1961 bubble top belair

shane

Hi I have a 1961 Bel-Air bubble top with a 348 tri, supposed to be 335hp, however I unsure if the 335hp version came out in 1961, can anyone help with this please

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Do you know whether your 348 is "original" to the '61 Belair? Why do you suspect it might be a 335 horse build?

If there is a suffix code stamped on the front pad, what would that be (FA, FH, etc.). And what is the date code cast on the rear flange, does it match up with your cowl tag data? I assume it would be an "011" casting?

Some pics might help if you need to decode what is on the body and on the engine :).

Cheers! TomK

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Hi I have a 1961 Bel-Air bubble top with a 348 tri, supposed to be 335hp, however I unsure if the 335hp version came out in 1961, can anyone help with this please
Post a photo of the cowl trim tag and we'll see if it has the right code to be an original 348, it might have been swapped in later.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Whoa! Carl, you can tell from the cowl tag? That's awesome, I did not know that!

Here's mine:
View attachment 143433

and here's the current status of that '61:
All good Tom, most plants stamped a code for the engine badge that was fitted to the trunk lid (as you know, each engine got a different badge on the trunk of a 61, except none on the tailgate of wagons), but not all plants stamped the codes, luckily St Louis did and according to your cowl tag, this is a coronna cream Belair sport coupe, the date code is missing, which St Louis commonly forgot to do in 61. The ACC codes are for a 348 and tinted windshield. She must have had a color change.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That's really good to know :). I purchased her long ago from the original owners. It's a 3-on-the-tree car. They mentioned they used to street race the car back in the day and blew the engine then parked it. They were car guys, and kept everything except the engine. I saw the lake where they disposed of it :).
I did strip her down to bare metal and put a coat of primer on her, hence the black color. Quarters and rockers are original, but frame was bent to I sourced another one out (all things) a 1961 Impala Sport Coupe 348 four speed car. Totally rusted out but with an OK frame. I snagged the column, the BW T-10 and shifter as well. No posi. Crushed the car but have the tags somewhere.

At some point the car was vandalized on their open lot, all the glass was in pieces, and the floors rusted out. Started on it decades ago, then lost interest when I purchased the 1962 SS car I shifted gears to focus on that project.

Thanks! Tom K