409 in a 1935 chevy

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
i dont know

All I can tell you is that it wasnt Isky, Crane, Erson,Comp, ultradyne or anybody else we knew. I even pulled the timing cover and gears off looking for a name or p/n- Nothing. So leave it to a poor choice originally and leave it at that.

Big Jim
:dunno:dunno

hogmotors

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Jim:
I can REALLY appreciate what you're doing! I originally had a sb in my 33 4dr & after it was in I wimped out & went to a Chevy V-6 because I didn't want to deal with some of the clearance issues.
If you need a rear entry head for the compressor, we have plenty + a bunch of other configurations. Just call me, 800-521-9854x0 & ask for me but NOT too early.
Uh.....I don't see the steering shaft.....have fun!(seems to be one of the "advantages" of using an R & P in Chevy of that vintage. One has to be a little more resourseful! & we won't even talk about pulling the radiator-I've got to do that.
It's GREAT that you choose to use an engine driven fan too!! You'll have a lot better luck with the A/C(the only thing we're worried about-suprise!).....& we're a SPAL distributor!! MY preference is the engine driven!
I wimped out on my 36 Suburban too! I decided on a 302 Jimmy.(I'm looking @ a 12 port though).
Keep the pics coming!

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Steering & AC

Hogmotors:

I appreciate the offer, but I do have a rear exit compressor and it will work just fine. Also if you look at the left side photo on page 1 of this string you will see the end of the steering shaft behind the motor mount. It was cutoff just behind the motor mount added a ujoint there andwill go thru the floor, use one of ididits floor bearings, use 2 more joints and go into one of their "stubby" columns. Which I picked up out at Speedway when we were in Lincoln Nebraska. Which by the way if you are near Lincoln you MUST go see the Museum of American Speed at Speedway, It WILL BLOW YOU AWAY!!!!!!!.

That said the fan does an excellent job of keeping the motor cool, it runs at thermostat oprning. (180 to190). I am going to use a remote condensor back undr the car somewhere since there is no room in the grill shell.

We will probably talk somewhere along the line anyway, again thanks for the encouragement.

Big Jim
:cheers:cheers

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Update to my 409

New update info. I took the 409 up to the race shop Saturday and was impressed wiith the shop and both Charlie Sykes and mike holdridge. They are goingto send the cam to Sig Erson to digitize as a stat point and grind me a new hydraulic roller cam, put hard seats in the heads and dyno everything. So the process moves on.

Big Jim:beerbang:beerbang:beerbang

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Progress

I reserected this string to add to the progress and to let you know we are getting closer and closer all the time.

The steering and Exhaust a re all hhoked up and im about 3/4 tubed in the body. In about 3 weeks we are going to weld the insert into the roof, take the body off frame have the frame sandblasted and painted imron industrial metallic charcoal, the start putting it back together for good.

Big jim
:cheers:cheers:cheers

Attachments

• 0822001122.jpg
    0822001122.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 82

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Jim,

Can't wait to see this bad boy finished!

Keep up the good work :clap

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Big Jim, I just re-read this whole post and wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed it and learned a few things. I have a '38 Chevy 2 dr Sedan that is getting a "W"....... It got put on hold when I bought my '61 but is going back on the front burner. I know that yours and mine have different frames but the similaritys of the whole frame are amazing......... I have done the firewall 2" to move the engine back and give me that little extra room......... I am mounting the alternator where you have the A/C compressor and really like your installation........ yes it would be nice to have the hose out of the belt but as you said it's not really that bad if you keep an eye on it.

Thanks again I really enjoyed the post.

Dave

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
38 chevy

Dave:

Yes, I too moved things, but i n moved the radiator 1-1/2" forward in the grill shell because the car had already been setup for a small block and I didnt want to move motor mounts which would have cause crossmember/ trans problems etc.

i will post more pictures soon, I am living proof that you can put 3" exhaust thru the crossmember/frame of a 35 chevy! You can see from that photo that you cannot see the exhaust anywhere thru the car, it is all tucked up and packed pretty tight but fits. this project has been challenge after challenge but its getting there. The last one was wheels and tires.

If you look I set the car up with 14 and 15 inch wheels and 70 series tire that i used to have on my current car. Just try to find a 14 or 15 tire in any thing that is widely available. So the ride height, gear ratio, trans pick speedo setiings all were based on 24.5 inch tall tires in front and 29 inch tall in back. So i ended up having to go to 16" rims in front/18" in rear with 50 series tires to get the OD dims the car was set up with. these are Billet Legacy greys with Goodyear F1 tires. I DONT LIKE big wheels AT ALL but these arent too bad cause theyt don have a lot of "air" in them so they dont look so spindly.

Thanks

big Jim

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
More Photos and story

What I attached here is a view of the inside of the left door, while Ive been messing with the 09 I have also been "tubeing" this sedan body stripping the wood framework out and replacing it all with tube. Mostly 1-1/2x1 .060 wall rect tubing. more on that to follow, you can see in the one picture most of the wood I removed. Also here is some of the 3"exhaust I fab'd and a little tickle of what we did to the fuel injection manifold, more on that as well. I'm getting ready to host a "run" here at the house on Sunday so I wont be long winded now but soon.

It has been a long, interesting journey so far, and as I said, more to come.

Big Jim

Attachments

• leftdoor.jpg
    leftdoor.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 90
  • leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 95
  • modification.jpg
    modification.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 115
  • lookforward.jpg
    lookforward.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 85
  • steering_thru_header.jpg
    steering_thru_header.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 88

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
more pictures from build

This is what I took out. As I said the 4th Annual Old Time hotrod Reunion will be her at my house on Sunday Sept 5 if anyone is inteerested.

Its more of a picnic than a car show like an old Rod run was but open to muscle cars,customs, etc no toyota's with Jesus painted on the hood, please!!!

1840 East Lincoln Hwy
DeKalb Il 60115

(815)751-4779 anytime (cell)

$10.00 we feed everybody lunch, tell lies andgenerally not take ourselves too seriously.

Big Jim

Attachments

• what_I_removed.jpg
    what_I_removed.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 77

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds like a good time Jim Would love to be there Google says 14Hrs 36 min driving:? You may have to take some pic's and let us know how it goes. Been watching your build Its looking good :beerbang What was the final steering set up I think you were talking about a chain and gear set up at one point:dunno I'm still tryiing to get the steering/exhaust to play nice together on my 51 Chevy build. Making the steering fit the exhaust has been abandoned and making the exhaust fit the Steering has started

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Steering setup

What finally worked was a little easier than chain and gears. As you can see here the guy that built my headers built them around the stearing path. I came up out of the mustang manual rack with a single Borgeson join under the alternator, thru the steady bearing under the left side motor mount, thru another single joint, thru the header, up past the head under #8 to another single joint and a floor bearing to another single joint into the bottom of an iditit "stubby" tilt column. I cannot tell you how much easier the steering was with the stubby column. I did not have to deal with that long expanse of column sticking out of the firewall dictating the end of the steering shaft based on wheel placement. what I mean is you can place the wheel (and column) where and at what angle you want mount it, bring the steering shaft from the other end, and make them connect in the middle. I thought i was going to need at least one double joint somewhere but it worked out just great. Ill take some pictures of the inside setup and the run this weekend and pass them on next week. I know how far you are as we where up in your neck of the woods for the first saracuse nationals some time ago, had a great time, both there and up in Vermont, NH, Miane and parts up east.

This I hope will help you, the people at ididit and borgeson are great people as well.

Big Jim

Attachments

• steering_front.jpg
    steering_front.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 74
  • steering_upper.jpg
    steering_upper.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 80

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What time is the bash?

If the weather is good, I'll try and make it out there. You're about an hour west of me. I can just drive west on 38.

mike

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Rt 38

you sure can, coming from the East you can either do as you say or come out I-88 get off at Peace Road come up to Rt 38 turn left and I am less than 1/8 mile west of Peace Road. I am the log house on the South side of the Road with a BIG GREY shop in the backyard.

From rt 38 east you will come up to the stop light at Peace road, there is a greenhouse on the corner (Dekalb Florist0 start slowing down because as I say we are just west of Peace Road on the left.

There will be signs too.

Lok Forward to seeing you!!!!

BigJim

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
:cool::cool:
Jim.
Can you elaborate on the wood replacement with rec. tubing of the body? Also what are you using for a roof insert?
I have a 33 Master backburner project which is very similar to your 35 and was planning on replacing most of the wood with steel, but haven't gotten started yet.

Attachments

• 3334hybrid.jpg
    3334hybrid.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 33chev1.jpg
    33chev1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 50