Garage floor, alternative to poured concrete

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you look at the difference in cost it's not enough to lay down an inferior floor. Probably the kicker is you wanting to do it yourself. Just pay a mason to do the job correctly.

chuckl

Well Known Member
I went through the same struggle. Basically, I am a cheapskate and tried the gravel, sand and large pavers. Then they began to settle with a movement of the garage area and my creeper would hang in the cracks. Ok, just live with it. After some time, I wanted to put in a lift. Oops, a two-post lift would require two pads--4' X 4' X 1 & 1/2' thick for stability, in my soil, without cracking. Basically, that's 2 yards of concrete. A 4-poster was about the same cost for pads, A concrete floor would have handled either a 2- or a 4-post lift, because of the stability and strength of the concrete. Soooo, the "paver" floor cost a lot more in the long run to install the lift. I out-smarted myself--again. :dunno :dunno

64chevydude

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
When the township says you have enough garage and wont give you a permit to build a permanent structure this would work

62BillT

Well Known Member
Crushed Stone or Crusher Run as we call it around here would be a good alternative, if just using the building for storage and having a limited budget. You could still always Concrete it later on if you decided to.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Crushed Stone or Crusher Run as we call it around here would be a good alternative, if just using the building for storage and having a limited budget. You could still always Concrete it later on if you decided to.

Bob:
That would make a good base for concrete when you do it next year. Just allow a bit for any drains sloping and install the drains in now as chances are those would be under the cars or between them and probably not get run over. I think the cubic feet price comparison is good especially since you are buying the stone and hauling in your tri axle dump trucks and leveling with your own tracked Bobcat. I guess you will use a laser for final grade?
Robert

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
In my area, many use a product called Item #4, for their driveways. Not sure what it is exactly. Looks like small stone, dust and whatever else. They say you water and pack it and it sets up like concrete. I also saw a garage that had a blacktop floor installed. Was ok I guess. Certainly different, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Bob:
I think the cubic feet price comparison is good especially since you are buying the stone and hauling in your tri axle dump trucks and leveling with your own tracked Bobcat. I guess you will use a laser for final grade?
Robert

We don't do things that way here in the coal regions. :D