Engine runs better on only primary carb

Poppas409

Well Known Member
I have a 62 bubbletop 409 2x4. When I bought the car it had the stock afb carbs, ran terrible, got them rebuilt, still no oomph. Bought new edelbrocks and linkage, ran runs better but revs slow, driving it the other day the linkage came apart, where the barrel fittings hold rod to secondary carb, drove home on primary carb only. What a difference, it runs so much better, responds faster, revs faster. I have tried both ways of installing the linkage, 1to 1 and progressive. It ran better the progressive way. Obviously getting too much fuel using both carbs, how do I get the best results using both carbs. Thanks for the help

427John

Well Known Member
Do you know the specs on the engine, compression, cam, heads?I mean I could see this happening if someone installed a stock jetted 2x4 setup on a stock 340hp 409.A dual quad setup would work on a 340hp motor but would require recalibrating the carbs.

Poppas409

Well Known Member
It’s the 409/409. Running on just the front carb to try is also a good idea. Compression is 175 or so all the way around. I think the problem is the linkage, I guessing adjust it o secondary carb doesn’t open until primary carb is almost full throttle? I bought the edelbrock link because I thought it would be easier to adjust but the barrel nut on the secondary rod has a habit of coming loose no matter how tight I get it. Maybe locktite is the answer.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm using the Edelbrock linkage and never had an issue. We did have a bad float in a relatively new Edelbrock carb a few years ago.

Gofish

Well Known Member
Help me out - 1) do the 409/409 dual quads use a progressive linkage, 2) does the front carb have idle circuits, etc. or not?

Not trying to steal your thread, trying to learn.

John

Poppas409

Well Known Member
Pvs409. Excellent pictures, I assume the linkage is progressive? Do you prefer the stock linkage over the edelbrock? I will post some pictures when I take some bettter ones. Did everyone see the March of 2020 issue of Car Craft where the guy bought Dyno Dons 62 and put an LS motor in it...I don’t understand why you would do that. beautiful car, but not the same.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes the linkage is progressive, and it’s easy to adjust, fits better and easier to fit than Edelbrock linkage.

My 530 HP 409 runs 13.70’s 105mph in the 1/4 mile with street tires and without a big 9“ rear end. I don’t drag race it regularly.
Its scary in first and 2nd gear.

Poppas409

Well Known Member
I’m still working on my carb issue, am ordering new linkage from Showcars that says it will fit Edelbrock carbs. I like Pvs409 setup, at what rpm does your secondary carb start to open? I have the Edelbrock linkage now set at 1to1, direct, it’s too herky jerky to drive on the street, if I was racing it would be fine.