Power Steering Control Valve Interchange with Corvette?

BB1960

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Does anyone know if a early 62-82 Corvette PSCV will interchange with an early Chevy Impala (ie 1960).

Cheers

Simon

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi All,

Does anyone know if a early 62-82 Corvette PSCV will interchange with an early Chevy Impala (ie 1960).

Cheers

Simon
You mean 63-82, as 63 was the first year for PS on Corvette.

It will physically interchange, but there are some differences in valving, as I recall.

The control valve used for 1958-82 passenger car applications is MOSTLY the same as the Corvette valve but not exactly the same. The difference is an installed spring in the valve portion of the valve and adapter assembly. Corvette valves usually have a "C" or and "X" stamped on the cover on the end of the valve.

The hydraulic ram assembly is different between Corvettes and passenger cars. The passenger car assembly is about 3" longer in overall extended length than the Corvette piece.

The spring in the Corvette valve is 55 pounds and in the Chevy II/Nova is 30 lbs. haven't yet found the spring rate on full size car, but I'll leep looking.
Here is a very good discussion on the rebuild.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-...-steering-control-valve-leak-and-rebuild.html

BB1960

Well Known Member
Great, so it will fit, the difference in the valving I would guess would be to provide less assist?

I have the whole setup for a 60 impala but the control valve is stuffed, a corvette one has come up on feebay

It's cost is less than the freight for a new/rebuilt on.

Any comment on it it will work?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Great, so it will fit, the difference in the valving I would guess would be to provide less assist?

I have the whole setup for a 60 impala but the control valve is stuffed, a corvette one has come up on feebay

It's cost is less than the freight for a new/rebuilt on.

Any comment on it it will work?

It should work if it is properly rebuilt, but the spring pressure may be different depending on if the rebuilder is aware of the difference. Seems most of the rebuilds are generic and come with whatever spring is handy.
You could reuse your original spring to achieve the correct valve pressure.....or it may work just fine.:dunno
Also be aware that a lot of people advertise a part for Corvette even if it isn't any different from pass car.....for the money.

BB1960

Well Known Member
I've pulled down my control valve and found the following differences from the article you've linked.

Mine does not have the groove to recieve the oring I've marked in the photos.

The other difference is marked in the photo, it shows what looks like it may be a gasket or shim, mine is missing this too.

With the oring not there, and no gasket, I'm not sure how it will seal.

This is a 2nd hand ebay unit and looks like it has been appart so may be missing gaskets.

Has anyone rebuilt a fullsize unit and found the same differences as me?

If so, did you just make gaskets for both sides of the separator plate?

Attachments

• PSCVallthepieces.jpg
    PSCVallthepieces.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Installationstack6.jpg
    Installationstack6.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 28

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've pulled down my control valve and found the following differences from the article you've linked.

Mine does not have the groove to recieve the oring I've marked in the photos.

The other difference is marked in the photo, it shows what looks like it may be a gasket or shim, mine is missing this too.

With the oring not there, and no gasket, I'm not sure how it will seal.

This is a 2nd hand ebay unit and looks like it has been appart so may be missing gaskets.

Has anyone rebuilt a fullsize unit and found the same differences as me?

If so, did you just make gaskets for both sides of the separator plate?

Which valve do you have? I understood that you had a 60 and was looking to buy one for a Corvette from ebay. Did you get it and is that the one you have dissassembled, or are you referring to your original 60 valve?
Since the valve pictured in the rebuild artilcle is from a 63-82 Corvette, I suspect that the differences you noted came about in 63. If your valve is older, then it would not have those features. Looking at my 61 Shop Manual, it shows the valve parts that don't have those parts either, so I suspect the 60-62 valves are the same and 63-82 are as pictured. The complete valves may be interchangeable although the internal parts are different.

There were several improvements in the valves through the years, so first you have to determine which one you have.
There was the 55-57 valve and here are the rebuild instructions for that one.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/booklets/5611top00.htm
And another version from the 55 shp manual.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1955/55csm0925.html

Then the 58 valve, then in 59 they made some changes to the seals and in 60, I believe there were more changes to the spool and seals. There may have been further refinements, but I believe the 60-62 pass and 63-82 valve was pretty much the same pass and Corvette except for the different pressure contolling spring.

Unfortunately, I believe there are only 2 rebuild kits out there now...one for 55-57 and the other for 58-82 without allowing for the differences. It could be that the kits have all the neccessary seals etc., but you have to determine which ones apply to your particular version of the valve.
:dunno

BB1960

Well Known Member
I didn't buy the one on ebay,but decided to rebuild my original which by looking at the 60 supplement to the shop manuals looks to have the same internals once dissasembled.

The only thing I'm not sure of now, is there appears to be an extra washer in the rebuild kit that I'm almost sure wasn't in the original control valve (I dropped a couple of the bits on the floor and mixed them up). Darn.

Also, there was no rubber dust boot provided in the kit (just seals etc), I'm assuming I should be good to replace with the steel one that came on the car.

The onther part that wasn't on the pscv was the end cap. I would imagine without this dirt could get into the valve and affect its operation.

Ive reassembled without the extra washer as per the workshop manual and will test it out soon.