Thompson CT swap meet find!

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Gary,

Except for liking the same kind of cars, you and I couldn't be more different. We find our pride of ownership in the opposite ways. And you must be a lot more relaxed than I am. If a paid what, $2500 to chrome just one bumper and someone bumped it like it was made for, I don't know what I'd do. I wouldn't even want to take it anyplace where that could happen. I couldn't enjoy it. I'd only want a car like that after the collector car market collapses and I'd get it for pennies on the dollar.

Earl Scheib. That's funny. There are reputable body shops that will do quality paint including door jambs, etc. and clear for less than $5k. That's with me getting it ready and primed like I would do. A high-end restoration shop might charge the moon for a similar paint job when they find someone willing to pay it. That's just commerce.

I can appreciate a way-over-restored car but does the owner have any interesting stories about how he dragged home a parts car, found some needle-in-a-haystack part at a swap meet or junkyard or how to fix or test something? I guess he can say where he had the work done.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Brian,

If I offended anyone with the Earl Schieb comment, I'll be the first to apologize. I'm the classic guy with a champagne taste on a cheap beer budget. I think everyone on this forum should be proud of their cars and their abilities, whether they do all the work themselves or pay to have it done. I do what work I can in my side of our garage and it sucks, but I enjoy doing what I do in that cramped space. I'm great at tearing shit apart......putting back together?.......not so good.

If I had started with this 409 stuff from scratch today, I couldn't / wouldn't have what I have now. And even at that, I do not have all the great stuff so many others do. My body off "restoration" was done as economically (for me) as possible. The sandblasted body was sealed with minor body work done, (on a rust free car), primed and sanded several times, interior paint done, 3 coats of color @ over $700.00/gallon, color sanded, and 3 coats of clear with polishing.

Cost..... 2ea. 1911 Colt automatics.....1ea. Colt 1911A1.......WW1 & WW2 documented uniform groups.....antique display cases from my basement museum. Styrofoam torso forms to display the uniforms..... Also I had to provide 2 WW1 machine guns that were dewated by current ATF standards plus $1000.00 cash. My cost was maybe $12K........and they were purchased over time and many years ago. They value over $25K today in a conservative estimate. I BARTERED my paint and body work, as there was no way I could afford it. Is is show quality?.....No,.. but real nice!

Did I mention, that I have a Z-11 motor???.....I do.....Can I afford it?.....NO.......Am I bragging?.... NO...(well maybe).....(well yes).....But the guy I bought it from took payments for over a year, and I couldn't have done it without my wife "borrowing" the money to loan me for the final payment (she thought) from her 401K that I'm paying back... Carl McQuillen is building it. I sold my Gibbs built motor to help pay for the Z build. Could I build it?....Yes,.... with the help of this forum telling me how. Could I afford to screw something up (like the heads)? ...no..... I am blessed, and feel like I do not deserve my good fortune of being the care taker of this motor. There are others here that would love to have it!!....I was in the right place, with the right seller, at the right time. It was dumb luck and timing!!

I'm a middle class over-achiever with two teenagers in a private high school (Catholic), as I think public schools are declining. My medical business is in decline with 8 years of the current administration with no quick answers. That translates into less money for my passion and getting creative in ways to continue playing like I'm a mechanic/restorer! .....(NOT).... Am I crying poor boy?....Hell no.....I just can't do it with money alone.

This 348-409 forum is the finest and best mannered forum on the net. There is more first hand knowledge here than any one of us could ever learn on our own, and all are eager to help anyone with any problem. I visit here several times a day and I am always amazed at what people are finding and doing. I truly wish I had your talent to do all the work on my cars, but I don't. Nor do I have the time or space.

I typically stay away from comments such as this, but I made the Earl Schieb comment in good fun with no ill intent. I think all the comments in this thread was / is in good intent. Again, if I offended you or anyone with my comments, I apologize.

Dennis

Last edited:

Cayneman

Well Known Member
Dennis, no need to apologize for the Earl Schieb comment. I thought it was right on. You obviously know the cost of materials and the labor that goes into a decent paint job. My post regarding a restoration on one of our cars I believe was right on as well. The total restoration costs depend on how far you want to go and the quality you attempt to achieve. Every thing on my 63 Impala is either new or rebuilt. The paint is what I would consider show quality. The grill, and all the trim and has been chromed therefore the over $7,000.00 price tag from Nashville. The interior is all brand new from Cars Inc. and professionally installed. My point was I just don't believe you can do a quality restoration for 40-45K as someone previously posted.. Anyone who has ever got into building one of our cars knows the difficulty of finding all the nit noid parts you have to replace. You can't find any parts for $5.

Gary

Last edited:

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My price estimate was based on how I would probably "restore" car. Some work done by me, some farmed out. I didn't price out individual parts or shop fees I just ball parked what a decent restoration on the car would cost to make it a very nice presentable driver. Plus I will never own a car that is over restored/not drivable due to the concours restoration on it. Which again validates my price estimate to build a reliable, fun car. I stand by my ballpark figure.

No409

Supporting Member 1
wow, I live next town over from Thompson, and couldn't make it( Disney family trip!) its probally the same guy that had a 2x4 air cleaner and a set of dripper v/c`s there last time for $2500 firm. most of the time its just junk there

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Dennis,

I didn't take any offense. My cousin had his mid-'70's Monte Carlo painted at Earl Scheib in the mid-'80's. "We'll paint any car (including windows and tires!) for $xx.95." I showed him how to wet sand and buff a small spot to shine. I don't think he went any farther and sold or junked it. Jason's car has better paint than mine so I get that there is a difference in quality. Yours is probably worth all the sacrifices you made for it. Z-11 engine must be awesome.

Yes I like this forum and am careful not to offend. If I do, I don't mean to. I can't relate to having enough money to chrome not only the chrome parts but parts that were never chromed to begin with. That's what over-restoring means. If I had that kind of money I'd build a garage, get the wife a Nomad, maybe build a custom I've imagined. Different strokes for different folks. Like you, I work in a cramped two car garage where things can fall or bump into the car. If I spent all that money plating the back bumper, I'd end up closing the garage door on it. We put two kids through Catholic K-8. Now have one in college and one in h.s. Our third child has disabilities our church school isn't staffed to work with. Before he was born I used to think the government closed all the institutions for people with disabilities in the '70's and gave most of that money to doctors and public schools. I also thought they gave a lot to the families for the expenses of home care so they wouldn't have to re-open the institutions. Not so. We're getting by without selling the cars but I don't know how some families do it.

I just finished the last lawn mowing of the season. Riding mower engine has so much blow-by that I had to convert the PCV system into a smoky road draft tube so it would run right. Should fix that this winter before doing any more on the 409. Can't swing a different mower right now. Going to work on the SS yet this afternoon. It picked up a vibration that's getting worse. Could be the new Hankook tires. I have an old set of mis-matches in the shed I'll balance and put on just to see what that does.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well I'm glad no harm done!! I think we can all agree that we have these wonderful old cars as a common link and thread and bond.... We are all part of a unique group!!
....So here is to busted knuckles.....stripped threads...and rusty nuts:cheers

And staying broke....:drinking..........................and all the while.....lookin' for another part:drunk

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
What did you do? You got a conversation started :clap

What happens to the cast-off parts that aren't good enough for the $45k - $90k restorations? Very little for used parts on e-bay or CL these days.