She's gonna be so fine

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
YAP My 409

First off thank you Aubrey............. I have bugged the $H!# out of Aubrey from the minute i joined the site, :D So.............. my goal is to have this thing ready for the big convention next year the details so far are

3844422 1964 standard bore car block, soon to be .038 over ,hope i never have to buy another one
Stock stroke 3.50 crank turned .010 .010
Lunati rods 6.135
583 heads with 2.250 / 1.75 valves (they were already cut for the big ones)
cam to be determined ( Aubrey)
Pistons are in the process of being built ( Aubrey)
and guess what intake i am planning on using:think ...............yap SP7000 (Aubrey)

the block has been at the machine shop (Coronets in Sommerset, KY.) for about a month they will assemble, balance and blueprint the short block,
still have a long way to go but the finished product (409)is going in my 62 Belair Sport Coupe :dance

Never ..........Ever ..............thought i would have either but it looks like it just might happen:love, I'll try and get pictures the next time i'm at the machine shop and Aubrey feel free to post some of the pistons and intake

Me and Aubrey have been collecting parts since June, I have also picked Jason's brain
he has done a lot of research on all of the parts for a 409 Thanks Jason

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Great combination on the engine, excellent vehicle to display that stroker in :) :) :).

Good luck with the build and with the final product!

Best,
TomK

No stroker here, Tom... this is a REAL 409:deal ( 3.50" stroke )

Not my show:no... this is Martin's.
I can say that he's OK with running Moroso octane booster all the time, so compression is high... actual final number will be 11.75:1. Moderate tension rings.
Looking at a nasty street ride, with a very bad attitude. Will be spinning some RPM... shifting around 7000
I'm sure Martin would welcome some advice / pointers on cyl head port and bowl work, to make them really work.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds like a great project! With good tuning you just might get away with premium pump fuel. Or at most a splash of 110 in the tank. Nothing wrong with stock stroke and those heads will work great!

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Guys, I am real excited and like Aubrey said I will need alot of help and advice, as for the heads, I would like to use these rocker arms and valve covers should give me plenty of room , I plan on having the valve covers powder coated stock color should match Aubreys intake pretty good. Well ya'll know the 583 heads with 2.250 / 1.750 valves and the intake so lets build some heads :brow...........

this is where ya'll come in........................... oh ya thanks guys

rocker arms.jpgvalve covers.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Okay,How much camshaft,and compression?Max planned rpm,how much gear? It would be easy to go too big here given the stock stroke. This so
unds like something for Ronnie,Jim and Jim,someonbe more familar with " race"style set ups.:pop

Looking at this for camshaft:
Solid, flat tappet, on a 108 lobe sep, ground and installed straight up"

Net lift at valve
.596" / .593"
Dur @ .050"
252 / 258
adv dur:
290 / 292

or, on a 107 lobe sep:

Net left at valve:
.605" / .612"
Dur @ .050"
256 / 260
adv dur:
287 / 291

Cubic inches works out to about 417
With correct headers, power range should be around 3200/3400 to 7000/7200

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Compression 11.75:1 camshaft :dunno Aubreys area, gear well is anyone runnin a richmond 5 speed if i can swing it and it will fit without cutting
my car up I kinda like that but it changes everything as far as what gear i will run right now a muncie with 4.10 gears. 409 will have a Hays Aluminum flywheel, 11 inch center force dual friction clutch and pressure plate, already have these. Question about the Richmond 5 speed
will the shifter fit in the stock position without cutting the floor board, don't want to cut my car.