Hello to everyone, Thanx for letting me become a member

Rodrick

A bit about why I wanted to join this group. I bought a 409 from a scrapper here in NW Oregon, was it last summer or the summer before? (senior moment, I just retired and am 60 today) Anyway we literally drug it out of a field, but I have never had the opportunity to buy a "she's real fine, my 409" before and so I got it. Then the fun began! Probably most people would say "leave it rust in peace" but open to a good challenge I took it head on. This motor (I know technically an engine) was rode hard and put away wet before it was thrown it the field. Besides the rust it had an .040" wrist pin score in #1 and # 8 already had a sleeve. #5 rod had been knocking so bag they had to be turned to .040" undersize. A valve had come loose and the stem had penetrated the head it the intake port and it was brazed before. #2 cylinder was pounded from something, maybe the valve letting loose. The good part if there is any it's a JA. Where I'm at now is, I have just spent a ton (to me) of $ on a timing set to get a .005" undersize (which fit's perfect by the way) and I'm trying to degree the cam, and oh what a joy it is. I got a bunch of questions. I would like to send some pictures but it looks like I got to get a web hosting service or something. Well I guess I just jumped in with both feet (like I usually do) Hope to make some friends and have some good conversations about the 348/409's Rod

Rodrick

That's what I don't know. Now that I'm retired I have to figure out this fixed income thing first of all, but I still need some major parts to get it complete, like intake manifold is a biggie, I spend a LOT of time researching stuff and it makes it all the more difficult in a decision. I do have a 57 Chevy but it has a new 350 in it now. I have always wanted to build a rat rod, Lord knows I have enough stuff lying around to put one pretty much together, a 65 impala would also be cool, or any impala for that matter. I want to take the time to find just the right rig. Rod

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard Rodrick!! Sounds like you got your hands full with your build,but thats the best part messing with these old "W" engines.Once you get it rebuilt,and put into a car body ,you will not believe the attention that engine will bring both your car and you. Only good things to say about these old W block engine,"welcome aboard the train".

:happy:welcome:happy

Rodrick

Thank You for the Great support! I really need to get down there and figure out this cam timing thing. I've been working on it for three days now and I will probably have many questions and maybe a comment or two. CUAround

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site! :beer
Posting a picture is pretty easy on this site.
When you're doing a post you'll see a button in the bottom right corner that says,,, "Upload a File"
Click that and a window will pop up showing your computer files. Look for the picture you want and double click on it.
It will then show up as a thumbnail in the bottom left of the screen. (it will re-size automatically)
Right beside it you will see buttons for "Thumbnail" or "Full Image"
Click "Full Image" and it will come up just like this picture...

a.jpg

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim...That watermelon really looks good.Judging by the little guy it must be good!!!:roll Oh well,guess I'll have to wait afew more months to get a good one!!!!:laugh:roll

Rodrick

I didn't get to the cam timing yesterday I had to spend about 8 hours to get most of my florescent lights working in the shop (I do a lot of work now with reading glasses and a loupe and tired of holding a flashlight in my teeth in the suop) and of course I'd spent hours on the old interweb to find out how they work. I know I should have went new T8 but I just can't help rebuilding the "old stuff". I now have four 8' T12 HO and 2 8' standard lights 3 more to go, (I noties the new electric ballast's mess up my radio :(, West Oregon Electric is going to like me. :) (Haha) Thank you Jin_ss409 for the help on the pictures I'm giving it a try now. I'm in Vernonia, I did some hiking in the Olympics' years ago, up the Hoh River (walked some toenails off, but that's another story):cry I wish it was a 623! I bought it knowing only being pretty sure it was a 409 and was lucky to get (at least from my research) a 1965 JA 656 400HP with 583 heads, a little over 7,000 made. I'm really feeling welcome here thanks to you all for taking the time and welcoming me aboard. Let's try a photo, I wish I'd have taken some before I started working on it. Pictures didn't work, I got a security error. I'll try later, Rodrick

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome Rod If you have a W-Motor you already have the bug and this is the best place to get the cure
these guys can help you with anything, So Jump right in

martin:D