'65 409

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
John, I agree with your observation. Recall that the W motor was intended as a hauler, so, torque: right? But the Gen lV motor was also cheaper to produce for a broad range of applications. Remember that outside trucks, only full-size Chevys came with a W block motor.

I am lucky enough to have found a last-model survivor, and I'd like to look up with anyone else with a factory '65 409 as there are a lot of details I still have to work thru, mainly all the options it came with. My car doesn't have cruise, but I'm looking at adding one (OEM if I can find one – lots of Buick/Cads had it by '65).

I have asked the question in some other posts, who has a factory '65 409, and no-one has got back to me. I'm looking for advice on quite a lot of details so I get this survivor back close to original as I can. After 60 years, how many of the 2828 remain?
only have the factory 409 engine Flint built car :D
thumbnail (91).jpg

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
OK Russ, there's two us now. Still not enough for a game of bridge: where are the other 2826? Mine is 340 HP PG, 4d Impala hardtop, loaded, 12/64 out of Van Nuys CA, Glacier Gray with black vinyl interior, just passed 100k miles, no rust, tired paint, all mechanicals overhauled to factory spec, couple minor scratches and dents, a great survivor. Just need to fix a few things, the heater core (ouch!), vacuum and elec systems, etc and it'll be back on the road. Right now I'm working on the '62 Impala, not far off finishing, then back on the '65.

Attachments

• image0000-1.jpg
    image0000-1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 16

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
OK, here it is with the carb off, nice and clean, then back on reco'd (now with correct oil filler cap), and vacuum sorted. I have the 340hp decal, still can't work out which way the air cleaner horn points, either way the decal needs to be in front, maybe should have bought two, haha!

BTW, anyone got a '65 plastic front badge insert? They are asking 100 buckaroos here, ouch!

Still can't find any more '65 409s, where have they all gone?

Attachments

• IMG_1551.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 16