An even older and more obsolete engine guy

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Greetings, W-engine guys,

We build mainly Studebaker and Packard V8s, with the occasional six-banger or straight eight. My machinist is a genetic carrier of the W-engine virus and has decided he wants a stroker 2x4 for his '55 pickup streeter.

We've gathered a couple of 348"s, a couple of marine 409"s and a couple of truck 409"s for cores. He just bought a pair of Edelbrock heads.

It will probably be a 4" stroke, but he's tortured by the availability of the 4.25" kits for very little more money. Any real downside to the 4.25"? Some pretty sharp guys say they aren't bothered by the external balance.

Since there is infinite headroom under the pickup, he's conflicted between period correct appearance and better performance from an more race-oriented tall intake.

There will be plenty of questions as we get deeper into the build.

Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Spokane, WA 99223

Just curious, was wondering who your machinist is?

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the expert opinion confirming the seat of the pants guess. If you were ordering a rotating assembly like this today, from whom would you get it.

Bonus question - I saw some cranks listed with 2.00" rod journals. Any practical advantage on a 500hp street/strip build?

jack vines
Jack, The 2 inch rod journal is a plus on a race motor. It simply makes the crank lighter. A tad less friction but not necessary in a street type motor. If you have one already, I'd use it.

Bob