Hard to push in clutch...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Factory 1962 clutch pedals have a curved arm on the clutch pedal with only one round hole for attaching the threaded upper clutch rod.
1961 clutch pedals will fit the 1961 and 1962 underdash mounting bracket. A 1961 pedal set has a different arm & pull back spring under the dash on it and should not be used with a 1962 threaded upper rod I see in your pictures.

Check the clutch free play ( to confirm that the clutch is adjusted correctly).

another thing to check is if the clutch support bracket ( that holds the Z bar is a factory bracket )- factory brackets have 3 countersunk holes in bracket and where factory welded the support bracket to the frame in the correct location on all factory straight stick cars ( 3 & 4 speed ) - if the car was a powerglide car the Z bar support bracket would have to be added to the frame ( normally it’s welded to the frame through drilled holes in the bracket or the sides of the support bracket are welded to the frame).
Take a picture of the attachment to verify that it has the correct round ball that mounts into a vertical slot in the support bracket( this attachment allows the Z bar to rotate correctly without binding.

You cannot see the engine block round ball that fits inside the Z bar - both these balls inside the Z bar are required to be greased on both ends to allow the Z bar to rotate with ease.

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Another thing to check is the throwout bearing mounted to the end of the clutch fork correctly so it hits the fingers on the clutch pressure plate correctly when it’s depressed - remove the black bottom cover on the bell housing to check the throwout bearing touching all the pressure plate fingers at the same time when it’s depressed.

Paul

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
I was having the same problem with my 63. I fought it for a while and couldn't figure it out got new linkage, fork, z-bar... and it ended up being the throwout bearing. It was binding up on the back of the bellhousing. Switched to a short bearing and operates smoothly even with a HD Zoom clutch.
Something to look at and easy to spot when you take the flywheel cover off.