Another new guy

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Lots of snow here in Iowa today--sucks. My car is a 64 Impala 409/340 4 speed, 4:11 gears w/posi. I have a couple of 409 engines i bought in 1990. Each of them has been residing in a 55 gallon barrel of oil after i took the pans and valve covers off. One is all "62" and a 409HP and the other is a 1965 400hp block with 425hp heads. I plan on taking the motor out of the car and getting the later engine gone thru and put it in the car. I'll take some pics of the car and the other engine when i take it out of the barrel.

Dave

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome to the site Dave! :crazy Send pictures of your car as soon as you can, :cool: in the mean time send a picture of the barrel.:roll It's winter and to cold to work outside, so it's nice to look at pictures. :roll :roll

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Leave it to you guys to come BARRELING in with lame jokes.:roll

Welcome to the site Dave!:beerbang

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Fishing in a barrel-i caught one

More pics to follow. This motor has been marinating in this barrel of oil for almost 20 years.

Dave

Attachments

• WEB104.jpg
    WEB104.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 63

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Here's some #'s

Neat, this one mujst be the 62.:clap:cheers

I am having trouble with the pics and will work on that tomorrow.

The numbers on the rt front of the block deck are S100008 T0626JB
Is that Tonowanda June 26, 1965(a month after i graduated high school) and a passanger car 340HP???
There is a big X on the left front of the block. On the rear of the block is 3857656
CFD and 156 Does the 656 mean the block is a late 64 or probably a 65 car or truck block? Does reliefs mean the top of the block above the piston is bored out as this block of mine is?
CFD??? What's that??
Is 156 a Julian date? June 5, 1961?? It can't be a 61 block and a 65 block(see above)unless someone has messed with the numbers on the front block deck.
Heads are 3814690 1963 400-425 HP??
One exhaust manifold 3732793
Water pump 3732760
I have 3 dual quad intake manifolds 3814881 One has 2 Carter AFB's on it and the linkage. Forgot about those. I found oil pans for both engines and a box of parts with push rods and a bunch of other small engine parts, ect. I pulled the heads off both these engines in 1990 when i dunked them in the barrels of oil. I took pics of all the numbers while pulling them out of the barrels today. It was like Christmas. I bought all this stuff in 90, put em in the barrels and did not look again until today. I guarantee one thing, there ain't no steeenking rust on it:clap

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think I might be able to answer some of your questions, if I'm wrong someone will chime in and set it straight. The CFD is for Central Foundry Division and the 156 is the Julian date, it is 156 days into the year in your case 65 which would be cast sometimes in May. The suffix code of JB is fir a 340hp. 656 was used in a car and truck, the truck having a relief notch at the top of the bore under the exhaust valve.
Looks like a well preserved 09.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard Dave:beerbang Just a question regarding the 64. Is the 09 in it the original one from that car:dunno Ken

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Wengine

Welcome aboard Dave:beerbang Just a question regarding the 64. Is the 09 in it the original one from that car:dunno Ken

I bought this car from a friend in 1988. I remember when he had the engine o-hauled. Never asked him if the engine was original. Today i went out and cleaned the paint off the right front of the block--NO NUMBERS-there was one spot that had a gouge out of it. I mostly bought the car because the body was good and it was a 409 car, so i guess i'm not that dissapointed. Hey, maybe i should have looked before 21 years went by. My friend moved to Kansas-i'll give him a call this winter. Also the previous 2 owners of the car live within 10 miles of me so i'll talk to them this winter sometime too. I am going to post more pics here tonite if things work out. Pics of the car and the cowl tag. I guess i won't know anymore about the engine in the car until i get it out.

I wonder how much those numbers being gone cost in value?? Don't really make much difference to me, my kids can worry about that someday.

Thanks
Dave