Dads52Binder

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No NCPOP, my next chore and all the cool stuff to build it. NCPOP you had a 58 impala when I was in high school. I rebuilt the 348 and put back in and got it running before you went to North Carolina. You recently began building another engine for your current car. I got the itch to build one now and put in something cool.
If you remember you asked me just in conversation about back in the day engines, you asked did I have any experience with the 409 and if so were they pretty strong or something like that. I replied that only ran a 348 but what I did know is they could get a heavy car rolling pretty good. Then I began to research the engine and the next thing you know I get the fever and the rest is history.

NCPOP I have always been fascinated by that engine design. After doing your engine for your 58 I have always wondered what they were capable of in HP rating.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My Dad had a 51 international flat deck back in the mid 50’s, used to haul cedar telephone poles from Maine and New Brunswick to Prince Edward Island. He was an alcoholic and I can remember being in that truck with him when I was 3. He quit drinking in 1957 and went selling cars, new Pontiacs, then Chevy in 1968. Binders were the toughest trucks on the road back then.

Quite a collection you have there, you have goats to keep that grass mowed?

Welcome to the site, this will be the first W in a binder that I recall seeing.

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My Dad had a 51 international flat deck back in the mid 50’s, used to haul cedar telephone poles from Maine and New Brunswick to Prince Edward Island. He was an alcoholic and I can remember being in that truck with him when I was 3. He quit drinking in 1957 and went selling cars, new Pontiacs, then Chevy in 1968. Binders were the toughest trucks on the road back then.

Quite a collection you have there, you have goats to keep that grass mowed?

Welcome to the site, this will be the first W in a binder that I recall seeing.
Yes they were tough and heavy, could say overbuilt. Not sure that dads had ever been on the overload rear springs until I went to get a scoop of rock screening, I told them to dump it near the back and he looked at me like ok this is gonna be fun the load was near 3500 pounds at the scale. Scale man said we are not responsible if you don’t make it home with that load, I said ok. When I got to hwy 36 and began to pick up speed I realized that the front end felt too light so I pulled off and scooped a bunch to the front of the bed. Only had to go maybe 7 miles made it and scooped it off went back for another load. They looked surprised to see me, I said that I didn’t need as big a load this time. No way that I would ever try that again. I did have a good set of rear tires on it!
Lots of memories around that truck, dad bought it to use for his service truck when he bought a Standard station, put a big push bumper on it and had a hot shot 12 volt battery in the bed that he used until he changed it to 12 volts.
I am the oldest of 7, dad died a little before his 39th birthday of pancreatic cancer. I had to go to the courthouse to probate the title in my name, I had just turned 18.

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Really...be scared of Wristpin!!!!!!!!! Then he will have to come over to my place!!!!
Your friend on A highway...does he live north or south of T & M diesel?

When you are going south on A, you go through the curves and it straightens out then you will turn west before the first bridge as you go south. Several houses back in there. If you pass his house you will run into an auto shop over a low water bride. He is in between A and Stark road.

wristpin

Well Known Member
:showerBe careful of this guy. He's a closet Mopar dude and wears red high heels when riding his Harley......:winner:dunno:winner:winner:winner
Wristpin, Feel free to stop by just let me know when I’m gone a lot. I guess if Ncpop can come over I set the standard pretty low for visitors lol!! All kidding aside stop by sometime.
Really...be scared of Wristpin!!!!!!!!! Then he will have to come over to my place!!!!
Your friend on A highway...does he live north or south of T & M diesel?
They're called Pumps Dave. I suppose high heels works as a description to get Iowa sheep at your correct level :winner

Binder Im glad the level is set low I'll feel right at home.

Phil.....:shower

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Looks solid/ good shape. Which way does the hood open on that model?

Last edited: