Couple of Board members that I have helped....

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That is what I think, but I could very well be wrong. If you start a thread in the 348 / 409 Engine section of this forum others could weigh in on it. There is also the option to start a Poll with the new thread that will give them a place to vote for standard or 4/7 swap if that helps.
Unless there are real gains with the swap I can see no reason for it. Just muddies the water and makes the Tri Y headers on the market for the W Block obsolete. You know how us old guys hate change. The traditional firing order has worked fine for years, what's the point?

Unless there are real gains with the swap I can see no reason for it. Just muddies the water and makes the Tri Y headers on the market for the W Block obsolete. You know how us old guys hate change. The traditional firing order has worked fine for years, what's the point?

I will put a Poll up and see what you guys think. I think for the hardcore guys a 55MM is a great idea and put the LS1 firing order on this if we are going to switch that stuff up. Then for the rest a core with std firing order.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
A question from the dumb side,if I may.What would be the advantage to swapping the firing order to the ls1? More power?smoother engine operation?,better reliability??????????

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I will put a Poll up and see what you guys think. I think for the hardcore guys a 55MM is a great idea and put the LS1 firing order on this if we are going to switch that stuff up. Then for the rest a core with std firing order.
Yup my 55mm is 4-7 :clap

A question from the dumb side,if I may.What would be the advantage to swapping the firing order to the ls1? More power?smoother engine operation?,better reliability??????????

Well I would hope that GM with all the technology they have that, that it was all used in this latest platform. I think from load standpoint it makes the engine smoother. In my short bus mentality if it is smoother then the engine is happier. A happy engine is a Good running engine. The LS platforms are very impressive.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for your insight on this,Chris.I knew that some of the "round track" guys have been doing that to small blocks for sometime now,just never knew exactly why.Yes,the LS platforms are indeed impressive.We've got some people down here in my neck of the woods that are making great power from them with turbos and such.

Thanks for your insight on this,Chris.I knew that some of the "round track" guys have been doing that to small blocks for sometime now,just never knew exactly why.Yes,the LS platforms are indeed impressive.We've got some people down here in my neck of the woods that are making great power from them with turbos and such.

Enjoyed our conversation the other day sir.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

90% of the modified and late model dirt car engines up here have done the switch. I guess I just never knew why.