Blackie 1955

Rich Rogers

Hi everyone, I'm another newbie here so hopefully I won't make any mistakes. I've been into old hot rods and muscle cars for over 45 years and currently own a 55 Chevy 210 with a mild small block, M-22 trans and a 4:33 rear that was basically home built from the bare frame with a few updates like front disc brake conversion, totally re-wired etc. The small block is getting real tired and I WAS going to do a 4 bolt 350 , with new internals, plus my tunnelram. I've run into the "possibility" of scoring a honest to God Z-11 engine that's been sitting totally apart for years. The owner was a builder that passed away and everything I guess was just left in his shop. Assuming that all of the parts are still there, I have NO idea of what to offer his widow or what would be a fair price . Can someone steer me in the right direction on value ? and if I score the Z-11 I'll be sure to post pics and other info as I try to put this monster back together...Thank you in advance !!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome!!!!
If your info is true.......you are wonderful position!!!!!!
Basically.......the Z-11 heads had the very first big block intake ports design. The intake was special too.....the lower part was a valley cover that covered the top of the block. The intake was a separate piece that the carbs mounted to. These are the major things.
Lot of Z-11 pictures here....just do a search.

Last edited:

Rich Rogers

Thank you for the replies !!! Again I have NO IDEA of what the bare block or even the rotating assembly would be worth. If I could get that info, I'd be a lot farther ahead.......Thanks again !!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome Rich, come on in.....:winnerthe Z would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Also, for once I have to say "listen to Phil." Private Message Phil, I'm sure he would share his knowledge. A complete Z11 engine sold at the Kissimme auction in January for a little over 10k I believe....hell of a deal I thought.

Last edited:

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:welcome2 You will find that most of the folks on here are really nice and knowledgeable guys that will be glad to steer you in the right direction. Just be a bit careful of Phil Reed and his Merry Oldsmobile.

Rich Rogers

Thank you for all the replies......At this point.....Still no real details and STILL trying to get the mitts on this Z11 !!!