Another 409 Bob!

409 bob

Hi Folks,
It is a pleasure to be on this forum. I am the owner of the "Legendary Schithead Bros 409 Powered A coupe" from the old days. Actually 1980's Nostalgia Drags (NDRA) at Fremont, CA. If anyone remembers. The Coupe has been run for many years and if I can help anyone out with theirs, I will try. Yes, it runs six Rochester carbs, (welded up Weiand manifold) and 2 1/4" into 4" headers with stuffing plates. It has an ISKY roller cam, and Crane roller rockers. Venolia pistons and Manley super stock rods in big block length. It was a 460" welded up stroker until that broke. Now it has a stock crank. It still runs close to ten's with the 4'II's in place. I am enjoying reading all the 409 talk!

Attachments

• CIMG0811.JPG
    CIMG0811.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 16

James jones

Well Known Member
Welcome aboard bob. What a nice looking roadster. I’ve heard about those 6 carbs on that manifold back in the day but never seen one. Sounds like you’ve got a monster with those e.t.s. Glad you are with us.

Reactions: 327

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can't say that I remember the car, although I did go to a few Nostalgia drags around those years. Last one I think was at Sears Point though. Unfortunately, I was one of the PG&E workers that disconnected some of the power to BayLands Raceway when it was shut down.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome Bob! Neat old car! My Son inlaw is building a 29 and I’m putting together a 348 stroker with a similar 6 two setup like your running for it!! We need some more pictures please!

409 bob

Thanks, Barry, I'm trying to send a pic of my linkage. 1727144496490.jpegThis is for Rochester's. If you are using Stromberg's, I just happen to have another engine with them! I can send pics of that. Notice a very solid jackshaft in the back mounted with Heim ends. (at far right of pic.) duplicate this on the other three carbs. Don't be afraid to tap holes into the manifold for mounting. I had to have blocks up under the carbs for clearance. You've got yourself a real project! It will be worth it!