63 409/425 running hot at idle

FAZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
There is one on eBay https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-8gAAOSw1vllYPVJ/s-l960.webp and it looks just like yours, you have the correct one now. I think the 3rd rib that SSpev is seeing is just the flared opening. The shroud mounts to the 6 same bolts that hold the radiator in. They are 27" across. This is the same on 6 & V8 cars. I looked at a shroud I have and it is the same. I have 2 of these. Without the mounting flanges/legs the round part is identical top & bottom. The mounting flanges determine top & bottom as they are offset vertically from the fan opening.
Jeff 3/4
Is 27" from outside to outside flange/legs or inside to inside where the radiator sits? What I have is, Outside flange measurement is 28 3/4, inside to inside is 26 and bolt hole center to center is 27 1/2

Attachments

• Shroud IS Flange Messurement.jpg
    Shroud IS Flange Messurement.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Shroud OS Flange Messurement.jpg
    Shroud OS Flange Messurement.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 12

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Show Cars has reproductions too. I think at\round $400. Then a new correct copper brass radiator is about $700 last I looked. Don't forget the correct hoses and clamps, and spacers if you don't have them. Replace the thermostat if it has been boiling. Aren't cars fun?.

FAZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Show Cars has reproductions too. I think at\round $400. Then a new correct copper brass radiator is about $700 last I looked. Don't forget the correct hoses and clamps, and spacers if you don't have them. Replace the thermostat if it has been boiling. Aren't cars fun?.
I was checking out Show Cars and will take the $700 route. Yes cars Tare fun what else would we spend money on....lol

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I believe there are 3 bolts Studs on mine) on each side to bolt the radiator in . Spacers move the radiator out towards the engine a little.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I’m not 100% certain, but I don’ think the shroud is a 63. As far as I remember, the lower bolt holes on the shroud are open on the bottom so the bolts can be started, then the shroud drops down on them. But if the dimensions are the same, it should work unless the shroud itself is offset on the brackets different.

FAZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I’m not 100% certain, but I don’ think the shroud is a 63. As far as I remember, the lower bolt holes on the shroud are open on the bottom so the bolts can be started, then the shroud drops down on them. But if the dimensions are the same, it should work unless the shroud itself is offset on the brackets different.
It looks like tlit should fit but I will pull the radiator to make sure it fits. I'd prefer the 63 shroud but if this one fits I will deal with it for now and continue my search.

Thanks Jim

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
The reproduction radiators do not have the spacer square nuts. They must be purchased separately. You need to weld or epoxy them to the repop radiator for proper stock look. 6 are needed 3 each side.

FAZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The reproduction radiators do not have the spacer square nuts. They must be purchased separately. You need to weld or epoxy them to the repop radiator for proper stock look. 6 are needed 3 each side.
Thanks for the heads, I'll make sure to get the spacers.

Reactions: 327