Firing order change

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Has anyone built a motor using the 4-7 firing order swap? Are cam blanks even available to do this in the W-motor?

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
Firing order

Three impalas,

I have been giving this some thought recently. However, I would like to gather some more facts about how and why this is supposed to improve horsepower. Comp cams offers cams for B/B with the altered firing order, so there is a possibility they could make one for a W-motor. Anyone else have thoughts on this subject?

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I understand that it smooths out the engine at high rpm's. I read an article about how some of the pro stock people were going this route because it puts less strain on cranks and you get a little more hp. I'm going on memory here so it is highly suspect as to accuracy.:D Roy

Va348

Supporting Member 1
I have had Rollers made up for the LS1 firing on 3 Diff eng.
The firing order was 18726543 as you can see it very diff than 4-7 swap. There was not a big gain Better TQ on Dyno But no great gain on track.

The 4-7 swap was org. done too help life of cranks in big Cu in motors. And it help when you ran a Victor type Manifold about 10HP is all that you will see. I would do it if they offer at a fair price.

I had to pay 450.00 just to have cores made. 650.00 for core and grinding. Would I do this again Do not think so. Eng seem smooth in cars tho.

They do have cores for SM B and Big Blocks now for 4-7 swap, flat tappet,and Roller.

I do not think they would for W eng.

Dale