Help with 409 number identification

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
As a kid I collected coins and they sold some acid drops for bringing up the dates-used it some on worn Buffalo nickles worked on some others not.

57Chevy_409

Though the assembly date and possibly VIN might be interesting, I really don't understand why the factory would bother giving a Julian Date code "233" for the month and day without offering any clue as to the year it was cast? Those other numbers don't offer anything else?IMG_5548.JPG

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I found it interesting your 422 block had 814 cast into it also. Had to go look at 2 blocks that I had handy. Blocks were 422 but had 814 under the timing cover. You pic was from behind the flywheel. I was to lazy to stand these on their nose to look. I had a 330 or 361 FE truck block years ago that had "427" cast into the back end like yours. It also had a boss for drilling for side oiler oil passages.
Jeff

427John

Well Known Member
Jeff that was extremely common on FE blocks from the 66-67 timeframe,its like they used just that back portion of that mold on the blocks but unfortunately none of the other attributes of the 427 block were present. I can't remember how many guys told me they had a non crossbolt 66 427 block that was bored to 390 size.:)

427John

Well Known Member
I found it interesting your 422 block had 814 cast into it also. Had to go look at 2 blocks that I had handy. Blocks were 422 but had 814 under the timing cover. You pic was from behind the flywheel. I was to lazy to stand these on their nose to look. I had a 330 or 361 FE truck block years ago that had "427" cast into the back end like yours. It also had a boss for drilling for side oiler oil passages.
Jeff
It is interesting that the 814 is there,didn't the 422 block predate the 814?Its expected to see the 011 and 962 but the 814 is kind of a surprise.Would that indicate that 422 and 814 were developed concurrently but used consecutively?

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Can any of this be explained by my block being cast at the Central Foundry Division rather than the Tonawanda Foundry.

All 348-409 blocks were cast at CFD after about mid April 62. Assembly was still done at Tonawanda.
The numbers on the front behind the timing cover and back of block below the bell housing flange are the last three digits of the block casting numbers that used that same pattern (mold) end plates....same on small blocks and big blocks.
The mythical "high nickel" 350 blocks with 010/020 are just that, mythical. The 010/020 are simply the last three of the casting numbers of the blocks that used the same end plates for the mold.