Bayer Z-11

409Kid

Well Known Member
I found the perfect donor car for the project

Repaint Monaco blue/blue int. No (dash pad, PW,PB,PS AC or radio), V8 clutch peddle car. Most inopportune time as my reserves are tied up in the engine build. Zero rust and no repairs. Frantically trying to find a way to secure this car.

This would put me years and $Ks ahead of the game. I’m depressed.

I need a go fund me…

Last edited:

409Kid

Well Known Member
Well the perfect donor car negotiations fell through. I gave him a fair and certainly not a low ball offer, but he decided not to even bother with a counter offer. I asked for an additional day to confer with my partner to see if we had sufficient funds to seal the deal at the sellers price and then the seller would no longer respond to my communications. The car has since been relisted at a price exceeding what what originally advertised. I don’t get it. We were willing to take the car at his price but he wouldn’t respond. I got tired of the games. It had to make sense after the cost of shipping and the numbers just didn’t make the car feasible for us at that moment in time. It was time to simply walk away.

409Kid

Well Known Member
Update on the engine build.

After waiting 10 weeks for Manley to ship out valves Nathan put a bug in their ear. Apparaently, “The Guy” at Manley who does this particular machining proceedure had been out on medical leave and hadn’t returned which is why we still hadn’t received our 4-6 week lead time order. We were told that it would be another 6-8 weeks before the order would be filled. We decided to have the valves shipped raw and Nathan would finish the machining on the stems. Manley shipped the valves and when they arrived the work had been completed. No explanation from Manley…

So the work will begin with putting the heads back in good order this week. A crack repair in one area, new 11/32’ bronze guides to be cut down and fitted. At a minimum one valve seat must have a replacement. I had been warned that the castings are quite thin around the original seats and that new seats may make the castings porous. At this point we don’t have an option. The other head had previously had a full set of seats installed. It had a clean bill of health with the pressure test. I passed the word into Nathan and once the head has been sonic checked we can go forward. ARP T washers will be installed in every head bolt hole to effect repairs to the casting damage from repeated servicing. Once the valves are fitted and their height verified springs and retainers will be ordered to accommodate our cam choice.

We have the Comp .700 roller cam, Crower roller lifters, and Harland Sharpe Diamond Series roller rockers (built to our 1.75 x 7/16” spec.) at the house.

I haven’t ordered the stroker kit yet. Finding a piston manufacturer has been elusive. Ross has been the only company to get back with me for Z-11 pistons. I had a conversation with Rob Walden just as he was heading out the door for Dragway 42 409 event a month ago to discuss having him assemble a 480 kit for me to drop into place He has a piston shop he uses for all their custom work.

In the meantime, I have been in negotiation for some genuine Z-11 engine parts so that I can eventually build a stock short block. The second reason for buying up this stuff is to actually have a piston as a basis to pattern off of for the stroker build. I will expand on this when the package deal is finalize.

As soon as the heads are done and I can get them home they will be mocked up along with the cam to determine push rod length so that they can be ordered. That will finish the parts needs for the top end.

Last edited:

409Kid

Well Known Member
After several weeks of negotiation I have purchased a nice original Z-11 oil pan, crankshaft std/std, 9 rods and 2 sets of Forged True pistons.

The wish list is getting smaller. Still looking for the following Z-11 parts;

Harmonic balancer
Flywheel
Water pump
Oil pump and pickup
Fuel pump

Anyone willing to part with some of these pieces from their private stashes I would greatly appreciate their help.

Cylinder head machine work has begun and I should have them back early next month.

Once I acquire the remaining missing original pieces to build the 427” a shortblock will be built using the factory experimental cam or a reproduction of it.

The 480” project will continue to move forward

Reactions: 327

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The damper & flywheel both have dedicated part numbers for "RPO Z-11" The damper has a "weight" cast into the inner hub like a 454 BBC. No one has shown pics or talked about the flywheel. My guess is that it had a cast in weight or was excessively drilled on one side making the opposite side act as a counterweight. IMO this was done to compensate for the added counterweight weight needed because of the longer stroke since there was no room for larger/heavier counterweights on the crank.
Jeff

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Attached are pics from the parts book. Wasn't smart enough to get these right side up.
This is from my old GM parts books.
Flywheel ----------- 63 SPT.CPE. (RPOZ11)........................ (cast 3729004)...................... 3837468 $34.20
I would really like to see a pic of the backside of a known Z11 flywheel.
Damper ------------ 63 SPT.CPE. (RPO Z11) ..................... w/o pulley .............................. 3837472 $26.20

There was no mention in the parts book about 15" "wheels" for RPO Z11, but in July 63 Popular Hot Rodding there is an article about Larry "Butch" Leal's Suddenly II car running "Casler caps on 8.50 x 15 Firestone casings"
Did not see any 15" wheels listed for passenger cars until 68.
Jeff

Attachments

• Z11 damper.jpg
    Z11 damper.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Z11 flywheel.jpg
    Z11 flywheel.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would really like to see a pic of the backside of a known Z11 flywheel.
Jeff

Last edited: