Cant make it run cool

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
More thoughts: If you look at a stock radiator, shroud, and fan setup and compare it to what the newer setups are like, it surprises me that the stock setup was ever good enough. Consider the shroud, these days we cover the entire radiator with one, leaving only a hole large enough to be covered by an electric fan. This is done so that when the fan draws air it will hopefully pull the air through the entire radiator. But a stock shroud has so much open area that this would be impossible to do. So why did the stock stuff work? Or did it? Some stock setups, not 409, don't even use a shroud!
Mechanical fans draw a lot of air, does anyone know how much? We have air flow ratings on electric fans, what is the stock mechanical fan airflow? Probably hard to pin down since it would change with engine speed. The fact that mechanical fans use about 20 HP to drive them made me switch to an electric fan. Not because they cool better, if they do?
So, if we forget about the HP loss and just think about cooling, would a mechanical fan be better? You could put a clutch on it to help a little with the HP loss. Or find a fan with more blades? Use a flex fan? Use a mechanical fan with a more modern shroud that covers the entire radiator?

Then there is the radiator, and all the differences with them. Original is brass, not sure what the row count is on a stock radiator, as I have never had one. But aluminum has now replaced the brass, which should transfer heat better due to the fact the aluminum one can use larger cooling tubes then the brass one. So a 4 row brass may have the same cooling capacity as a 2 row aluminum one as far as the heat transfer goes. The area of the cooling tubes is possibly the same or close.

Lots more variables are involved of course, so things can get complicated quickly. Strive to keep it simple, keep airflow at the top of the list when modifying the cooling system. What would make the air flow better? Is the radiator actually capable of cooling the engine. Is the radiator cap the highest point in the system? This helps prevents air bubbles.

This subject has an endless list of possibilities, which makes it tough to get the right combination of parts. This might be why the aftermarket can sell complete radiator and fan combos at prices well above $1k!

Also, this does not address the engine tune itself. If ignition and fueling are off, temps may climb.

Shaark92

Well Known Member
I'm a fan of cold case radiators.
when I did the restoration of my '61 spoke with one of their guys at a Texas Motor Speedway car show.
I told him I was going to install a 383 with a/c. I wanted to take "Polly" to the hill country on an August afternoon, hang meat in the cabin, run 75-80 mph with the trunk full of sacrete ... stop at a Sonic for beverage ... and never have the coolant temp exceed 200.
He set me up. rather than 4 cores ... 2 very LARGE cores. IIRC, the radiator is 4" thick and a pair of big puller fans.
In the winter, I have to slip a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator/behind the engine oil and tranny oil coolers to get normal operating temp (180)
No more overheating.
Very cool you have an original 409!

Reactions: 327

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Someone mentioned the thermostat and to install a 195. That maybe a quick fix and I am thinking to put one in my 09 (has a 180 now). I am in AZ also, and after a short ride to town and back temps rise to 200 and climbing. The fenders are so hot you could cook eggs on them. Yes, I have all the stuff talked about in the responses its just the outside air is so hot the radiator can't remove the heat. Looking forward to a fix....if there is one.
Install a temp sensor in the radiator or hose near the input to the water pump. This will help determine how good your radiator is working. You know the temp in the intake manifold just before it enters the upper radiator hose, now compare that to what goes in the pump.
Or remove the inner fenders and or the hood, always works for those roadkill guys!