'58 - 348 Tri Power

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Holley 94's are even harder to find and get parts for,but both Edelbrock and Speedway Motors have new,more modern replacement carbs[about 900 dollars for a set of three] available.Add linkake,jets,and a 3-2 manifold,plus breathers,and fuel pressure regulators, and you're still .looking at 1400.dollars to complete your set up.One of our more "senior" members[wrench?] may have a complete W set up,already done using modified 2 gc's that I think he said would run about 1500 dollars,which would bee the best,easiest,smartest way to go for your application.The 94's were made for flatheads where 300 inches was a big engine.This where you'll trade "looks" for performance,kinda like those Thumper type cams trade "sound" over efficiency.A poor trade off,especially when you consider cost.An Edelbrock PerformerRPM small port intake new will cost you just under 400 dollars[new],and a Street Demon 625 will set you back less than 320[new],the Eddie 600 is just a little more than the Demon until you add the extra 20-30 dollars for the must have pholic heat spacer that you'll need for the Eddie carbs.You just have to decide.

Would you be able to help me find out if it is available? That would save me a lot of aggravation!!! Thank you
All this is costing me a lot more with the exchange rate :grumble:gaah

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Holley 94's are even harder to find and get parts for.............

Don, my car guy says he's got lots and lots of Holley 94. Would they work?
If not your suggested speedway option will have to do.
Are you referring to these: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Set-of-3-9-Super-7-3-Bolt-2-Barrel-Carburetors-Plain-Finish,50602.html
And if so will they produce enough CFM for this motor or should I say for my application.? Since I will probably use the motor to it's full power!
Or is that why you mentioned jets?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes they could be made to work for a cruiser,but they're too small to reach the potential of your 348.I'll send you a PM later as I'm checking with a couple of members about a 348 set up.If you're gonna make full power,you might want to rethink that transmission,they run from pretty weak for the units that came behind the 4.3 engines to :yikes for the ones that came behind the 2.8's.Yes,if you want to have good drivability and power,you're going to need jets for any of those 3 bolt carbs.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Yes they could be made to work for a cruiser,but they're too small to reach the potential of your 348.I'll send you a PM later as I'm checking with a couple of members about a 348 set up.If you're gonna make full power,you might want to rethink that transmission,they run from pretty weak for the units that came behind the 4.3 engines to :yikes for the ones that came behind the 2.8's.Yes,if you want to have good drivability and power,you're going to need jets for any of those 3 bolt carbs.

Thank you Don for all your help.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I have a new only ran twice Edelbrock 600 cfm 1405 4105 with hard line and chrome air cleaner I want to sell if your goin with a single carb. Also have a 409 single intake I want to sell. $400 for both.
Not sure if it was said but Edelbrock does make small port heads and I believe there is a block plate for the 58 - 59 348. I ended up parting my 59 out due to cracked block.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
I have a new only ran twice Edelbrock 600 cfm 1405 4105 with hard line and chrome air cleaner I want to sell if your goin with a single carb. Also have a 409 single intake I want to sell. $400 for both.
Not sure if it was said but Edelbrock does make small port heads and I believe there is a block plate for the 58 - 59 348. I ended up parting my 59 out due to cracked block.

Thanks for the offer sycsteve, but in the thread I do mention that I'm going tri-power. Thank you though. Cheers.

Last edited:

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I ran 3 off Holley 94's on a 60 over Ford FE 390 (401), the carbs were off a 56 Ford, each carb was rated at 185 cfm each with a total of 555 cfm, I am of the belief that the effective cfm is lower due to the triple set up.
I ran the carbs all on all off, no progressive linkage, the outer 2 carbs had the power valves removed and blanks installed, I ran this setup for 10 years with no issues, to be fair I could have got an extra 60 HP out of the engine if I went for a 2 x 4 setup, but I was after the 3 x 2 look.
Grubs 32 422.jpg Image068.jpg

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Now that the cat is out of the bag, I thought I'd just leave this right here.........:brow

IMG_4749_zpsijgdmbz7.jpg
IMG_4743_zpspssd0xfn.jpg

IMG_4744_zpsp2dm7cgu.jpg
Screen%20Shot%202017-02-23%20at%208.12.09%20PM_zpstsk3id3w.png

IMG_5452_zpsmfyoxnny.jpg
IMG_5464_zpsuovq5zrh.jpg
IMG_5462_zpsxuxefr2m.jpg
IMG_5451_zpshnmymxlg.jpg
IMG_4718_zpswqct6z4k.jpg
IMG_5459_zpsp3vepmhj.jpg
IMG_5455_zpsucb9ohld.jpg
IMG_5594_zpsppnik0n9.jpg
IMG_5595_zpszj80q2jm.jpg

One of the inspiration trucks:
Screen%20Shot%202017-04-19%20at%207.20.36%20PM_zpswrn5xdkj.png

Still a long way to go but getting there.
Cab is getting lightly dusted now, when it gets back we are chopping away, patch parts have arrived, motor goes to shop. And hopefully by the time it's stripped and cleaned, all the upgrade parts will be here on time. Stay tuned for motor rebuild pics....

Last edited:

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
That right hand picture about halfway down the page with the close up of the engine mount(very nice mounts,by da way),clearly shows that that head is a '58 only casting. The two small bulges in the block protruding out from the deck of the block under the spark plugs shows no coolant hole, so this is a replacement block, or maybe in late '58 they started using that block in production engines. At any rate, you're lucky. You can use any 348 or 409 factory head or an aftermarket aluminum head with no problems. That should clear up a lot of issues for you. Incidentally, nice headers! Also, what rear end is that?

'37-4D

Well Known Member
That right hand picture about halfway down the page with the close up of the engine mount(very nice mounts,by da way),clearly shows that that head is a '58 only casting. The two small bulges in the block protruding out from the deck of the block under the spark plugs shows no coolant hole, so this is a replacement block, or maybe in late '58 they started using that block in production engines. At any rate, you're lucky. You can use any 348 or 409 factory head or an aftermarket aluminum head with no problems. That should clear up a lot of issues for you. Incidentally, nice headers! Also, what rear end is that?

Greg thank you very much sir!!!!
I checked the heads and block casting numbers. Block 872 and heads 971. I see what you mean from the pics :good
The rear end comes from a 1965 Bronco, it's a 9"

Here is the most recent picture of it after stripping and the custom mounts with final welds.
Rear%20axlw%20weld_zps1eu2il7w.jpeg

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Little update:
Thanks to Tom Kotchtanek I was able to acquire this early '58 tri intake and 2gc carb set up.
I can't thank you enough Tom. Many thanks as well to Don Jacks for all the information and help.
There has been a slight delay starting on the motor, but I will be posting updates very soon.
IMG_6573_zpsmllffnyp.jpg

IMG_6574_zpsb47qzn6p.jpg