Hello to everyone, Thanx for letting me become a member

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site Rod . I don't remember if I welcomed you to the site already . If I did consider this a duplicate .
Welcome to the site Rod :clap:clap. Great group here:hug and lots of info on the "W" engine. Enjoy the ride.:cool:
:crazy:happy:cheers

Rodrick

Ok, I finally decided to leave the timing marks in the straight up position. After I bought a crank adapter for the degree wheel and had the timing gear off about 6 times, and about 20 hrs. of work. I haven't done that very much and I was having a He** of a time getting consistent reads. :bang I really thought it would be closer than that, maybe Crane Cams changed their specs? I took a few shots at a lot smaller setting lets see if they load. Looks like a go on the picture. I don't know what a 742 is Pat. It's a 656 block and 583 heads. I hope I'm able to save it, I'm getting a small fortune wrapped up in it, Catch you all later, Rodrick

Attachments

• DSC_0203.JPG
    DSC_0203.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 22

Rodrick

Ya, I'm always on the look out, I think 65's are a cool lookin rig. I haven't even seen one with a 409 in it. 327's and 396's are usually what they have. I checked on one down in the valley, it's an SS 327 but it was his dad's car and he didn't really want to get rid if it. Is your's an original 409?

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe it is. However without a build sheet, or finding the original owner, I cannot be 100% sure. If it is not, my hat's off to the person who cloned it, because they went to great lengths to fake it. There is a non SS convertible 65 that the guy is claiming to be a factory 409 for sale in my area. It is basically rusted out, no interior or top, looks like most of the engine is there. I couldn't get a good look at the carb to verify it was the correct one, but it is close. The build date I don't understand though. Also he wants 14k for it. I don't think so. Not even if the motor was rebuilt, which the motor is just sitting in there. Guess that is why it's still for sale, and now for trade. He had it at the Pleasanton Ca Good Guys swap meet awhile back, but he is out of Berkeley Ca.

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Welcome to the site. Glad to have another member from Oregon. I'm not too far from you, about 20 miles south of Tillamook in Cloverdale. For my engine work I use Dieter Priss in Tillamook. I race my 409 and he has been real good at making go fast and durable. Good luck with your build and I hope it doesn't flood there in Vernonia with all this rain we've been getting.

Paul

Rodrick

Let's see,,, after scrolling trough the replies I see (409 newby) Pat and (Garbageman) Paul are from Oregon Kool! Also (tripower) you are close by in WA. You asked me a question about the Ridenour family. I don't think I've heard of them, are they in Vernonia?
So your right over here in Cloverbale huh Paul? Thanks for the tip on the machine shop. I'm not real excited about mine but maybe I'm just too picky, anyway you race a 409? How kool is that? I would just like to hear one run, and race even better! I think I heard one start at a Vernonia car show 4-5 years ago. I notice your name and I don't know why you chose it but I had a good friend (retired) that was a garbage man and every year he had a garage sale and made $2-3 grand on stuff people threw away, fact is I still have a lot of stuff I bought off him. I WAS (hopefully) kind of a collector. It was in Gales Creek.
Well,,, I ordered a Edelbrock dual 4 manifold off e-bay, installed but not ran. You guy's are probably going to laugh at me but I'm going to see if I can put a couple of Quadrajets on it:laugh. I have a bunch laying around and some adapters. Also inherited a tig welder and I need an excuse to plug it in and see if I can tig weld. Still working on my avatar, oh tripower, I can't make out what your is like a rescue or fishing? CULater rat Rod.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Sorry for the delay Rodrick 742 is the # of 400 hp 409's put into the 65 model year, total of 409's for 65 was 2828 the rest were 340 hp engines Pat

Rodrick

Pat, I'm in no hurry at all! Okay your talking about production numbers. The bummer is the machine shop said they could deck the block and leave the numbers there but later called and said when the operator looked it was too late and most of them are gone :mad The "J" is still there but the "A" is gone and I didn't think to take a picture. I did notice some numbers at the top front of the block right in front of the flat spot where the intake bolts down (where the little holes are drilled to hold the rubber gasket). Looks like production #'s Can these be traced? Thanx, Rodrick

Bernie

Hi Rodrick, welcome to site. I built a 65 Biscayne into a Gasser for Nostalgia drag racing. The engine is a 65 truck 348. Which is now 440 . The car gets a lot of
attention. Also runs strong. ( best time 7.57 in 1/8, but their is more to be had if I want). This is car before I put engine in.helens camera 101.JPG