4 Post Lift - Experiences?

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Rotary and Direct are the same company, I believe, and those guys look like a reputable place to deal with. I'd go to the Rotary/Direct website to see if there are any promotions going on, then contact McGee. If they are still around since 1951, that speaks volumes. I worked with a similar company out here when I bought this last Direct and I couldn't be happier.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Bought my Advantage Lift (9000 XL) in August 2015.:appl My whole car, fits on the lift, with no hangovers. :goodBest purchase, Ever. Hasn't missed a beat. Been working on M/C's and Cars, since I was 14.:rolleyes I decided , I never wanted to lay on the ground Ever Again.:)

bobs409

Administrator
My only complaint is having to move 2 other cars to get the one on the top out for a ride. And I'm still doing oil changes laying on the driveway because I don't feel like juggling 3 cars around!! (plus the one your working on makes 4) I always laugh and think to myself, I have a 3k dollar car lift and here I am laying on the ground... :roll

smittys09

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was at a car show on the strip, lake Ozark mo. they had a lift set up at the show , all the parts including cable, made in North America!! 8,ooolb / 4post / I bought the one he had set up, after the show he loaded on a custom made trailer, brought it to my house , rolled it off trailer and right in my garage , 8' door opening, removable ramps, and 4 special made Dolly's if you want to move it around. I stored a vet under my 62 09, a 34 5 window coupe under it and a 48 Ford conv. " CHEVY POWERED" under it. I have had it for 9 yrs, Great for work and storage! Look on line [ The Lift Super Store } Has good reviews. About $3000 when I bought it???

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't have any experience with a 4 post lift, although I wanted one and it was my first choice. When I had my addition built onto my existing garage, I thought I had measured properly. But, I didn't take into account the length of the ramps which would have to go down to drive the car onto. I would have had to open the garage door to put down the ramps. I was a little disappointed, so I bought a 2 post lift instead from a vendor in North Carolina. I believe it's rated at 10,000 lbs. This was about 10 years ago or so, and I have no serious complaints. I was initially drawn to the 4 post lift because I could store 2 cars with it, it used 110 current and had coasters, so if the garage was large enough, you could move it around. I would have also bought the sliding jack to raise the car to work on brakes among other things. Certainly, had some assets. The biggest drawback for me using the 2 post lift, is getting down 4 times to line up the lift arms. Older I get, harder to do. Regardless, it beats the hell out of laying on cardboard in the driveway, Carmine.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't have any experience with a 4 post lift, although I wanted one and it was my first choice. When I had my addition built onto my existing garage, I thought I had measured properly. But, I didn't take into account the length of the ramps which would have to go down to drive the car onto. I would have had to open the garage door to put down the ramps. I was a little disappointed, so I bought a 2 post lift instead from a vendor in North Carolina. I believe it's rated at 10,000 lbs. This was about 10 years ago or so, and I have no serious complaints. I was initially drawn to the 4 post lift because I could store 2 cars with it, it used 110 current and had coasters, so if the garage was large enough, you could move it around. I would have also bought the sliding jack to raise the car to work on brakes among other things. Certainly, had some assets. The biggest drawback for me using the 2 post lift, is getting down 4 times to line up the lift arms. Older I get, harder to do. Regardless, it beats the hell out of laying on cardboard in the driveway, Carmine.
I was going to purchase a 2 post for my backyard, however I thought that it would be seen from the street and make my neighborhood look bad. If I had known what I know now, I would have put it in. However back in the late 80's my wife said if your going to keep working on bikes to get a drive on lift so I didn't have to bend over or work on the ground. I wound up with 2 of them. Eventually thought I stopped working on bikes, sold the lifts. About a year ago, purchased another one. If I find an excuse, I will put a 2 post in the back yard.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
When I realized that I would have to install a 2 post instead of the 4 post, I tried to be as informed as possible. I tried to find one certified and made in the USA. I wasn't successful. The closest I came was a Bendpak. (Oops, I think Mohawk?? was made here but very expensive). I enquired if their, Bendpak, 2 post was made in this country and they said it was assembled here with imported parts from various countries. One vendor admitted that most dealers import them already assembled from China or another source and they put their own name on them. I thanked them for their honesty. I made a decision and as previously mentioned, I bought one from a vendor in North Carolina. Drop shipped to my in laws business because they have a forklift to unload it. My son in law brought it to my house on a trailer and one of my other son in laws installed it in about 8 hours on a Saturday. I am happy with it. It has served me well. No issues whatsoever. I don't use it a whole lot but it's there when I need it. They recommend not to store a car on it for an extended period of time. I still don't know what an extended period of time is, but regardless, I don't do it anyway. I saw pics of what can happen if doing so. Wasn't pretty. They recommended certain specs for the concrete and I went above and beyond for just a few dollars more.
At the same time I purchased the lift, I also bought two tall jack stands. Whenever my car is on the lift, I put one stand under the A frame and the other under the rear. Lifts are mechanical and can be subject to failure. I might be paranoid, but I feel much safer using these tall jack stands. I'm not sure they would be necessary with a 4 post lift. If I had the height in my main garage, I would also have a 4 post lift. BTW, I'm 6'2" and tired of banging my head on the lift arms. The lift goes as high as it can, but I still come in contact at times. I now wear a yellow hardhat. I get laughed at but I don't care. Saves my head, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have 3 universal 8000lb 4 post lifts.They are game changers and make working on the cars so much easier.
I recommend the extra long,extra wide models.
They are not that difficult to put together with a helper,floor jack,and an engine hoist.If you can swing it get yourself a bridge jack.These allow you to safely jack up the front or the back of the car.View attachment 148833
That is one nice lift, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have my shop set up for both a 2-post (installed) and a 4-post (pending). The 2-post is a Rotary, which is more of a commercial lift than the others, but it comes with a commercial price. A 4-post will let you do everything that a 2-post will do (if you have the rolling jacks) except lift a body off the frame (which I needed first). I am 6' 3" so I got a high lift unit but I have a 24" ceiling in my shop. I concur on the long length and wide width choices, plus I would make certain that it supports lifting a minimum of 9,000 lbs to allow servicing of your trucks, etc. Stay with a brand name and get as much as you can afford. Don't cheap out - your life depends on it!
Couldn't agree more with you. You have to get underneath your car. Get the best one you can. If a 2 post, supplement it with tall jack stands. Gives a sense of safety and security. If something was to go terribly wrong, would they be of help?? I'd like to think that, Carmine.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 16
As far as storing a car under a car on a 2 post, I don't see a problem with that. I spend a lot of time under one working on cars and trucks. I would say my life is more valuable than a car falling on a car. One just needs to make sure that you lift the car properly. I would be more afraid of working under a car on a 4 post that was not bolted to the floor.

bobs409

Administrator
My 4 post is not bolted down and never had a problem. It doesn't move at all in all these years of driving on and off. In fact, I just checked it with a tape measure this year because it looked a bit crooked. Nope, exactly even from the wall front to back.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My 4 post is not bolted down and never had a problem. It doesn't move at all in all these years of driving on and off. In fact, I just checked it with a tape measure this year because it looked a bit crooked. Nope, exactly even from the wall front to back.
Had mine for 22 years - never bolted down. Was told when I bought it was not necessary.
We have yanked and pulled and banged on that hoist and it has not moved........ :good ..

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The biggest capability differences between a 2-post and a 4-post are:
1. You can do suspension work easier on a 2-post, but you can solve that problem on a 4-post by using rolling jacks.
2. You can do a body lift with a 2-post but not a 4-post.
3. 2-posts are somewhat touchy about how the car is balanced on the lift and require paying attention to where the lift points are placed.
4. Removing heavy item, such as a trans, rear axle or an engine (if they come out from the bottom) can be tricky with a 2-post because of the change in the balance of the car on the lift. Tall lift jacks are mandatory.
5. 4-post ramps sometimes get in your way when you are working.

Other things to consider when buying:
A. Your height (at 6' 3" I needed a tall lift, but I had enough ceiling height to fit anything.) You don't want to be bent over when you are working - that gets very tiring.
B. Load capacity. I wouldn't get anything less than 9,000 lbs capacity. Although you may not need it for your current project, I can guarantee that someday you will want to do some work on your pickup truck.
C. Make certain that it is a good quality lift with mechanical interlocks over the entire height of the lift.
D. Some lifts have mechanical interlocks that can be released by a lever, some require compressed air to release the locks.
E. Unless you absolutely can't get 220V to your lift, get a 220V units. They move up MUCH quicker when loaded.
F. Stay away from the cheap lifts. Buy quality. You will never regret it. They are made better, last longer, require less service and may save your life!

Oh, and the last item. As you get older, you will REALLY appreciate the convenience of having a lift available, even if it is just to change tires!

Again, all of the above is just my opinion, but it is based upon experience.
John

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
My Advantage Lift, isn't bolted down, either. Received 4 cantilever rollers, to move the lift around. Very Kool.:good Unlike most other 4 Post Lift's, this Lift has the slots cut right into the 4 steel pillars.:winner Other lifts have a ladder plate that's separate from the pillars. It is bolted, to the pillars. These types of lift's are less stable, and can wobble. I am never afraid being under my lift. :appl

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
As far as storing a car under a car on a 2 post, I don't see a problem with that. I spend a lot of time under one working on cars and trucks. I would say my life is more valuable than a car falling on a car. One just needs to make sure that you lift the car properly. I would be more afraid of working under a car on a 4 post that was not bolted to the floor.
You would have much more experience in storing a car on a 2 post lift then myself. I can only recite what the manufacturer stated and from what I read and saw online. I would think the 4 post would be much better then a 2 post for storage??
A lot of good info/experience shared in these threads. Thanks. As I mentioned, I don't have a 4 post lift, but part of the appeal to me, were casters that you could buy to be able to move it around. I would think they would lock somehow so there wouldn't be a problem in driving onto the ramps. Many here have mentioned that they have theirs bolted to the floor and that's fine also. My lift requires 220 volts and it moves up and down quite nicely. I am very much aware of balancing it properly on the arms. That's another reason I like the use of tall jack stands. Occasionally, I will put a level against the vertical towers to check for plumbness and they are still perfectly perpendicular to the floor. Having a lift is a luxury for a home hobbyist like myself, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Now that you mention it Carmine, mine is also 220 volt and it's something I don't like about these. I don't think they need to be 220 volt. I have seen plenty of power units that were 110 and work just fine. Another thing pertains to Bend Pak lifts; the air locks... PITA is what I think about them. Some have mechanical rods that actuate the locks. Anything would be better than air. Just my thoughts. I bet many like it that way but I rarely have air on stand by so that means I have to fire up the compressor to lower it.

Been doing some deep thinking.... :D When I got my lift, none of the holes lined up on one of the runways. I contacted them and told them I had to drill new ones to make it work. They were sorry and offered me 1/2 off one of those trolley jacks or a free floor jack. I was happy they did that over some mis-matched holes and just took the floor jack. BUT... 18 years later, I discovered the channels that are welded onto the sides of the runways for that trolley jack to ride in are in the wrong position on mine!! It's welded to the top of the runway and all I have seen, it's welded to the bottom of it. I never noticed it before because I never had the trolley jack. It was only recently I noticed it when I was thinking of building some type of jack. This of course would put that jack assembly a few inches higher that the vehicle would have to "clear" when driving on/off. I wonder how many got shipped out like mine???? Wish I spotted that in 2005!! Maybe they would have given me a full refund and keep the lift. (probably not)