4 Post Lift - Experiences?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know this comes up from time to time, but I'm looking for a 4 post garage lift, or at least I believe that is our needs.

With the '59 in progress and no garage space, my wife and I are discussing a lift for the garage. With 11.5 feet of clearance under an open garage door, we're good on space for a lift. With the '59 being the heavier and tallest of the two vehicles, I think a standard weight capacity would be fine.
The other vehicle is my wife's '04 Mustang GT.

I know I could google/amazon search until I'm blue in the face, however, real world experience beats paid reviews.

We'd have someone do the install, I think the checkbook is the best tool in the tool box this time.

Let me know thoughts and experiences.
Thanks

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have 3 universal 8000lb 4 post lifts.They are game changers and make working on the cars so much easier.
I recommend the extra long,extra wide models.
They are not that difficult to put together with a helper,floor jack,and an engine hoist.If you can swing it get yourself a bridge jack.These allow you to safely jack up the front or the back of the car.69154138533__8AF07C57-ED02-491C-A55A-EC27D22BA5A8.jpeg

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Are you looking for lift that you can work on your car or to just double stack for parking?
That would be the first thing I would consider when shopping for a lift.
Yes.
The "bridge jack" could be handy also.
I need to get one of these. 2 would be better! I mainly have a storage issue.
Any particular "flavor", there seems to be a 1000 different ones.
Any one unhappy with a particular flavor?
Jeff

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I would get a bigger brand name hoist. First off it will most likely be built heavier, and have the options you desire. The second thing to consider is replacement parts. If you buy a cheap no name hoist, service parts will be hard to come by. Bendrakes are excellent hoists. Not overpriced, and will last nearly forever in a home setting. I have a BendPak hoist I bought for my shop 24 years ago, and with a minimum of repairs in my commercial setting, has been excellent.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I would say Bend-Pak, Direct/Rotary and Advantage in no particular order, depending on sales, promotions, electrical considerations etc.

And they are game changers for sure, but examine the specs carefully in terms of height, width, parts availability too.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I would recommend Advantage lift and they also sell BendPak.
I have had a 4 post lift since 2004 - the company that made my lift went out of business after owner died.
I did replace the rollers on the lift.
Mine has muitple locking locations on all 4 posts

I strongly, strongly, recommend a power coated lift ( red or black - mine is red). My lift looks as good as it did when I
puchased it installed in 2004 - wipes off with glass cleaner.
I also have removeable aluminum ramps ( removeable ramps are much safer ( so you do not walk into the 2 drive on ramps. ). “I would hate the folding hanging drive on ramps on a 4 post lift…”””

Advantage lift has measurements/ chart to check the lift for Ceiling height with various heights of cars with your 11.5 feet of ceiling height.
I have jack bridges and 4 plastic trays to catch any drips.

I selected the motor lift location on my lift ( front and left side but back side of post for walking clearance.
I also recommend a wider lift and check length that you need.

Paul

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I bought a Direct 8000 lb 4 post in 2021 from a local Western NY company Loomis Root. It cost me just over $3000 installed. Love the lift. Not as easy to work on as a asymmetrical 2 post I had at my previous home, but it allows me to store my two cars. Only complaint is that the removeable ramps are heavy because they are steel. Aluminum ramps were another $500 if I wanted them. Note: I no longer have the El Camino or Vette. (Now have a 63 SS 409 and a 62 SS 409. Just a photo to illustrate lift. I have 10' sidewalls and about 15' at the ridge.IMG-4528.jpg

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bought a Rotary in 2002 - extra long and extra high for trucks.
The Rotary is a true shop hoist and well built....:good
Assembled it with a buddy and then had it inspected - told it was a good install...:cool:.
Later on bought a regular Direct hoist mainly for storage but have done transmissions etc
on it. It is very stable but slow with the 110v motor. The Rotary has a 220v and moves quickly.
Neither hoist is bolted down and can be re-positioned easily with the caster system provided.
Highly recommend a four post for the old knees that don't bend any more and get the aluminum ramps.

hoist 3.jpg

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Are you looking for lift that you can work on your car or to just double stack for parking?
That would be the first thing I would consider when shopping for a lift.
Mostly will be used to double stack for parking. I may start doing my own oil changes and light maintenance again.
At a minimum, I was thinking of drip pans.

Thanks everyone for the info!

I'll be checking these out!

bobs409

Administrator
I'm just glad I got mine in 2005 instead of buying one today. The Bendpack I have went up 2 grand!!! It's a shame what has become of things in this country.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanx Jeff
Original L36 (427-390hp) 4 speed car PS PB from Adcox Kirby Chev in Chattanooga, TN. ... :cool: .
Owned 30 years and a Tremec 5 speed now resides behind the 427....:good
Recently put a new deluxe interior (vinyl/cloth) in it - sure makes it nice to drive...:stpat1
SWEET!
I am slowly trying to gather parts for a L72 clone car. Not so concerned about numbers as long as it looks the part. I acquired the infamous idler pulley over 30 years ago in a what the hell moment. I have at least 2 to do before that, If our Great Lord is willing!
Jeff

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I have my shop set up for both a 2-post (installed) and a 4-post (pending). The 2-post is a Rotary, which is more of a commercial lift than the others, but it comes with a commercial price. A 4-post will let you do everything that a 2-post will do (if you have the rolling jacks) except lift a body off the frame (which I needed first). I am 6' 3" so I got a high lift unit but I have a 24" ceiling in my shop. I concur on the long length and wide width choices, plus I would make certain that it supports lifting a minimum of 9,000 lbs to allow servicing of your trucks, etc. Stay with a brand name and get as much as you can afford. Don't cheap out - your life depends on it!

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the info, this is all really good info.
Has anyone used a lift or have experience with a McGee lift?
The only reason I'm considering a lift from them is they are a Denver based company and they are about 40 miles from me.

They are used a lot in the Denver area for this reason and they have been in business since the 50s.

I won't say I'm sold on them just yet, but I do like the idea of supporting a local company when it it makes sense.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks for the info, this is all really good info.
Has anyone used a lift or have experience with a McGee lift?
The only reason I'm considering a lift from them is they are a Denver based company and they are about 40 miles from me.

They are used a lot in the Denver area for this reason and they have been in business since the 50s.

I won't say I'm sold on them just yet, but I do like the idea of supporting a local company when it it makes sense.
It appears they are a Rotary authorized dealer - that is a good start....... :good .

https://rotarylift.com/business-directory/mcgee-company-3/
MCGEE COMPANY*
Genuine Parts Provider;RAI Installer;Any Capacity Lift Installer
rotarylift.com