BGarth here for inspiration

BGarth

Hello,

I saw an ad on CL for a 348 that got my gears turning. I'm here to learn about these engines, and want to drop one in my 63 Chevy II eventually. I'll be lurking until I get my project going. My "II" is currently running a 1965 283. Edelbrock Performer intake and a Holley 600cfm. I swapped out the stock cam over the winter for a CompCams XE256. I also swapped out the powerglide for a WCT5. Went with a hydraulic clutch. Just picked up a set of ET slots that will be going on the old girl soon.
Back on topic:
The 409 was the first engine that I could identify as a kid. I remember my Dad took me to Daytona in the early 80's and there was this magenta Impala with a 409. I was so proud that I knew the engine when he picked me up to look under the hood.
I'm not knocking the guys who are doing LSx swaps, but I like old school. Nothing says old school cool like 348/409 valve covers under the hood of a small car.
100_0089.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Man...................you are in the RIGHT place!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome aboard!!!! Either the 348 or 409 will bolt right up to your motor mounts!! Not sure about firewall and steering though but someone will chime in!!!!

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:welcomeLook forward to seeing a 409 in the Chevy II. You might have a width issue, but I'm sure you will figure it out.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
There are a few guys here who have made this swap, but mainly for racing purposes so things could get modified pretty heavily.

That Chevy II reminds me of the one I had back in the late 60s, my grandfather passed it along to me for $50. Had the 6 PG setup.

You've come to the right place for advise and opinion (and motiviation)!

Cheers!
TomK

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Glad to see you made it!! Get ready for more info and bs than you can handle!!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site! :welcome
I think it's a good idea to put a 409 in a Chevy II :idea
It's true that you'll wear out the back tires rather quickly, but just think how long the front tires will last when they hardly ever touch the ground. :beer
Scroll ahead to the 6:00 minute mark of this video to see a 409 powered Chevy II in action. :pop
Then scroll up to the 11:30 mark to see two more 409 powered Chevy II's in action. :beer

Last edited:

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome.

If the W motor width is an issue, there are narrowed strut towers you can buy that bolt in. Block huggers or stock manifolds may help plumbing issues.

Bob

BGarth

I think that width will be an issue. From this site, I found that the 348 is not much wider than the 283, but the 283 is plenty tight if you have to work on it in the car, and I have thin hands. While I love the idea of squeezing a 348 between the towers to make it look factory, I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort and headaches should I need to replace a header gasket. Ultimately, I'm thinking that a gasser style clip will be the way to go, both for ease of maintenance as well as ample space for the engine. I've considered doing a different clip for this reason with the 283. I'm a journeyman welder so I can fab as needed to make things work. Once I start collecting parts, I can zero in on the best method to make it work.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
At least plugs are as easy as they can get. I can swap mine in 5 minutes. The gasser swaps as well as modern clips are bolt in like you said.

BGarth

That was the first thing I noticed when looking. The 348 might be 2 1/2 inches wider, but the plugs are on top... I still think that it might fit, especially with narrower strut towers. Changing the plugs on the 283 is miserable in the II. 2 of them you can't even get a 3/8 ratchet on...you have to use an open end wrench on the socket. It might be better with headers or different manifolds, but with the ram's head manifold I have it is difficult.
We'll see when I acquire a suitable engine to stroke...

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Don't know what type ignition you are using but with modern ignition like Capacitive Discharge (MSD 6AL or equivalent) shouldn't need to change plugs very often. I and others use stock distributor with Pertronix points conversion to trigger MSD 6AL. Happy with mine.