1961 Chevy AC cars with 4spd.

nasblu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Could you get a 1961 Impala with AC and a 4spd. I was under the impression it was not available

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm not so sure. That shows the different models that AC was available on but doesn't consider any incompatibility issues with other options. Without access to Exception Letter Codes would probably have to go to the Order Form to find out if it could be ordered that way. I suspect the big problem would be the shifter banging against the center AC vent.
It was easier to tell in later years when they coded the engine suffix for AC

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i believe it was the need for deep grooves on the pulley's. sbc would spin off. jim

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I checked with the Man, Verne Frantz and he says A/C was not available from the factory with a 4 speed in 1961. Also, air was not available with the 305, 340, 350 or the 360 horse motors

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yep, it was available. I had a 61 4 door hardtop 348, 280 hp with a factory 4 speed. The original owner ordered it that way, put a trailer hitch on it so he could pull a trailer on the dusty roads of west Texas.
When I worked for a Chevy dealer I added at the store all of the SS stuff, had some 62 bucket seats covered with the 61 material. It was a real shock for many when my "thousand doors" 61 showed up with people stuffed in everywhere, and out they came, beer cans everywhere:)

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Forgot to add it had factory A/C, hot days in Texas were very cool inside. I must admit it did take a bit to get all that interior cold. It was the powder blue color with the matching interio. Somewhere I have a photo, if I find it and post it you guys have to promise not to laugh. I was 17 :)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Pat:
My first car car, bought by my Dad for me for $200 in 1967, was a 1961 Belair four door sedan. It was originally a 6 cylinder, but had a transplanted 283 two barrel and three-0n-the-tree. It was that same "bird's egg blue". She did not have AC. Very few options as I recall. Was yours an Impala?
TomK

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Pat,
Are you for sure that the dealer didn't either add the A/C or the 4 speed? I know it would be a lot of work but some dealers did it. There is a Chevy RPO that specifically says no 4 speed with A/C. Of course strange things happen

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Tommy, anything is possible.
I am positive the 4 speed and engine was factory. I was the second owner.

Back then a dealer could install an air unit because more were built without than with considering the entire product line. I remember rolling out the Cool Pak air conditioning kits for installation. What makes me believe it was a factory unit was how I remembered the compressor and the various valves in the system and how they were routed. The factory units were much cleaner in the installation and I believe the air ducts came out through the dash and were not the hang on version as was the Cool Pak kits.
Of course that was a few weeks ago and a few Buds later.
I'll have to leave it as unknown for the time being until I can find some photos, maybe something will turn up.

Thanks for all the info.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Just thought I would share the same 61 Impala I had, the one we have been discussing.
image.jpeg
Mine was the powder blue color with the matching interior.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I thought they changed the rules after the brochure was printed. Not available on 4 drs?

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Great questions, I certainly do not have the answers. I'm sure someone has the answers:)