Couple of Board members that I have helped....

Suggested I register and come on here. Morel has expanded their 348-409 Lifter offering to now include the high rpm Hyd Roller lifters made from Tool steel and they now have the Pro Series Solid roller in both needle and bushing roller types.

I hope can lend some tech support to members and their build projects.

Thank you Don. At sometime in the future I will me moving to your neck of the woods. The better half grew up in Huntsville and her family is still there. We are currently shopping property on Guntersville Lake.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome Chris. Very familiar with you from over on LS1Tech. Nice to have you join us over here.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site Chris. :beer

I'm happy to hear about the Morel lifters. They have a really good reputation for accurate fit and quality. I notice that they are the top choice for a lot of race engine builders.

I really like the method you use in the video for finding the center of the valve travel.
One problem I've noticed on the 409 heads is that the valve and rocker stud aren't parallel. They tip in toward each other at the top which seems to cause a problem if you use valves that are longer than stock length. It seems like you have to compromise the geometry in order to get the tip of the rocker to stay near the center of the valve.
If I remember right, I had to run a shorter pushrod and my rocker wasn't at 90 degrees to the valve until I was well past mid lift.
Anyway, I do know that your system should result in the best geometry and should give the exact valve action that the cam maker designed into the cam, so I'm sure going to give it a try.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Welcome to the site Chris. :beer

I'm happy to hear about the Morel lifters. They have a really good reputation for accurate fit and quality. I notice that they are the top choice for a lot of race engine builders.

I really like the method you use in the video for finding the center of the valve travel.
One problem I've noticed on the 409 heads is that the valve and rocker stud aren't parallel. They tip in toward each other at the top which seems to cause a problem if you use valves that are longer than stock length. It seems like you have to compromise the geometry in order to get the tip of the rocker to stay near the center of the valve.
If I remember right, I had to run a shorter pushrod and my rocker wasn't at 90 degrees to the valve until I was well past mid lift.
Anyway, I do know that your system should result in the best geometry and should give the exact valve action that the cam maker designed into the cam, so I'm sure going to give it a try.
Jim, I used an adjustable pushrod and did the best I knew how. I didn't know that the valve and the stud leaned in toward each other. I have the longer BB Chevy valves. I marked the valve head with magic marker and ran the cam through a complete cycle. I don't think that it is as critical with the roller rocker to get things absolutely perfect. In my case with the Bob Walla heads I came pretty close to center @ half lift. Chris, I saved the Video to my notes on my iPad. Thanks. I want you to comment on the method that I think most of us home shop builders use to get what we call correct geometry. Like I said at half lift I'm near the center of the valve and get good travel across the valve tip from low to full lift.

Last edited: