1961 Bubble

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Those plastic covers(front and rear seats) were installed by a friend who restored this car over 20 years ago. We can ask him if
he remembers where he got them.
Paul

I knew I had not seen a set of those (or the ones that look like bubble wrap) in many years. I was hoping that someone had a source for them as I'd like to slip a set of those clear ones on both my Bel Air and the wagon after I get them going. I'm hoping both cars will see a good bit of use and could protect the seats.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I remember those clear plastic waffle pattern seat covers were sold by a company called "Fingerhut'. They may have sold the smooth plastic ones too. Some guy started out selling those seat covers out of his garage in MPLS. MN. Eventually turned into a big corporation, now long gone. Those seat covers were popular back in the day because most folks were driving their cars on gravel roads with the windows down and wearing greasy work clothes. My father in law was a carpenter and had those covers on his '62 Ford Galaxie. A lot of those cars went to the scrapper with really nice seats.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I remember those clear plastic waffle pattern seat covers were sold by a company called "Fingerhut'. They may have sold the smooth plastic ones too. Some guy started out selling those seat covers out of his garage in MPLS. MN. Eventually turned into a big corporation, now long gone. Those seat covers were popular back in the day because most folks were driving their cars on gravel roads with the windows down and wearing greasy work clothes. My father in law was a carpenter and had those covers on his '62 Ford Galaxie. A lot of those cars went to the scrapper with really nice seats.
Leo, Very well said...:clap

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Fingerhut is still in business. Giny has the latest catalog around here somewhere.. I'll take a look and post later.
:crazy:cheers

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thank you for every picture you post of that car. It always brings back great memories. The '62 is beautiful as well.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Hey Paul, is that your buddy I met when we last connected halfway between Iowa and Missouri?

Good job on both the '61 and the '62!

Cheers!
TomK

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes that is my friend when we met halfway. His 62 SS came restored from Illinois although he/we have made some improvements over the years.

We are now actually doing 62 SS 409 red/red convertible together as of last N0vember - the frame is already done for it.
along with my 62 SS 409 Convertible blue/blue that will be home at my house this month from the body shop.
Paul

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Magic photos of the car and the shake down run.
A smile that wide says it all.

Also a magic truck.
the 61 went in on the bottom and came out on the top

The cream always rises to the top they say

Steve