BGarth here for inspiration

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I love Dave's run Jim!!!!!! I was in the stands when he made that pass and couldn't believe the wheel stands he gets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Could not be any worse than a 429 1969 mustang which you had to raise the motor to change spark plug's.:bang:bang

BGarth

I was planning on Pertronix for the 283, just haven't gotten around to it. Now, I'm pretty much thinking that the 283 is there to beat on until I can build the car into a proper hot rod. The 283 will go in something else at a later date. My main concern is that I want the car to be easy to work on.
And I like gassers anyway...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
A modern suspension,such as Heidts,Morrison,ect. will make the car much eiaser to work on,drive infinatly better.

BGarth

So.......
My old 8.2" 10 bolt gave up. Pinion gear has two broken teeth so it's time for an upgrade. Seeing as how I want to run a W-series, I'm looking for suggestions on what rear end to swap in. No reason to do this twice, right?
I have found quite a few 1st series Bronco 9 inchers that are only 1/4" wider than my stock 10 bolt, but the pinion is about 1 5/8" off center. Most of these are also small bearing, 28 spline axles, so not the beefiest 9" to start with.
I'm a journeyman welder, so narrowing a rear is not out of the question.
I've got a pull a part close by and I was thinking about picking up either a Dana 60, or a corporate 14 bolt. I'm shying away from 12 bolts simply due to the buy in cost when stronger rears are out there. It looks like narrowing is going to be my only real option here.
I know everyone will have an opinion, but here's the question anyways: what rear end should I get? I will probably be going with a 348 stroker, but just in case, lets say I want one that will hold up behind a 409 that I plan to drive like a rental car.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I had a friend that put a 348 in a early 60's Chevy 11. Like you said, there is a width issue, he cut the spring towers out and put flat sheet metal in place of them and ran a straight axle with quarter elitpic springs.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Camero,Nova,and most other clone models,such as Omega,Apollo,Phoenix,Firebird came with an 8.5 10 bolt rear end that can be beefed up to match the 12 bolt Gm rear end.Since you'll likely want to add c-clip eliminators,any way,you could easily narrow these to your needs without breaking the bank.Gm started these units in 1971.

BGarth

I've considered rebuilding my 8.2 for now, but I hesitate because I know that it won't stay in there. I'll be about $450 into it and in the end its still just an 8.2 10 bolt. (low strength/low resale). If I'm going to go through the trouble of narrowing a rear end, I might as well spend that effort and money on something that will hold up to my future plans.