good bye

floyd

Well Known Member
Well believe it or not the saginaw is stock.Spent 200 dollars for it.Most people around here who rebuild them use brass sinks instead of copper.Worn out,or loose main bearings can put excessive stress on the front of the tranny,wearing out the inner bearings,even shattering the bearing retainer.The gear oil I use is schaeffer 293,regular 80w90 gear oil.My experience with synthetic oils,work good in cool weather,hot weather does not cool down,thins out wears out parts.Back in the day,regular gear oil worked,thats why original rear ends are still working.

floyd

Well Known Member
Junky I will stay.Im a hard headed chevy man like you guys are.I will argue chevy over dodge or ford.The 427,was a upgrade of the Great 409.The 496 was the upgrade of the 454.Maybe I could give you some ideas for your questions.Would you know were I could score a my6 cast tranny?I could use the overdrive,to keep the rpms down.4500 rpms 160 mph gets expensive to drive,aka Mustang killer.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 16
Guess I need an education on this, my6 cast you are asking about. :dunno2

I ran a sag behind a 360 small block in a 65 4 door chevlle. Car never hooked hard.
Did work good enough to make a trip to the salt flats and make 10 passes down the 1 mile standing start course, then drive it back home. :winner

floyd

Well Known Member
It is a new process transfer case flipped upside down.They made 4 speeds,with overdrive,I believe 3 speeds.Chevy used them in the early 80s behind the diesel pick-ups,even gas.Thats how they got 20+ mpg.The cast iron ones are the best,just like the 5 speeds in the camaros.Aluminium dont hold up.The bell housing for the my6 is special,has two bolt patterns.Can run any gm manual tranny,some other trannys also.

floyd

Well Known Member
What gears did your chevelle have?A lot of gm cars ran tall gears,231,242.If you use a overdrive tranny,dont have enough bottom end torque to run at low rpms.Thats why chevy pick ups with 5 or 6 speeds,use 410 or 411.Starting in 2000,gm switched to 373,due to save on distroying the running gear apart,even the duramax diesel.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
The trans in question is a np833. Like the mopar, but different. Kinda hard to find. Gear ratios aren’t the best for a performance application, but they are an overdrive. This is all from my feeble mind. Your results may vary.

Junky

Well Known Member
Well believe it or not the saginaw is stock.Spent 200 dollars for it.Most people around here who rebuild them use brass sinks instead of copper.Worn out,or loose main bearings can put excessive stress on the front of the tranny,wearing out the inner bearings,even shattering the bearing retainer.The gear oil I use is schaeffer 293,regular 80w90 gear oil.My experience with synthetic oils,work good in cool weather,hot weather does not cool down,thins out wears out parts.Back in the day,regular gear oil worked,thats why original rear ends are still working.

Doesn't matter what gear oil you want to use in your standard transmission, as long as it isn't a GL5 gear oil. You must use a GL4 gear lube, if you don't want to lose your synchronizers. The GL5 attacks the yellow metals that the synchronizers are made of.

floyd

Well Known Member
The schaeffer oil is a syn base oil.Dont have to use 100%.1 qt the rest 80w-90.I found using 100%,tends to be too thin,seeps through gaskets,worn seals.I used it 100% in my rear end in my 81 4x4.seeped out from the bottom cover.Broke two ring gear teeth,toasted the bearings,never froze up.

Junky

Well Known Member
I will now remove myself from the oil discussion, since oil brands, weights, and preferences are like religion. It has been discussed since oil was first discovered, and continues to be discussed till this day. I am still working my way through cases of Kendall, the 2000 mile oil in glass containers from a long long time ago, and if it was good enough then, it is good enough today.

MVC-018L.JPG

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 16
My chevelle has a 3.08 rear gear.
The transmission I was running was out of a vega, had that comfortable first gear. 3 something low gear and 2.20 second gear.

Junky

Well Known Member
I found out how syn oil leaks when I put it in the Knuck tranny.... :doh any one remember the old 140? gear lube??? Stiff as a wedding.....

I used to use Kendall 80-90-140 three star gear oil in my Corvair differential and gear box, along with 2 ounces of molybdenum disulfide. This is when I lived in NH, and the temperatures were below zero many mornings. That was the only formula to getting the car moving. It was originally developed for the military for use in the tanks during the 2nd world war. These tanks went from very warm climates, to very cold climates, and then needed one gear lube that would work in all climates. I learned about it in one of the car magazines at the time. Kendell 3 star lube.jpg