1962 tail light housings Impala VS Belair

denson1932

Well Known Member
It appears the tail light housings fit tight against the trunk lid on an Impala or SS due to the extra ornamental trim plates but even with the clear U-shaped gasket, on the Belair or Biscayne they are gapped away from the trunk lid...Or am i making an assembly mistake here?
I assumed the clear U shaped gasket goes on 'deep side out' as it tends to stay on a little better...I used super glue also.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
It appears the tail light housings fit tight against the trunk lid on an Impala or SS due to the extra ornamental trim plates but even with the clear U-shaped gasket, on the Belair or Biscayne they are gapped away from the trunk lid...Or am i making an assembly mistake here?
I assumed the clear U shaped gasket goes on 'deep side out' as it tends to stay on a little better...I used super glue also.
I looked at my 61's and suggest you do a "dry" fit without the gaskets. Remove the h section gasket from the bezel and the oval gasket from the back of the lamp. Dry fit the lamp to the lid and verify that the bezel edge contacts the deck lid before the base of the bezel touches down on the deck.

UPDATE: It looks like the tips of the screws from the trim ring on the lens actually sticks up past the flat on the base of the bezel. Mine are type b tipped screws which are flat. If your screws were replaced and are longer or type ab tipped (sharp tipped) they may be bottoming on the deck lid and holding the bezel edge off the deck lid. With the gaskets removed you should be able to see what is hitting if the lamps won't seat properly on the bezel.

I doubt they changed the bezel gap just for the Impalas since the thickness of the cove panel is pretty thin and could easily be made up for in the gasket thickness.
My lamps sit hard on the bezel edge and h section gasket and appear to pull a gap to the deck lid at the mounting studs.

From a design intent perspective this makes sense:
You want a nice tight fit at the gasketed bezel edge for aesthetics and have a thick gasket at the center to make a water proof seal for the bulb and wire pass thru hole.

It may be your oval gasket is old and too stiff and not compressing enough. You would be amazed at the forces foam gaskets can create at least for a while. They then usually relax and you can further tighten them within hours or days.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Well on my 63 I had the same issue with a large gap on some housing's. I got to checking and on 63 you can have on upside down and will still fit 's the mounting hole 's . I can't remember right now if there was also a left and right on the housing's,but I am thinking there was. The gasket on 63 did not play a role in fitment.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Remember that all 62 Impala taillights are marked left (L) and right (R) on the back side and must be mounted that way on the trunk.
With the Impala trunk panel or the Impala SS trunk panel there is no gasket on the outside edge of the tailights. The outside edge gaskets for the tailights are for Belairs and Biscaynes only.
Paul

denson1932

Well Known Member
My T/L housings are used. Some are more 'gapped' away than others. None appear to be obviously bent,deformed, or damaged although they are definitely 'patina' items. i mount the 'R' UP on the right side and the 'L' Up on the left side and also that is the only way they will mount because of the stud orientation. I think 1961 housings that were used as an example (mentioned above) are different than the 1962 and also the rear panel of the 61 is different than the 62.
The black gaskets i use behind the T/L housings are new soft foam and held in place with W/strip adhesive so they will not slip out of place. Since the used tail light housings are subject to years of scrubbing with brushes from car washing by previous owners, i suspect they get somewhat 'pried out' over the years. Anyway that's my story and i'm sticking to it....Also some of them came off an Impala so perhaps the previous extra deflection from the trim plate added to the equation...the assembly manual shows the clear gasket also and states there should be tight fit...did i miss the note eliminating use on Impala? see section 12 sheet 34...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have mostly NOS GM and original reanodized tailights on my 62's none of them fit tight all the way around. They are tightest at the top and bottom of each tailight against new SS and Impala trunk panels and one original SS trunk swirl panel.
None of them have gaskets on the outside edge of the tailights. I also have had at least 10 original Impala trunks over the last 15 years, none of the tailight housings had gaskets on the outside edge.
I had not seen that part of the assembly manual.
I have a friend in Sioux Falls who junked out about 100 61 and 62 chevys in the 70s/80/s . I can ask him but my observation is that I have not seen original Impala's with outside edge tailight gaskets.

I have a set of original GM- NOS 62 tailight edge gaskets(they are light yellow) I will check the part number with a friend who will tell me what they are to fit(they are part number 3793108 group no. 2.660)
I have seen the gaskets on Belair and Biscaynes tailghts.
Paul

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
My T/L housings are used. Some are more 'gapped' away than others. None appear to be obviously bent,deformed, or damaged although they are definitely 'patina' items. i mount the 'R' UP on the right side and the 'L' Up on the left side and also that is the only way they will mount because of the stud orientation. I think 1961 housings that were used as an example (mentioned above) are different than the 1962 and also the rear panel of the 61 is different than the 62.
The black gaskets i use behind the T/L housings are new soft foam and held in place with W/strip adhesive so they will not slip out of place. Since the used tail light housings are subject to years of scrubbing with brushes from car washing by previous owners, i suspect they get somewhat 'pried out' over the years. Anyway that's my story and i'm sticking to it....Also some of them came off an Impala so perhaps the previous extra deflection from the trim plate added to the equation...the assembly manual shows the clear gasket also and states there should be tight fit...did i miss the note eliminating use on Impala? see section 12 sheet 34...

Post a few pictures of your gapped condition so we can see how bad it is and if it is only in spots on the bezel. If you try the dry fit I suggested, you should be able to see what is holding you up. Other than the shape of the edge of the bezel, I bet the housings are pretty much the same from 61 to 62. Design wise the bezel should be hard down on the deck lid. Make sure those screw tips are not hitting....

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Post a few pictures of your gapped condition so we can see how bad it is and if it is only in spots on the bezel. If you try the dry fit I suggested, you should be able to see what is holding you up. Other than the shape of the edge of the bezel, I bet the housings are pretty much the same from 61 to 62. Design wise the bezel should be hard down on the deck lid. Make sure those screw tips are not hitting....
The 62 bezels are completely different then 61, having a V shape on the backside. There is no difference in 62 taillight bezel housings from Bel Air, Biscayne to Impala, they are all the same, other then they are L & R unlike 61. The only differences on 61 bezels is they are specific to brake/taillight and backup/taillight.

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I disagree on Belair and Biscayne tailights. The trunk lights on Belairs and Biscaynes are the same size housing but the socket sizefor the light socket is smaller, than an Impala. Ihave 4-6 of the smaller trunk only tailights for Belairs and Biscaynes.
I found this in removing tailights from Belair trunks. The tailights on the 1/4 panel are the same for all models for the socket size for wiring.

Paul

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
I disagree on Belair and Biscayne tailights. The trunk lights on Belairs and Biscaynes are the same size housing but the socket sizefor the light socket is smaller, than an Impala. Ihave 4-6 of the smaller trunk only tailights for Belairs and Biscaynes.
I found this in removing tailights from Belair trunks. The tailights on the 1/4 panel are the same for all models for the socket size for wiring.

Paul
When you hit the brakes on a 62 imp, the qtr panels go bright but do the deck lid ones go bright as well?
My point is the lid lamps on the imp could be park / brake lights and only park lights on a bel/bis.

On my earlier point, if you look at the back of those lights, they have 2 studs that pass through the deck lid and are attached with stamped nuts right?
They also have a gasket around the bulb socket area right?
If so, that is what I was saying was the same as 61 - the attachment scheme. I realize the bezel is cut different because of the deck lid shape ( the v and the taper from edge to center).
My point was the design should allow the edge of the visible bezel to touch the cove panel and the nuts should be pulling the lamp tight to the cove panel.
I assumed the guy who has the gaps used the right lamp for each hole but the way he described it there was a continuous gap between the bezel and the cove panel. If there are some local dents in the bezel a local gap may occur there but the whole bezel should not be floating in space.
What I noticed on my 61 was when the lamp was down tight, the tips of the screws that hold the lens on the lamp were awful close to the metal. If longer screws were somehow used, it would not take much to have those tips hit the metal and hold off the bezel from the cove panel right at the center area of the bezel.

denson1932

Well Known Member
I used the tail light housings with the smaller socket holes in the location for the back-up light....
I'm off fuming about the next problem...the ABSOLUTELY JUNK sold-for 1961-64 Impala license plate light assembly #166758 or [562451] or TA2184 or 40-166758 that is completely wrong. Wire lead comes out at wrong end and mounting bracket is incorrect.... wont mount up...The foreign countries dump crap on us and we buy it

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Paul
Paul, That is what I was trying to say but did not include 62 and was only refereeing to fit on 62.

denson1932

Well Known Member
Here some pixs to view of the tail light gap-osis....not a big deal i guess because the inner foam gasket protects from water seepage into trunk...

Attachments

• DSCF0615.JPG
    DSCF0615.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF0616.JPG
    DSCF0616.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF0621.JPG
    DSCF0621.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 46

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
With pictures it is now clear the shape of your metal and shape of the lamps don't match. There are just localized gaps with the adjacent areas hard down on the metal.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words or a bunch of posts...