The Ford Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln (MEL) Engines

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
The 1958 Mercury MEL 430 Super Marauder with 3 X 2bbl. carbs. was probably the first American regular production passenger car to have an engine with 400 (advertised) horsepower. The '58 Edsel version was 410 cubic inches.

The famous photo-finish at the first Daytona 500 in Feb. 1959 was between Lee Petty (winner) in a '59 Olds and Johnny Beauchamp (2nd place) in a '59 T-Bird with a 430 MEL engine.

Rick

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

strangebrew

Animal Jim...that brings back some memories, I remember seeing him for the first time at Cordova in '87 and being amazed at the kleenex box shaped Zephyr going over 200 at about 7 flat, he did burnouts like a funny car. When you've got 717 cu. inches to work with it helps.
About the MEL, I helped a cousin drop one in a '63 Galaxie, it was so heavy it made the car look like it had hi-jackers on it, but you could punch it at 40mph and it would light up the tires and be almost impossible to control. He surprised a lot of people who thought it still had the 352 in it, lots of fun.:brow

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Animal Jim...that brings back some memories, I remember seeing him for the first time at Cordova in '87 and being amazed at the kleenex box shaped Zephyr going over 200 at about 7 flat, he did burnouts like a funny car. When you've got 717 cu. inches to work with it helps.
About the MEL, I helped a cousin drop one in a '63 Galaxie, it was so heavy it made the car look like it had hi-jackers on it, but you could punch it at 40mph and it would light up the tires and be almost impossible to control. He surprised a lot of people who thought it still had the 352 in it, lots of fun.:brow

I remember him and Kuhlman going for the 200 at Cordova one night (Kuhlman did it), Jim went 199 and I could read the name on theside of his car about midtrack. By the way he's still match racing that Zepher. Check out his site for the report from June 1 08 on his match with Arnie at Joliet, he tells it better than I ever could. I've known Jim for, OMG, 46 years.

Ray