1955-64 rear axles

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A few weeks ago there was some discussion about axles. I always thought they were all interchangable but some suggested otherwise.
Does anyone have the absolute break down for which years are exactly alike? Not a guess but actuall fact. Thanks.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't know if this is legible or not. I scanned and resized it to meet the 100kb limit. If it isn't readable I can email it to you.:dunno

This is from Colvin's "Chevy By The Numbers 60-64" There is a similar chart in the 55-59 book.

Attachments

• rear axle chart3.jpg
    rear axle chart3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 125

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks OldSkyDog. That's exactly what I was looking for. You wouldn't happen to have that 55-59 book by any chance?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ask and Ye Shall Receive.

These are great reference books. If you don't have them I would highly recommend getting them. They're not perfect, nothing is, but they are a great source. Hell, you could even write the expense off since your in the business.:cool:

I have rescanned and resized this about 10 times and can't get it any better. Send me your email addy and I'll send it as an attachment.:dunno

Attachments

• rear axle chart55-59C.jpg
    rear axle chart55-59C.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 85

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks again. They both printed out quite well.
Going by that list, the 55-56 are the same the 57 and 58 the same and 59-64 the same.
I have the chance to stock these axles, made in the USA and I wanted to see how many different ones I would have to stock to cover 1955 through 1964. open rear ends.
By the way, according to the list 1962 Corvette and 1962 pass car are different . Vet shorter on the left by 9/16". longer on the right by 1/16". I wonder why some of the differences? I used the 62 as an example cause I had a 62 Vet that I bent an axle and I took one out of a 62 Impala and it worked fine. But it was the right side which is only 1/16. I guess that wasn't enough to matter. When I talk to the axle manufactuer I'll hear from him if they make the axles to these specs or maybe there's a "workable" tolerance.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike, You mention "open" rear ends. The axle lengths for open and posi. are the same, as far as I know. Can't find anything in the chart that shows they are different. Am I over looking something?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The list Skydog provided shows a difference in length for the 57 and 58 posi vs open axles only. The 59-64 listing does not differentiate between the two. To tell you the truth I'm amazed that any of these would have different lengths at all!

gearhead409

Well Known Member
1958 delivery

some 57-58 axles will bottom out in the posi unit. this is why GM made the posi axles shorter, in 59 all axles were made short enough to not bottom out in the posi unit.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
some 57-58 axles will bottom out in the posi unit. this is why GM made the posi axles shorter, in 59 all axles were made short enough to not bottom out in the posi unit.

If you take a look at the "list" the posi axles are longer, not shorter!

gearhead409

Well Known Member
1958delivery

i understand what you are saying, GM part books says the same thing BUT, the posi spider gear cross pin is alot wider in this area. the open carrier cross pin is smaller. it would stand to reason the posi would need shorter axles. the frist time i ran into this was with a 57 chevy we races back in the 60s. if the axle bottoms out in the carrier, it will trash an axel bearing real quick.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Also there were bearing differences/changes that could affect the axle length with accompanying wheel offset changes to maintain tread width.