An even older and more obsolete engine guy

Greetings, W-engine guys,

We build mainly Studebaker and Packard V8s, with the occasional six-banger or straight eight. My machinist is a genetic carrier of the W-engine virus and has decided he wants a stroker 2x4 for his '55 pickup streeter.

We've gathered a couple of 348"s, a couple of marine 409"s and a couple of truck 409"s for cores. He just bought a pair of Edelbrock heads.

It will probably be a 4" stroke, but he's tortured by the availability of the 4.25" kits for very little more money. Any real downside to the 4.25"? Some pretty sharp guys say they aren't bothered by the external balance.

Since there is infinite headroom under the pickup, he's conflicted between period correct appearance and better performance from an more race-oriented tall intake.

There will be plenty of questions as we get deeper into the build.

Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Spokane, WA 99223

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
WELCOME Aboard,Keep that "VIRUS" going,this sounds like it could be fun.At least with these engines,there are options.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome Jack!! I don't have your answer but I know someone will chip in!!!

There are A-daptor kits available to put a 409 in one of your Packards!!!! Just sayin'......................

Thanks for the welcome, Don. I'd expect everything which can be known about Ws to be found here.

Actually, I've got adapters to put Packard V8s onto Chevy transmissions, because that's the way a discerning Chevy owner would go. ;>)

jack vines

63 Biscayne

Well Known Member
Welcome aboard Jack! There's a lot of knowledgeable and wise "W -engine gurus "on this site (excluding myself, I'm kind of a newbie).:laugh:cheers

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I know the mantra of most gear heads is "biggers gotta be better" but in this case. A well thought out 4" stroke 409 with a .030" overbore will net a 472" mill. Top that off with a pair of 600 cfm carbs, Jardine Tri Y stepped headers a 250+@ .050 hydraulic roller cam a 700R4 behind that with a 2500 stall converter and a 4.11 rear gear with a 30" tire, pick your width, and you will have your hands full on the street. With a DOT. slick you should be able to turn 12.00 flat in the 1/4 mile.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Jack, rocks409 here. Glad you have joined us. Your experience and knowledge will be of great help to us. We will be honored to provide any help we can in reference to your 409 questions.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome, the Packard virus is older than the W virus, both are relatively rare.

Don

My parents bought a '56 Hudson Hornet with the Packard 352" V8. It's been downhill ever since.

In Memory of Fred Totten
"Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bull**** and brilliance only come with age and experience!"
Fred

Didn't know Fred, but he might appreciate, "Don't mess with an old guy. He can't fight any more, so he'll just kill you right off."

jack vines

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site. :beer
The Edelbrock dual quad is pretty good if your machinist wants to go with the traditional look but one of our members recently came out with a new single plane, single quad intake that's really nice.
http://www.speed-port.ca/348-409-manifold.html

Here's a thread on using a 4.25" stroke. http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.php?threads/dragonslayer.10024/#post-85231
In post #6 you can see that "buildit" used a 4.25" stroke on his engine.
That's the only 4.25" stroke engine I can think of off hand. :scratch
You'd have to massage the factory pan for clearance or you can get an aluminum one from Steffs.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard from the west side of the state. And by the way that is 2-Packards sitting next to each other in my avatar...:brow

gawoodX.jpg

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Welcome to the site. :beer
The Edelbrock dual quad is pretty good if your machinist wants to go with the traditional look but one of our members recently came out with a new single plane, single quad intake that's really nice.
http://www.speed-port.ca/348-409-manifold.html

Here's a thread on using a 4.25" stroke. http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.php?threads/dragonslayer.10024/#post-85231
In post #6 you can see that "buildit" used a 4.25" stroke on his engine.
That's the only 4.25" stroke engine I can think of off hand. :scratch
You'd have to massage the factory pan for clearance or you can get an aluminum one from Steffs.

Actually, I used a 4.375" stroke crank on the 527" engine. There have been a few 4.25" stroke engines built. However, I recommend a 4" stroke as a practical limit. Not much of the piston skirt remains in the bore at BDC even with a 6.385" rod, and the compression height on the piston is down to 1.0175" after you take .010" off the deck to true it up (this with the 4.375 stroke). I like the 4" stroke, with the 6.385" rod, internally balanced.

I like the 4" stroke, with the 6.385" rod, internally balanced.

Thanks for the expert opinion confirming the seat of the pants guess. If you were ordering a rotating assembly like this today, from whom would you get it.

Bonus question - I saw some cranks listed with 2.00" rod journals. Any practical advantage on a 500hp street/strip build?

jack vines

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks for the expert opinion confirming the seat of the pants guess. If you were ordering a rotating assembly like this today, from whom would you get it.

Bonus question - I saw some cranks listed with 2.00" rod journals. Any practical advantage on a 500hp street/strip build?

jack vines

Give Bob Walla a call for the rotating assy.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jack, There is a thread under 348-409 engines, " Ross pistons, who carries". Might give you some ideas. You can also check out Scats rods,,,, 26385716A,,,,,,, 6.385 I-beam rod profiled for stroker clearance. A good rod that won't break the bank.