Helo from Woodstock ON Canada.

Six_Shooter

I'm new here as well, I don't actually own a W-motor, at least not one larger than 1:25 scale. lol

But, dafrp65 called me the other day to discuss a few things about the truck. I was involved in some aspects of the building of this truck, namely the EFI and related engine control. He told me that he posted this on a 348-409 website and that the reception was positive, so I had to look for myself. :)

I can answer a few questions.

The headers are custom. A set of SBC headers gave up their tubing and some additional pieces along with some home made flanges.

The MPFI intake was not the original idea, it just kinda evolved into going that direction. We looked at going throttle body but by the time a new intake was bought, it wouldn't have really been worth it, and the stock intake was just not an option for the performance that John wanted. So the custom MPFI intake was started and evolved into what is on the truck now.

The EFI system is a Delco (GM) EFI from a 1990 to 1993 F-body (with custom tuning), with some other parts mixed in, like a Ford Mustang aftermarket throttle body. A stock one was tested but was shown to be too small at higher RPM.

This truck was definitely a learning experience where the EFI was concerned, but I think it paid off in the end.

Last edited:

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I'm new here as well, I don't actually own a W-motor, at least not one larger than 1:25 scale. lol

But, dafrp65 called me the other day to discuss a few things about the truck. I was involved in some aspects of the building of this truck, namely the EFI and related engine control. He told me that he posted this on a 348-409 website and that the reception was positive, so I had to look for myself. :)

I can answer a few questions.

The headers are custom. A set of SBC headers gave up their tubing and some additional pieces along with some home made flanges.

The MPFI intake was not the original idea, it just kinda evolved into going that direction. We looked at going throttle body but by the time a new intake was bought, it wouldn't have really been worth it, and the stock intake was just not an option for the performance that John wanted. So the custom MPFI intake was started and evolved into what is on the truck now.

The EFI system is a Delco (GM) EFI from a 1990 to 1993 F-body (with custom tuning), with some other parts mixed in, like a Ford Mustang aftermarket throttle body. A stock one was tested but was shown to be too small at higher RPM.

This truck was definitely a learning experience where the EFI was concerned, but I think it paid off in the end.

Six_Shooter, would love to see build up pics (if any were taken) what was the manifold you used or is it all fabricated, looks to be cast with alterations?
what size injectors etc
Very interesting project

Steve

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Wow Wow Wow now thats cool I bet like you stated the low end is crazy. Congrats

Six_Shooter

Six_Shooter, would love to see build up pics (if any were taken) what was the manifold you used or is it all fabricated, looks to be cast with alterations?
what size injectors etc
Very interesting project

Steve

I'll have to look and see if I have any pictures during. They will be actual film pictures since that was before smart phones were actually affordable. It might have also been around the time I had a digital camera stolen out of my car and lost all of the pictures on it, I hate thieves...

The intake is 100% fabbed from scratch. John made many of the parts, including the water crossover, dizzy bridge and the intake flanges. He worked at a machine shop at the time. The runners are made from some rectangle tubing and the plenum was made from a combination of square tubing and flat steel. It's a heavy sucker. The plan was to proof it out with the steel, since it would be cheaper and then eventually build a better one out of aluminum, but John was happy with this one, so we left it on there. We started with 19 lbs/hr injectors, since it's easier to get an unknown combination started and running on small injectors, and then move up when the demand is there. It has Ford Supercoupe injectors in it now, which depending on the source you use are anywhere between 32 lbs/hr to 38 lbs/hr. From my experience on my car (using the same injectors) and comparing them to some known larger injectors I would say they are closer to the 38 lbs/hr end.

Keeping my foot out of it is not an option.

I have that problem too... :D

dafrp65

Last night I went to Zurich Bean Fest.Its the Woodward Ave run of Huron County.400 car cruise through 4 towns about an hour long.At least 800 people along the route with garden hoses waiting for a show and we gave them one.For those who were wondering this EFI ran the same amount of fuel as my 68 with a 2006 4.8 and 4 speed auto.The little 292 is the same as this 348.Way big cam headers port and polish.Theres a 700r4 behind the 348.Thats 2 hours round trip plus 45 min of absolutely roasting the buns with a 1958 engine and it out did the newer EFI because it has twice the tourqe.Six shooter you did a great job with John on this.

Six_Shooter

dafrp65, it's great to hear you're enjoying the truck. John wanted a driver, that would be unique and have fun with, and it seems it's being that for you too. Thanks for the compliments, I'll pass them onto John, next time I see him. There might still be a bit more power and economy to pull from it too. ;)