62 Impala rustoration: We're going to try and save another one

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Now that the quarter panels are permanently attached, I figured I would check the fit of the front sheet metal. After bolting on the radiator support and the front fenders, I talked Mike into helping me bolt the reproduction hood onto a pair of worn out hood hinges. We were pleasantly surprised that I did not ding the hood at all while tripping over it in my little parts shed for the past few years. And the fit is very nice. We think the front driver side lip is just a tad short where it lines up with the fender just above the headlight trim. IMG_2787.jpegIMG_2786.jpegIMG_2785.jpegIMG_2784.jpeg

bobs409

Administrator
Soon time to start slinging some mud! :D I remember doing that on my 63 and block sanding when it was in the 90's and high humidity!!! :sweat Body filler dust stuck to you is a lot of fun! :scared

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It’ll be little while before priming and filler work. Patching fenders and door bottom first. Then it goes on the rotisserie to grind and smooth welds and get it ready for the red oxide. Finish the frame, drop body back on then primer/filler work. That should be over the winter if I’m lucky.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Excellent work Jim. I'm pleasantly surprised to see and hear from the master that a repop hood fits that well:good

Whoever owns 'Thunder' should just give you the car haha. I read on here somewhere that it's really rough, needs to be 'rebodied.' Clearly you can handle whatever rust problems it has:cool:
IMG_6455.jpeg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Since I’m this deep into the restoration, why not go further. I was lucky ( well maybe) enough to know someone who had this stashed away.IMG_2804.jpegIMG_2803.jpeg
It’s a nearly complete firewall/dash assembly from an air conditioned ‘62. So, since the car originally had a/c and someone did a so so job removing it years ago, I figured I needed to add a/c back onto the car. This is going to be a pretty envolved project as I’ll need to replace a good bit of the firewall. At least I have a really nice firewall to weld on. Why do I do this to myself? What else would I be doing? :facepalm:wacko:wtf:bonk

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I converted my frame off restored 1962 SS convertible to factory air - changed to factory A/C holes in firewall for blower box, evaporator, and the hole above the blower box - then reused and restored the 1962 factory air parts. This convertble was my second 1962 factory air I have. My red 62 Impala 327/300 HP 4 speed had factory air when I bought it. I have pictures of the work and templates of the factory air firewall ( you have the template with the complete dash.

”I improved the 1962 factory air system with operation & efficiency improvements with 3-4 updates” ( on 2 - 62’s )
My 1962 factory air can freeze you out, works great and easy to operate.

Jim, I can explain the improvements ( from Old Air Products in Texas) I strongly recommend the improvements- if you are interested.
I still have some NOS and nice used factory air parts.
Paul

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I converted my frame off restored 1962 SS convertible to factory air - changed to factory A/C holes in firewall for blower box, evaporator, and the hole above the blower box - then reused and restored the 1962 factory air parts. This convertble was my second 1962 factory air I have. My red 62 Impala 327/300 HP 4 speed had factory air when I bought it. I have pictures of the work and templates of the factory air firewall ( you have the template with the complete dash.

”I improved the 1962 factory air system with operation & efficiency improvements with 3-4 updates” ( on 2 - 62’s )
My 1962 factory air can freeze you out, works great and easy to operate.

Jim, I can explain the improvements ( from Old Air Products in Texas) I strongly recommend the improvements- if you are interested.
I still have some NOS and nice used factory air parts.
Paul

Thanks Paul, I’m interested in the improvements. And maybe a few extra pieces. I will send you a pm.

Last edited: