Billet/two-piece valve covers, how tall to make them?

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Billet/two-piece valve covers, how tall to make them?

OK, so I'm fairly serious about making some two-piece billet valve covers.

I only want to make ONE design height, so what is the most bulky-tallest rocker assembly I need to clear? :dunno

Anyone have a sample of that rocker (damaged/scrap?) I can use for design mock up?

Follow up question, Finned top, Chevrolet script, or 409? (Mine will be Finned!)
Thinking of a large viton "O" ring to seal the top to the bottom half?

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Easy valve adjustment without oil dripping.

Easy valve adjustment without oil dripping.

Particularly nice for adjusting hydraulic lifters with the engine running.

Boat

Well Known Member
IMO, the finned look is cool, retro...and not billet. The "409" might be a 348, a 380, a 409, 427, 482...and if they can't figure it's a chevy, then I'm not giving them clues:roll

So I'd go with a plain top with a thickness that could be custom engraved/routed.

It sounds like a neat idea to me.

sdb348

2 piece valvecovers

I made a set about 7 months ago . I used 6065 al 3 inch thick and a 1 inch thick top plate, I made mine with a 1/2 inch thick wall. i countersunk the 6 bolts (1/4X20X3 1/2inch ahcs) and used 18 1/4X20X1 to mount the top plate. the first one didn't come out too bad.I was working on the second one and trashed out $700.worth of aluminium. 3inch tall wall gave me about 3/8 over a taller rocker arm nut. I did find that you will have to remove someof the interior wall for valve spring clearance I mounted 4 coils on my cover cpc system and the airbreather at the front top.I wish I had the knowlage to run the drillmill.I did what your thinking of doing I cut the flange off a old valvecover. I would be intersted in a pr . I no the' re not gunna be cheep