New here hi everyone

Schack348

Looks like a great place here find a lot of good info I have an early 348 L/13/57 not drilled for spark plug coolers I had it all redone had to bore 90 over because of pitting in #1 cylinder head gasket went now I would like to get some performance from it what are some good aluminum heads and a cam to give a lope in idle if possible I don’t know how much tolerance is there Thanks for any help

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would go with Walla heads if you want aluminum. But your iron heads with some larger valves and bowl work should satisfy a 348+.
Jeff

Schack348

Muphdog thanks my block is the early1872 I’m assuming with no holes for spark plug coolers it has the 2791 heads also suggesting that I heard I will have to plug holes on heads when changing them I went threw this motor years ago and it’s basically stock other then being bored out 90 over because of a bad head gasket and sitting

Schack348

, Bob Walla Racing for your heads.What piston are you using?I need to know that to help with cam selection. :welcome2
Don Jacks it’s been quite a while since I went threw the motor they are I think at least 10.5 I remember motor was bored 90 over because of a bad head gasket

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No if pads aren't there, there is a drop down from deck surface. Yes drill and tap holes in heads for a threaded plug if it's not flush when installed have them milled just enough to get flat. I don't have picture of the difference in blocks(early to late) but I'm sure there's one on this site somewhere or someone has a pic they can post.

Schack348

Scott Hall thank you very much for the direction I know some but not a pro on the 348 nice to have all the people here willing to help.With that said when I built the 348 it is pretty much stock parts do you see a problem with the aluminum heads and a decent cam thanks!!

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That makes two of us, I'm not one of the smart guys. Depending on the pistons used will have to watch lift and duration. Don Jacks can set you straight on that. Just need to know for sure what pistons you have. I think most times guys stay in the 230-240 duration range at .050 lift. but like I said Don or someone can set you on the right path for certain.