Car Hauler Project

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great looking prodject you got going there Jim. Look forward to your updates. And Roy maybe you can think of it as another B back on the road again instead of rotting or crushed in some junk yard some were.:D

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Some were 409's

About four years ago the city of Eagle River, Wisconsin listed a 1964 Howe fire engine on e-bay. It was based on a Chevrolet medium duty truck and had it's original 409 with low miles. (I posted the auction link here at the time). I thought it would be cool to turn into a flatbed hauler or leave it as it was and pull a one-car trailer behind it. Imagine towing your 409 car with a 409 fire engine.

The auction ended without meeting the reserve. It was gone the next time I went up there and looked in the fire station windows. Hopefully someone did something good with it.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
To answer Jim and Fatride, I guess that being in the fire service I think that old fire trucks are collector items. When I first was assigned to a fire station it was a two piece engine company with 2 Model B Macks, one powered by a 800 cu.in Hall Scott and the wagon running in front with a Mack engine. If I was rich I would have several restored fire engines and trucks. By the way if it has a pump it is a fire engine, if it carries only ladders it is a fire truck. Jim I know you guys will make a great looking Hauler out of the Mack. :clap Roy

Just pulling your chain Roy, I know what the equipment of the day means to Firefighters.:bow

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We've made a little bit of headway on the Mack so I thought I'd post an update.
The box is coming together, the fenders tend to rust where they bolt on so we trimmed that part off and welded them to the box sides.
309051cre.jpg

309030web.jpg

We made some tail lights by using the bezels from some old flood lights that we had along with some 5" exhaust pipe.

309027web.jpg

Rather than use the traditional dual rear wheels we're going to use the new extra wide "Super Single" tires. We've got the 14" wide rims but haven't got the tires yet.

1008cr.jpg

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Jim

I never knew those kind of wheels/tires were available. That will look great. Transformation of the hauler is coming along really nice!!

Ron

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, As usual, your vision and workmanship are amazing. That will be a fantastic vehicle. Tell Winston I said " hello ". :cheers

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
jim great vision on those 22" michelin X tires. A few guys are using them instead of duals here. I'm not sure of the performance advantages but they sure look neat. Are you using them on your fleet?
robert

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The truck is coming great Jim........ keep the pictures coming and keep up the good work.
Dave

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Jim, That project just looks awesome!!! How are you going to keep everyone off that truck even with Winston on gaurd ? Keep the posts coming. We are all waiting to see the completed project.:clap

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
jim great vision on those 22" michelin X tires. A few guys are using them instead of duals here. I'm not sure of the performance advantages but they sure look neat. Are you using them on your fleet?
robert

We've recently started getting the "Super Single" tires on the new trucks. I really like them. They're lighter by about 180 lbs. per axle and they roll easier so they save some fuel. They also get a little better traction and ride a little better too. On the negative side,,, four of these tires and rims cost more than eight regular tires and rims, and of course when you get a flat you can't just limp it into the next town like you can with dual tires.
The flat tire deal isn't really much of a problem for us because these tires are pretty tough. We occasionally have a nail work it's way in and cause a slow leak but pretty much never get a big enough puncture to cause the tire to just go flat in a matter of minutes.
I could be wrong but I think most of the long haul highway trucks will be running single tires in a few years from now.
http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/xone/xOne-weight-savings.jsp

It might be hard to see but the big truck in this picture has the wide single drive tires.
Oh and there's Winston in the foreground, ready to spring into action on a moments notice.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 2008-12-21 003cre.jpg
    2008-12-21 003cre.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 178

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The box of the Mack is coming along.
309095e.jpg

We're using the bumper from our school bus donor truck, it was too wide so we had to narrow it down and we also added a recess for the license plate.
309115e.jpg

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Jim, You guys are doing an awesome job on that truck. Keep those posts coming. (THE WHOLE WORLD'S WATCHING!!!):clap:cheers