May have found my winter 4 X 4

bobs409

Administrator
This is a bit frustrating as I have to wait until Friday to look at it because of the guys work schedule but if it goes through, I think I have my winter 4X4 problem solved.

How about this:
00101_4bQ2DCZLA8h_600x450.jpg

Here is the full story:
http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/4714927621.html

This is just what I need to putt around in bad weather and to put a snow plow on! I was even thinking of going with a drab flat army green on whatever I chose and this is already done for me. :D

I've been looking since spring and wasn't having much luck. Was going back and forth on either a Jeep Cherokee or Wrangler. Even considering an older S10 but not so much on that.

Now all I need is for him to not sell it before I get a chance. Reminds me of a 64 Chevy I once wanted to buy. Ended up being sold out from under me. Sure hope that doesn't happen this time.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Not to snow on your parade,Bob,but those 4 cyl.Jeep's are very weak in the power department,and thier durabality is so-so at best.If yore going to plow,the blade had better be very small,and forget using anything but low range in the transfercase.

bobs409

Administrator
Well, your looking at my latest toy! :D I just got back from 40 mile round trip in the pouring down rain at night to look it over. :scared I go to transfer the title tomorrow afternoon and then it's all mine. Luckily he was able to adjust his work schedule so I don't have to wait until Friday which would have driven me completely nuts!

It has a lot of new parts and is mechanically ready. Just inspected. Body will need a few small things taken care of but nothing major and remember, I don't scare easy. Just look at my wrecker project. :D Front floors aren't as bad as I thought. Runs real good.

I hear ya Don. I am planning on only a small plow like a 6.5 and just plowing my yard/driveway so should be ok. I'm already envisioning a hot little small block Chevy under that hood so... ;)

I get attached easily so I can see this thing still residing in my yard 30 years from now. :D

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
SBC would be an easy one, get a 4 speed like in your tow truck with a granny low for plowing. It would likely improve your gas mileage too.

Don

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks like you got a good deal there Bob. I'm hoping you won't need it much for plowing this winter!

bobs409

Administrator
Another one of those days but I am now a Jeep owner. :D

I think I caught ebola or my sinus's are acting up again. :D Last night out in the rain didn't help any. :(

So anyway, I fought my lousy death like feelings and profuse sweats today to go collect my new toy. Here it is in my driveway. The "before" shots:

DSCN3634.jpg DSCN3635.jpg DSCN3636.jpg

I think I might call it "The Beast". :D I think it's cool looking with the lift and sitting on 35's. I never had a lifted vehicle before so it's something new. It's a bit hard to get yourself up into this thing.

I've been saving (holding back) one detail about this Jeep. I'm on the fence about whether I'll keep it but the olive part is a heavy textured paint. It's like a truck bed coating on steroids. :D It's kinda neat but not sure if I'll keep it forever. I do like the drab olive green shade though. (for now)

So now I start the search for a good used plow. So far, not finding much so here we go again... At least I can stop scouring craigslist, ebay, the local newspaper and driving around car lots looking for 4 X 4's. I never thought it would be so hard to find something that didn't have 326K miles on it. (and one actually DID have that amount!)

So don't worry, I'm still a devoted old Chevy guy. I'd perish without my old Chevy's. Just now I have something to take out in the PA salt/snow without feeling too guilty. Guess it's time to change my signature on the forum again. This makes 10! Woo-hoo. :jive

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think you will like the jeep as a plow truck. I have owned plow trucks from small s10,1/2 ton ford, 3/4 ton chev, and now a 3/4 ton ford with a 8 and a 1/2 ft. that extends to 10 and a 1/2 ft. plow. The first plow was a 1952 jeep with a plywood cab and a 4 cyl. and it was probably the most maneuverable and fun plow vehicle of all.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I used to plow snow with an old military surplus Jeep when I was a teenager . Had a hand pump hydraulic system to raise the plow. Like Jim said Very easy to work with in close quarters. You will enjoy it.:beer

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
you are gonna love that thing. I've owned a Jeep for the past 20 years. Had several over that time frame. As I've gotten older I find that it is more difficult to get in and out and the one that I have now isn't lifted. Not that it matters but that is a CJ-7 top, they fit the Wranglers too, just the windows are a little smaller.

bobs409

Administrator
Bob,
you are gonna love that thing. I've owned a Jeep for the past 20 years. Had several over that time frame. As I've gotten older I find that it is more difficult to get in and out and the one that I have now isn't lifted. Not that it matters but that is a CJ-7 top, they fit the Wranglers too, just the windows are a little smaller.

Thanks Tommy. I have a lot to learn about these. Never owned or was even in one before yesterday! :D