time is very flexible this summer (hope to be bobcatting that lot soon!). I have been in touch with Tom O. in the past and he indicated that we should get together. I wa thinking the K.C. drags would be one option. I think Tom O. goes there a lot. Is that where you race?

You have the only running "W" motor in the group, but both Tom's hope to catch up to you soon! At the rate I'm progressing, it looks like Tom O. will beat me to the punch :(

Best,
Tom K

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I race my 58 at MOKAN and at Rogersville near Springfield, MO. It would be an overnighter for us to go to KC. But that would be great. Since I took my mother out of the nursing home and started taking care of her at home it has really cut into our getting away when we want to. So when we go anywhere together we have to do some planning. My lowly 58 is not as fast as your 409's but I love it. I just wish I could get it to go as fast as my old Biscayne super stocker. My old 58 went a best of 102 mph and 13.87 et at Pomona, CA in Jan. of 1959. That was was with bias ply 8.00X 14 and all stock Chev. parts except a set of Hedman headers. It would run at least 101 and 14 flat at all the tracks. Raced every Sat and Sun for a year what I wouldn't give to go back in time.:D Roy

bobs409

Administrator
Originally posted by tripowerguy
Raced every Sat and Sun for a year what I wouldn't give to go back in time.:D Roy

If you ever find a way, please take me with you Roy! I would be happy to never see another SUV or minivan again. :D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We have a great jazz radio station here that on Friday`s from 4 til 2 AM plays the greatest Blues !!
The blues song of the year is called " Them S.O,B,`s in their S.U.V.`s " !! Outragous blues song,,,,,,,dq

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom K - I have never been disapointed with spending the extra money up front on a project. Spending the extra dollars now will give you a much better building and it will hold if not gain in value over the years!

Tom and Tripower - lets try to find a show or something that is more central for EVERYONE. I welcome you guys to the strip, but after watching my slug run down the strip there is not much more to do, except look over the swarm of import guys. I wish the the Nastalga Super Stock guys were running alittle closer to us. They do run up by St. Joe but that would be a haul. Let get some off line email going and get something planned.

TomO

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Road trip?

Tom O. :

Since Roy is a bit more tied to the area that you or I, perhaps we can arrange to meet up with him at one of his "regular haunts". Both you and I need to see a "W" engine in action, so we can move on with our own projects !!!

Here's how to get 'hold of me directly:

kochtanekt@missouri.edu
(573) 874-3730

I am currently in North Carolina, due home this weekend (after three weeks). I told my wife the first person I see with a mattress tied to their back is the Lucky Lady (I was hoping it would be her....)

Cheers,
Tom K

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom K. here are a couple of metal building suppliers. Midwest buildings, www.mwbuilding.com and Gravette Metal Sales. Gravette Metal Sales is advertising a 40X60X12 shop building for $9850.00 . They don't have a web site but their phone is 1-800-297-3157. I have not personally delt with this people just have seen some of their buildings.
Now to getting together, how far is MO-KAN from you guys? It is near Joplin , MO. You can contact me at royed@mo-net.com or 417-271-4939. We could meet at Rogersville which is at Springfield, MO but it is only a 1000 ft. strip. So far the ricers have not invaded either one of these strips. Contact me if you are interested and I can come up with some event times. Also I'm open to any other places you can come up with. :cheers Roy

todd

Hey Tom K

I applaude your choice to move forward to a challenge. In the past I have past up opportunities that I knew would work but was too afraid to take the chance and then someone else jumped and landed in big pile of cash.

A teacher told me once that "safe money is no money". The only time you make big money is when you take big chances. You just have to make sure the chances are in your favor haha.

So now I am starting to look for good opportunities or ideas. If anyone has got any good ideas let me know hehehe. I promise I'll thank you if i get rich with it hahaha.

Good luck tom

Todd

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
pole shed

tom
I recently helped my brother and father put up a couple of sheds. They were built using chicken house purlings. They were able to find an old house 30x150 the guy wanted torn down and buy everything for 2000 dollars. I dont know if the industry is as big in missouri as it is here in alabama but if you could find someone who builds them these are pretty reasonable sheds. They basically use the purlings a couple of 2x4s between each one to stabalize them and we used 20 ft 6x6s for posts then bought new tin. You can always just add on more and go longer with them. They are also open underneath with no posts to get in the way.:cheers

Wrencher

size!

This post reflects the same needs I have. I agree COMPLETELY with the sentiment that you need to establish a large enough footprint, or regret it later. I'm your age, and 40x60 is my minimum now. I agree with getting it up and adding the whistles and bells later, and will do the same. I have an airplane hanger now that I share (with the guy that has the plane!), but it is basically just secure storage.

Hans